Static owner

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi All

I'm a new owner of a pre-owned static caravan, only had my now pride and joy for 3 weeks but totally besotted. Joined this site as forums are usually a good source of advice and info. So far though I seem to be reading more about tourers on here - although some things do apply to both. Any static members want to say hello plz let me know you are out there. Also anyone a member of Gostatic.co.uk I keep trying to post etc only to be told I need to post 10 times to qualify - so chicken and egg situation there ! Can't post, can't qualify, cant qualify can't post or am I missing something here
smiley-undecided.gif

Arronbrook

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Not sure whether there are any static owners on here......although, wait a minute, I do seem to recall a thread recently from someone who I think was asking questions about static owning, so there may possibly be one or two. But hello anyway! Whereabouts in the country is your static situated?

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for reply Sue, good to know I'm "active" on this site at least
smiley-smile.gif
Our caravan is at Bridlington, East Yorkshire Coast. We are new to all this caravan stuff, so much we are not sure about i:e practicality of using it in colder months - November & March, also drain down for winter. I would presume you are tourers so don't have the same problems.
Happy Holidays
Kathryn AKA Arronbrook

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Lots of people on here, us included (although we are presently caravanless
smiley-cry.gif
) use their tourers throughout the winter, so should be able to offer you some advice - some may also be relevant to static owning! lol Tourers have to be drained down during the winter (or at least they should be, if you value your van and don't want to have to make very costly repairs to burst water tanks/pipes), so I would imagine that's similar to your situation. I'm not the best person to offer technical advice (being a blonde completely non-techie minded female, lol), but lots of others on here are, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you with any queries you may have, so ask away.

Oct 19, 2006
Visit site
I work with statics you must drain down in the winter months as the frost will damage everything, if you site offers this service would reccomend as they should warranty this and would be liable if any damage is done as it can be expensive if the boiler freezes etc.As with tourers any condensation in the morning wipe this away or open wndow stps the damp getting in and the curtains going mouldy. But most of all enjoy carravanning wether its mobile or static! we have a tourer so I sit in both camps lol
Ann

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
arronbrook said:
.........I keep trying to post etc only to be told I need to post 10 times to qualify - so chicken and egg situation there ! Can't post, can't qualify, cant qualify can't post or am I missing something here
smiley-undecided.gif

Arronbrook

Hi Arronbrook, welcome
I'm not sure about other forums but normally the ten post qualification rule is for when you try to add links or URL's to posts.
This is to prevent spammers from advertising on forums using links to their 'services'.

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for this we were debating whether to drain down ourselves but have decided to get a contractor to do it as the warrranty is worth having for peace of mind during the winter months if frost is such a problem. Also never thought of curtains going mouldy only stuff in cupboards so will watch out for that too. Any idea how much those panel heaters cost to run there is one in the bathroom and bedroom run off the electric supply but not sure if we would incurr a horrendous bill if we use on a regular basis, there is no way of knowing until the bill comes as you can't see the meter. Its been fine so far as it soon warms up from the bit of sun but would be nice to have the bathroom warm in the coming weeks.

Kathryn

Oct 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi they should be low wattage so no too expensive to run about 3 light bulbs,also when you pack up for winter leave doors open and curtains so that people can see inside and see theres nothing worth pinching if you must leave the tv hide it away! best to leave bowls of salt out as this absorbs moisture ,a lot of our customers stack the cushions up in the middle of the lounge and cover them as the sun is still strong through the glass
Ann

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi we had a static for 10 years before coming back to a tourer. In our 1st static we had a couple of the panel heaters however when we purchased our second we decided against them. We didn't use our van in autumn months or early spring just from Easter onwards. We did have a couple of oil filled radiators which we used when needed and found that we didn't use them a lot although they can be heavy on electric (only found this our whilst using at home) our caravan electric bill was never too bad. We had double glazing in both vans and found that the curtains didn't go mouldy - we closed them from about October to February and then opened them leaving the nets closed and felt that it helped air the caravan. We never put salt down although a lot of our friends did. We also never upending the cushions and never found a problem. Regarding draining van I would agree that you would be safer to get the site owners to do it if they offer this as was pointed out if there are any problems they should stand over it. Having also worked for a caravan park owner there was always people who didn't drain vans and always burst pipes so be prepared. Hope you enjoy your van and certainly make the most of it. Olive

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Olive, it does sound as though the problems in winter vary from person to person or caravan to caravan. Thinking burst pipes must be the worst definately going to go with having the site official drain down so we are hopefully covered for any event. As we won't be using the van from end November to beginning of March will also upend the cushions etc just for a bit more piece of mind. Its going to be a long winter we have only had the van a few weeks and so would love to have used it a lot more before shut down, still something to look forward to in the spring -
smiley-smile.gif

Kathryn

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
What is this thing people have about putting bowls of salt in their caravan as it does not work and never will work unless you block up every conceivable hole? Caravans hav so many vents that you cannot close so basically all you are tryingt o do is dry out the atmosphere whichj is immediatley replced with more damp air.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts