Status 530

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The Status 530 came fitted in the van, when we tune the Tv into it it is fine, but the problem arise's when we have switched the Tv off and every time we switch back on we have to retune the Tv, took the Tv indoors to test and found it was OK.
We dont do/want sky/freeveiw etc etc
Any ideas, suggestions most welcome, Thanks

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
What you are describing sounds more like it's to do with the telly. When you test it indoors, is the telly still plugged in to power even though it's turned off? Sounds like it is losing it's tuning when you disconnect power which is not unreasonable and something you'll not fix because it's in the van.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Cruzer said:
What you are describing sounds more like it's to do with the telly. When you test it indoors, is the telly still plugged in to power even though it's turned off? Sounds like it is losing it's tuning when you disconnect power which is not unreasonable and something you'll not fix because it's in the van.

Hi Cruzer, when in the van it was always plugged in , and was on standby when not in use, so power light was always on.
hope this helps

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kev
If the tv works normally when not in the caravan then the aerial couldn't have been picking up the correct signal for the area.
Did you turn on the signal booster?
Look at local properties or neighbouring caravans to see which way the tv aerials are pointing and align yours with them. The Status 530 can be turned and the also moved to pick up horizontal or vertical signals by turning the mounting post which can be raised and lowered and by turning the handle on the bottom of the post.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Parksy, learnt how to change the direction etc and yes the booster was on, but on reading the instruction's again looks like I can pull out the telescopic antenna's so maybe that will be the final tune it needs.
Will try at home at the weekend and see if I can make progress.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The information that I have was that the telescopic extensions make no difference because they are for European use.
It might be that the digital signal in North Somerset isn't very strong or was obscured by hills or trees.
In three and a half years we've never used the extensions and we get a good picture but when we've been around Weston, Brean etc the signal strength has been variable and we've sometimes had to re-tune up to twice a day to get rid of the Welsh language programmes which are beamed across the Bristol Channel.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
The information that I have was that the telescopic extensions make no difference because they are for European use.

Think you are right (again) read that as well a bit earlier.

Do you think a signal finder will be of any use ? may be worth a tenner off flea bay

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
There is a signal strength/quality meter built in to most of the sets in a sub menu.you can then fine tune direction bit at a time

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
IMHO aerials are a waste of time & space. Far better to use a satellite dish as you always know where the signal is coming from and can point it in that direction to pick up a crystal clear pictrue withourt double images and snow on the screen. Takes less than 5 minutes to set up once tou get the hang of it. For more info have a look at http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
°
Before you go splashing any more cash first of all have a look Here Kev,with particular regard to scanning with the aerial unplugged to clear the tv memory before re-scanning to programme the set. Try the tv in different locations, there could have been a poor signal at Stowford. If the problem remains ask Stowford Caravans to check the aerial and the signal booster when you go back there for the readers rally. We had to have both our aerial and later our signal booster replaced under warranty, the aerial was replaced after 1 month from brand new and apparently there was a faulty batch. If the aerial has ever been turned fully 360° or more the cable could have become disconnected and the entire unit which is non repairable will have to be replaced under guarantee.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
IMHO aerials are a waste of time & space. Far better to use a satellite dish as you always know where the signal is coming from and can point it in that direction to pick up a crystal clear pictrue withourt double images and snow on the screen. Takes less than 5 minutes to set up once tou get the hang of it. For more info have a look at http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

Hi Surfer, I have up until now always used a "digi" aerial on a pole attatched to the A frame, and have never had a problem with it.
As the Status is fitted it would be nice to use it!!!!!!!!!!
We only really use the Tv for the news and the Grandson so if i had my way there would be no Tv at all
smiley-smile.gif

So I dont think I will be going down the "Dish" route, maybe if all else fails it will be back to the pole.
But then along comes----------

Parksy to the rescue
smiley-laughing.gif
thanks for that will go down that road and see what comes of it, cheers

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
We couldn't get a sat signal on a camp site in France last year due to trees so we had to sit outside and all we had to do was talk and drink red wine...............

......................... I just hope we are never faced with that dilema too often as the wine cost about 3 euros.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Tuning without the aerial doesnt always clear the memory.The best way to be sure is go to First Time Installation,which also resets all the software.

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
My status 503 didn't work on a brand new van. On investigation the ariel was plugged into an output socket. Plugged it in correctly and it still didn't work - the amplifier was faulty although red light was on. The amplifier was replaced under warranty and it has worked perfectly ever since (12 trips now)

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gagakev, when you set up your Status 530 on site do you consider the type of transmiter you are tuning in to.
Some transmiters require the aerial to be horizontal and some vertical. If you get it wrong the signal strength will be severly reduced. When the signal from the transmiter is weak it can make the difference between a picture or no picture.
When approaching a site we always look to see whether the aerials on houses are horizontal or vertical.
Also make sure your pole is fully extended.
Hamer

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Hamer, looked at all the other's on site and they were all horizontal so copied them basically.

Thanks so far for all the replies, lots there to play around with over the weekend, I'll let you know how i get on.
Also just phoned the dealer to let them know there may be a problem with it, so fore warned them just in case.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had a problem tuning our Avtec tv at Stowford last year. Talking to the people in the accessory shop there can be problems in some of the lower areas. they loaned me a signal meter to check my system and it was OK.
Turned out I was not tuning the Avtec correctly for the digital signal.
smiley-embarassed.gif

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
ive never had a problem with the 530 its been a very good aerial. i can't believe for one minuite the aerial is at fault here after all its job is to collect the signal and send it to the tv the tv then stores the information not the aerial even if its a week signal the tv is still responsible for storing that week signal.
incidently i have allways believed that the pull out section of the antenna is only for fm radio reception as stated earlier by another poster it will make no difference to the tv reception.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive , have bought myself a signal finder ready for the weekend so hope it will make it a bit easier,

Icemaker, not quite sure what is at fault at the moment, but would add that the Tv we use in the van is the one we have in the dining room which is used 2 or 3 times a day and since putting it back in the dining room I have not had a problem with it. in actual fact when I put it back in on Sunday I did'nt have to re-tune it. It picked up the home signal straight away.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Kev Id love to answer this one ,but I think you ahve enough to go on,Im pretty sure you will find the solution is a simple one and you wil be away with the mixer in no time at all.
I see from your post satellite is not an option but I have to say I was like you but found a site we go to it was a case of no satellite no tv and as all the family used to congregate around our van we had to go for satellite.Not trying to tempt you in any way,Ive just had second hernia op and Im bored so I thought Id post
Good luck ,if you ever decide to go satellite let me know , all knowledge comes free of charge
Sir Roger

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
SirRogerFartingtonFortesqueSmyth said:
Ive just had second hernia op and Im bored so I thought Id post
Good luck ,if you ever decide to go satellite let me know , all knowledge comes free of charge
Sir Roger

Now then Sir Roger,sorry to hear of your misfortune (again) .
I have told you time and again to leave those white goods alone,
Its not so much the loading it;s lugging the washing up the garden path.
Really dont want to go down the sat route, but thanks anyway, if I do end up on
a site with no signal HEAVEN will have arrived, and the grandson will just have to watch more DVD's
Get well soon Sir Rog ,hope it's not stopping you going away .

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Just an update chappies,
Pluged in signal finder,
Connected Tv
Did the first installation bit on the Tv
Switched it on and off and it held the signal, so next test will be on site in a few weeks.
Thanks for all your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts