Status aerial 530/5 installation

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Has anybody installed a Status aerial 530/5? What access is required inside the van to adjust it for optimum performance and are there any pitfalls to watch out for! Aerial Shack are selling it for £110, any where cheaper? Thanks for any help - John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi John

I've never installed one but they are normally installed above wardrobes so that the adjusting pole and winder mechanism projects down into the wardrobe out of sight and the status signal booster is fitted inside the wardrobe.

The obvious pitfalls would be to make sure that you avoid ceiling struts and electrical wiring when you cut the aperture.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Full instructions are on Grade's web site as a PDF file; installation is easy if there is the space. The only difficult bit is building up the courage for that big hole!

I fitted the long version in my previous van; I wish that my current van maker had used the long one rather that the short one. They work well for an aerial of that physical size.

http://www.gradeuk.co.uk/assets/pdfs/530_ENG/530_ENG.pdf

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The satellite is a lot more hassle, and can be a lot wetter than just turning the pre installed aerial from inboard till your signal finder says there is enough signal. Then leaving the set to sort its tuner out as you put the kettle on.

But the satellite is very much more a consistent performer.

We carry a sat system if we have doubts about the terrestrial digital TV signal, so camping in rural locations that is quite frequent!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote: The only difficult bit is building up the courage for that big hole!

Oh yes! and never a truer word spoken

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
Before I exchanged the 315 for a 530/5, I asked Swift for a drawing of the roof construction for our 2002 Eccles Onyx. They very kindly sent this which showed that there is large wooden block in the roof to support it. I removed the 315 and fitted a blanking plate, then drilled a 44mm hole through this and the roof. The plate held the hole saw in line. You must ensure that the hole is vertical. The only snag I had is that the Onyx has double the depth of roof due to the TV cabinet. However, the clamp nut does JUST grab the pole. I also needed to modify the panel with the 240v/12v/aerial sockets to allow access.

Works very well and no need to set up an external aerial.

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Morning all - I thought I should update you regarding the installation of a Status aerial 530/5 in my 1998 Abbey Vogue GTS 216. The original Status aerial was fitted above an overhead locker which, provided the internal shelf is removed, had enough depth to accomodate the mast of the new aerial when it is retracted. This area was the only practical place to fit the aerial and did have a block of timber fitted withihn the roof structure to provide a secure anchorage. Swift were kind enough to supply a detailed drawing showing this block of wood.

Great care was now necessary to cut the hole for the mast such that the tapered washer and locking ring fitted against the ceiling would be clear of all obstruction and would pull up to a flat surface. Once this was sorted out it was fairly straight forward with the help of the instruction sheet to install the complete aerial.

After consultation with Grade UK I did use a 50mm hole saw as opposed to 45mm and this proved advantageous in that it allowed a little latitude to position the mast truly vertical.

Being a pessimist I have run a bead of sealer around the mounting plate and over the screw holes that secured the old aerial.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts