status arial

May 15, 2007
Visit site
dont think it does anything, mind you i dont think the arial does much anyway thats why i use an external clip on one , much better reception !!!

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
The spike is for FM radio reception. You can buy replacements but others have used the end off a sealant tube just for appearance.

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
dont think it does anything, mind you i dont think the arial does much anyway thats why i use an external clip on one , much better reception !!!
Yes i dont use status much i have a arial on a pole i was just wondering why they have the spike on top

Thank Graham

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Sorry SMS, wrong!

The spike on the top of a Status 315 is to help with vertically polarised TV signals as the aerial itself is predominatley horizontally polarised.

FM in the UK and most of Europe is mainly mixed polarisation nowadays so it matters not which way up the aerial is trying to receive.

[All UK FM transmissions were, at the start, horizontal is that polarisation is better suited to rejecting locally generated electrical noise. However it didn't work well with vertical car aerials when FM car radios started appearing in the early 80's. As in-car listening is a huge market the broadcasters had to take account of their needs plus those of their existing domestic listeners (with horizontal aerials) so the polarisation was changed to either slant (which contains both horizontal and vertical components) or mixed - which is both horizontal and vertical at the same time.]

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry SMS, wrong!

The spike on the top of a Status 315 is to help with vertically polarised TV signals as the aerial itself is predominatley horizontally polarised.

FM in the UK and most of Europe is mainly mixed polarisation nowadays so it matters not which way up the aerial is trying to receive.

[All UK FM transmissions were, at the start, horizontal is that polarisation is better suited to rejecting locally generated electrical noise. However it didn't work well with vertical car aerials when FM car radios started appearing in the early 80's. As in-car listening is a huge market the broadcasters had to take account of their needs plus those of their existing domestic listeners (with horizontal aerials) so the polarisation was changed to either slant (which contains both horizontal and vertical components) or mixed - which is both horizontal and vertical at the same time.]
Hi Woody I still dont see how that plastic spike works there is no wire to it, is it just for show

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd bet that if you cut the spike open you'd find a copper wire or braid embedded in it which couples to the antenna in the dome. Thats how fibreglass aerials work. It may not be a direct electrical connection either - if it's designed properly it may use either capacitive or inductive coupling. You won't get that with the nozzle off a sealant tube

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
And don't forget if you are in an area served by a low powered booster you'll usually find that it's vertically polarised, thats why some people have their normal roof aerials vertical rather than horizontal.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
If you have the status 530, or any adjustable aerial,finding the transmitter is very easy with this link, all you do is put the post code of the site you are on into the box, a compass does help :eek:)

Transmitter finder

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd bet that if you cut the spike open you'd find a copper wire or braid embedded in it which couples to the antenna in the dome. Thats how fibreglass aerials work. It may not be a direct electrical connection either - if it's designed properly it may use either capacitive or inductive coupling. You won't get that with the nozzle off a sealant tube
You are right Dave i went to clear the snow from roof of caravan and looked at the plastic spike that as now fell off and there is a stiff wire rod inside the plastce spike.So i could now use a sealant tube as the outher only covers the small metal rod thanks for your reply

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts