Staying on port overnight Portsmouth

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi. Has anyone stayed overnight in the lanes at Portsmouth. Brittany Ferries website says this is possible after midnight if you are leaving on an early morning ferry. Also wondered if they are strict about midnight or if you can park there earlier.

Reactions: Dodger524

Hobbyt600

BANNED
Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Regarding overnight parking at the ferry port at Portsmouth, Brittany Ferries website advises as follows

For early morning sailings, you can park your caravan or motorhome in the check-in lanes after midnight. Your vehicle is parked at your own risk and should not be left unattended. No port facilities are open overnight.

How much latitude you should expect over the ‘after midnight’ restriction may depend on when you arrive and how busy the ferry-port is. I think the latest sailing in 2020 will be at 23:30 to Le Havre, and from that time on the check-in lanes should be available for overnight parking and the check-in booths should be closed until the following morning. If it is quiet and there’s room to do so, Brittany Ferries are also normally prepared to allow parking on the periphery of the embarkation area.

Your enquiry comes up quite often on motorhome forums and it’s commonly suggested that, rather than overnight at the ferry-port itself, it’s more pleasant to stay on the large car-parks at Port Solent about 10 minutes drive from the port. This is an attractive proposition for motorhomes and I normally stay there for an hour or so before taking an afternon sailing to Ouistreham. But parking there might be trickier for anyone towing an 8-metre twin-axle caravan.

(Port Solent car-parks GPS coordinates below)

50°50'26.2"N 1°05'43.0"W

50.840613, -1.095267

Reactions: Dodger524
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Portsmouth terminal in the evenings can be quite confusing if there are three sailings within a few hours to Spain, Caen and Economie to Le Harvre a. Not conducive to a restful evening.
This is one reason we have switched to Plymouth for overnights to France

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We were going to stay at Poole Ferryport for our trip to France in June. Not happening now of course.
mel

Post edit. sorry just realised how old the original thread is.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I've used the 08.45 crossing from Portsmouth to Spain a couple of times and each time I've arrived at Portsmouth around 8pm in the evening to find vehicles already parked up in the checkin lanes. A BF marshall is in attendance to tell you where to park. The area is well lit overnight and I've found it quiet on both times. Be ready to go through the checkin process or maybe move to a different lane by 06.30.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts