Stays greasing

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I know you have to keep your stays well greased, but looking at mine I think I would give them a good degrease and clean first as just squirting more grease on will just hide another coat of dirt n muck, what do others do and how and (if) you clean em off what do you do and what is the best sort of grease or lubricant to re protect em again

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its a messy job,clean all the old grease off with paraffin, white spirit or anything which will remove the grease.
They do not need to "well greased", they just need to have a spray of motorcycle chain lube along the length of screw thread and at the pivot points.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Its a messy job,clean all the old grease off with paraffin, white spirit or anything which will remove the grease.
They do not need to "well greased", they just need to have a spray of motorcycle chain lube along the length of screw thread and at the pivot points.

Somehow I doubt this is done when a dealership services a caravan as many times I have noticed that there is thick layer fo grease on the screw thread. Probably easier and quicker for them to plaster on new grease instead of removing the old grease.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have noticed that it's manufacturers/dealers that use large amounts of grease, sometimes very foul smelling.
When I did my own servicing, and the subsequent mobile mechanic I used, the big lumps of grease were removed and then re-greased with a thin, but adequate, layer of LM grease in my case because it was there to hand and spray silicone grease by the mobile mechanic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts