Steal a van but write a receipt first!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
In todays Daily Mail there is an article where a guy was in his microlight aircraft and saw someone pull down the fence to his neighbours caravan storage area/park hook up a van and drive off all in about a minute.He gave chase in his microlight and rang his neighbour who sat off in persuit down the A1 the police were called and the vehicle was stopped the 57 year old woman produced a handwritten receipt! the site owner knew it was not for sale but despite this and the other guy being a witness they let her off with a caution for handling stolen property!!!!!!!!!!!!! The moral is simple when you want to change your van write yourself a receipt first and then pinch the van of your choice from yout local dealer/caravan park this will be cheaper than buying and you will be safe in the knowledge that if caught you will only get a caution.What do we pay the police for and is it any wonder that vans are stolen on a regular basis,just look at some of the recent postings from the victims to see the distress caused,I think the police work on the basis ' well its insured'...........On a side issue does anyone know how the young lady is that was seriously injured when scum stole her fiancee's van.

May 2, 2005
Visit site
I also read this and could not believe what I was reading. I am a serving police officer and I am having great difficulty understanding this one. The fence was damaged, the caravan obviously stolen and nothing more than a caution, if report is accurate. I find this amazing.

On the point about "well it's insured". We don't work on that basis. There must be more to this story but I'm dammed if I can up with a scenario to justify a caution rather than a charge or two....

May 12, 2006
Visit site
As a straight forward member of the public, I am also having difficulty understanding why no charge ? Can we just go out and steal what we want. I think the CC and the C&CC should write to the Chief Constable for an explanation. What I do find incredible is the complancent attitude of the Insurance Companies in all of this debacle.

Val & Frank

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
This is a Magazines Forum! Caravan Security and theft is a big issue. Have PC magazines new Ed dispatched his hot shoe top journo in that direction to get the issue looked into.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
In another paper the story was repeated much as before except that at the end they stated that the woman was cautioned and that two men were released pending further enquires,bet they will be bound to be easy to find again teayh right.On a non PC note the vehicle used was a transit van read into that what you will,I know what I do and even less chance of seeing them again.

Aug 15, 2006
Visit site
I was also mystified and horrified when I read this article but my later understanding of the event was that the owner had agreed to sell the van but was not expecting the lady in question to take it away when she did.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts