stealth prices?????

May 22, 2006
Visit site
has anyone noticed with sites these days you end up paying for everything? what you thought was going to be a cheap site turned out to be no cheaper than the one you didnt go to....extra for kids, dogs, awnings and even the cara stores....i know that wages have to be covered but alot of people seem to be jumping on the bandwagon of how really popular caravanning has become in the last few years and really cashing in....dont get me wrong i absolutely love it and wouldnt swop a wet n windy weekend in my van for a sun soaked one in spain...you relax in a van even if you are only half hour from home...

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I have to say, I pay for a pitch and don't expect to pay extra for an Awning although I'm often forced to in the UK.

Last year in Ireland and in Europe I felt as usual that I got a better deal at commercial sites than in the UK.

A huge looking pool and water slides in France is normally a huge pool and slide, look two or three times at UK campsite brochures with a couple at the end of the pool and a kid on a water slide and you realise the brochure photographer has used camera angle to stretch the size of what's on offer.

G

Unfortunately, there is a definte price factor to pay for holidaying in the UK. Over the last few years of trips on both sides of the Channel I can estimate fairly accurately a 30-40% penalty in the UK for the general cost of a holiday. I also agree with Cris that whereas in France a pool is taken for granted in the majority of sites, as is usually a bar/restaurant, here anything like that is considered very uch an anachronism, unless you go to the Butlins type of site, which are not my scene. That is why I tend to pay the fuel costs and head over the water for my main holidays, at the end of the day it is much cheaper, and of course the weather is usually much more pleasant. I could never see the attraction of kids building sand castles on the beach, wrapped up in anoraks. Any kid I ever spoke to, me (big kid) included, would always jump at the chance to do that activity in a hot environment. Long walks in the rain day after day, may appeal to many people, but I regret I am not one.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
On continental sites we have generally found hot showers are free, and hot water freely available to those that need or want to use site facilities.

Even washing machines have been a lot cheaper than here.

Rather than UK cheap burgers and frozen chips etc from camp site shops and bars we have found good quality fresh and freshly prepared quality foods on reasonably priced sites.

Some larger sites have their own bakery and even butchery supplying quality cuts and freshly roasted chickens and meats.

Also we have noted toilet and washing facilities cleaned numerous times a day.

A lot of british site owners could learn a lesson or two :-(

G

As my van has the door on the offside, I have experienced that one, fortunately not too often.

However, to play 'devil's advocate' the sites in France are usually much less congested, except in July/August. Here in the UK the sites can be full every weekend and a lot of other times as well. It is the major difference between here and France. They have a much larger country and the same population so things are much more spread out. The UK has also very high business rates and as we are now seeing, private enterprise is not encouraged. And of course, the wine is far too expensive here.

So that is all agreed??? We all move to France and would the last one to leave please switch the lights off. Oh, there is no gas so no electricity anyway.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Well Scotch Lad, I am moving to France so will leave someone else to turn the lights out ;-)

I've ordered my LH drive car as well for January.

Married to a teacher we have had to Holiday in peak times in France.

Even on huge sites with over 600 pitches we have found them quieter at night time and people more respectful than here as well as better and cleaner facilities than here and good food!

G

Cris,

Good luck with your move to France. I am envious in a way, but having lived in many countries I also recognise that not everything is perfect and as your age increases the requirements also change. That is why I think that emigration should always be done as young as possible, it allows more time to settle in and for friends to be made. Once you are retired then matters can be totally different, your family are probably settled in the UK so you are the ones leaving them. Selling and buying houses also does cost fees, and it can be very easy to 'lose' any financial advantage you first thought you were going to make. Also you have to consider the possible loss of one partner, and how the other will be able to cope. Yes, it can, and is done, but does take more thought.

We are off to France next week again for over 3 months. No doubt we will again look at the sales windows of the estate agents and start planning, but will probably end up returning for Xmas and thinking again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts