Steep drive and winch?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It occurs to me that with the removal of the need to display a current tax disk, I don't think you can assume a vehicle is untaxed. It could also be declared off road (i.e SORN). And I do not know how anyone other than the police, and insurance companies can determine if it's insured.

If it is SORN, then it means the vehicle shouldn't be on the public highway, and it doesn't have to be insured. This raises the question if road is a public highway or privately owned. If it's privately owned, the police have no mandate to be involved and no offence has been committed.

If the road is a public highway, then the vehicle might classed as causing an obstruction, preventing legitimate access to an adjoining property.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
It occurs to me that with the removal of the need to display a current tax disk, I don't think you can assume a vehicle is untaxed. It could also be declared off road (i.e SORN). And I do not know how anyone other than the police, and insurance companies can determine if it's insured.

If it is SORN, then it means the vehicle shouldn't be on the public highway, and it doesn't have to be insured. This raises the question if road is a public highway or privately owned. If it's privately owned, the police have no mandate to be involved and no offence has been committed.

If the road is a public highway, then the vehicle might classed as causing an obstruction, preventing legitimate access to an adjoining property.

I don't think that the OP is making any assumptions, they say that they checked. It's pretty easy to check the insurance status on AskMID (https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/).
You can check the Vehicle's tax status here: https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Not wanting to stray off the proper topic but that's the front of our drive and when we drive in my car goes into those gates where the home is but even when I have " keep clear signs " at the front of my drive I I still get people parking opposite which makes it very awkward to do a 360 turn with our caravan or reverse the cars in when other cars are on the path and in the turning cicle , any car left there for too long gets a note put on their windscreen with a few polite words...... :angry:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Not wanting to stray off the proper topic but that's the front of our drive and when we drive in my car goes into those gates where the home is but even when I have " keep clear signs " at the front of my drive I I still get people parking opposite which makes it very awkward to do a 360 turn with our caravan or reverse the cars in when other cars are on the path and in the turning cicle , any car left there for too long gets a note put on their windscreen with a few polite words...... :angry:

Craig
But confused here. Is yours the house opposite with gates? If so how do you approach and does the van go down that gap, or is your van parking area the large cut out in the foreground. Why a 360 degree turn. Doesn’t that put you back in the same position you came from?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
No Clive mines the one with the yellow stones and the green grass with the little wall but when we come down the street , i pull past ours to unhook then its awkward and tight if there's parked cars to turn .

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I have a Swift Challenger580SR which is about 7.5 meters long.
My entrance slope is a downward 1 in 4 joined to the car parking area, that also slopes down and away at 1 in 16. with a slight curve joining.
With the jockey wheel pushed up inside the A frame, there is four inch clearance between the metal covers to the corner steadies at the rear and the ground.
My motor mover often needs a bit of help to make it up the slope.
I have an electric winch, but this only pulls in a straight line and it is very slow, setting it up, getting the angle correct to enable clearance on both sides of my 10 foot field gate is time consuming, whereas the motor mover is quicker and one can adjust the angle of approach and the turns at the top and bottom are easier.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Craigyoung said:
No Clive mines the one with the yellow stones and the green grass with the little wall but when we come down the street , i pull past ours to unhook then its awkward and tight if there's parked cars to turn .

Example ....

photoupload

He’d fail the literacy test or eyesight one too. I see your dilemna now.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
Craigyoung said:
Craigyoung said:

Example ....

photoupload

He’d fail the literacy test or eyesight one too. I see your dilemna now.

And they just keep coming like this every day but I'll leave it at that !!!:angry:

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
JayTea said:
I'll be fitting a mover to my caravan after the hassle I had tonight. There's a car parked across the road that's un-taxed and un-insured that belongs to a neighbour and it's right in the way of me reversing into the driveway with the caravan. I had to partially reverse in, unhook, manhandle the van round a bit, reposition the car and hook it back up before I could get the caravan in

It is also useful for hitching the caravan. I don't have a reversing camera so to make life easier I drive the hitch over the ball with the mover (I did my B+E test in a car with cameras and getting the ball under the hitch was so easy). That way I can park my car on the road to try and dissuade residents and visitors of other streets from using my close as a car park whilst I'm getting ready to hitch up. (But as previous posts have implied, people park where they like, residents be damned.)

For me, the mover also makes it possible to park the van on the drive; the van can only sit in one exact location, so it doesn't block the garden gate and does not over-hang onto the footpath. This takes some to-ing and fro-ing to get it there - no issue with the mover. Trying to move ~1500KG of caravan up the gentle slope of my drive without smacking the house, the neighbours fence or rolling into the road, would be too much for my back!

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
JayTea said:
I'll be fitting a mover to my caravan after the hassle I had tonight. There's a car parked across the road that's un-taxed and un-insured that belongs to a neighbour and it's right in the way of me reversing into the driveway with the caravan. I had to partially reverse in, unhook, manhandle the van round a bit, reposition the car and hook it back up before I could get the caravan in

It is also useful for hitching the caravan. I don't have a reversing camera so to make life easier I drive the hitch over the ball with the mover (I did my B+E test in a car with cameras and getting the ball under the hitch was so easy). That way I can park my car on the road to try and dissuade residents and visitors of other streets from using my close as a car park whilst I'm getting ready to hitch up. (But as previous posts have implied, people park where they like, residents be damned.)

For me, the mover also makes it possible to park the van on the drive; the van can only sit in one exact location, so it doesn't block the garden gate and does not over-hang onto the footpath. This takes some to-ing and fro-ing to get it there - no issue with the mover. Trying to move ~1500KG of caravan up the gentle slope of my drive without smacking the house, the neighbours fence or rolling into the road, would be too much for my back!

And, in addition, the mover also makes it easier to get the wheel aligned for the Al-Ko Wheel lock to attach.

Aug 11, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:

I thought a Pub car park was private land so noting to do with the Police, however it has nothing to do with who owns the land but who has assess, so when a friend asked the Publican if he could leave the car, she asked would he put it in corner of car park which he did, locked it up and was walking back to pub when Police breathalysed him, and he was done, as there is public assess.

As the time we were living on a caravan site, and the question was raised what about people living in motor caravans, the police had said he had the key to start car so was in charge of it and did not need to have driven it. And at the time there was a load of talk to if we were safe drinking in out own home?

It seems the Police have some discretion, and the law is worded so some one who has driven home then the Police have knocked the door so they can be done. It was not myself who was caught, so can't give full details.

We all felt the Police woman was being a bit pedantic saying the Pub car park had public assess, so does near everyone's drive, that how the public ring your door bell in most cases.

As to if vehicle taxed and insured https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/ checks insurance, I assume there is a similar page for tax.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ericmark said:
ProfJohnL said:

I thought a Pub car park was private land so noting to do with the Police, however it has nothing to do with who owns the land but who has assess, so when a friend asked the Publican if he could leave the car, she asked would he put it in corner of car park which he did, locked it up and was walking back to pub when Police breathalysed him, and he was done, as there is public assess.

As the time we were living on a caravan site, and the question was raised what about people living in motor caravans, the police had said he had the key to start car so was in charge of it and did not need to have driven it. And at the time there was a load of talk to if we were safe drinking in out own home?

It seems the Police have some discretion, and the law is worded so some one who has driven home then the Police have knocked the door so they can be done. It was not myself who was caught, so can't give full details.

We all felt the Police woman was being a bit pedantic saying the Pub car park had public assess, so does near everyone's drive, that how the public ring your door bell in most cases.

As to if vehicle taxed and insured https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/ checks insurance, I assume there is a similar page for tax.

A pub car park is a public place as is a supermarket car park. The link gives case law basis in the definition of public places for the purpose of the Road Traffic Acts. Note a privately owned caravan site is also classed as a public place!

http://www.counsel.direct/news/2015/11/18/what-is-a-public-place-in-the-context-of-the-road-traffic-act

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
JayTea said:
I reported the untaxed-uninsured car to the DVLA over a fortnight ago, and then called 101 12 days ago and the car is still sitting on the road, so I contacted the police agin this morning. They have just called me back and told me the DVLA know about it and I just have to wait until they get round to removing the vehicle... Seems there is no urgent on their part to remove illegally parked vehicles on public roads

What’s the definition of an illegally parked car. Police don’t take action re badly parked cars. Again unless they create a distinct safety hazard. Stationary parked untaxed and uninsured cars again tend to fall into DVLAs remit. It’s not a recent change it’s been going on for some years. I reported a car that frequently parked opposite a junction on a narrow busy road leading to a school. The Neighbourhood Police came back to inform me that the Highway Code only advises that motorists “should” not park...... if an accident were to occur and anyone was injured then action may be taken. So we have to get used to the fact that the Polices role in society has changed. For better or worse is debatable.

Aug 11, 2018
Visit site
I have a neighbour who parks directly opposite my drive, it seems I can call the police if I can't get out, but not when hard to get out.

Getting in then the option is park on the road until there is access, and it is the county council bin wagons who have the real problem, having to reverse back up the street.

Oddly it's not the caravan but the car where problem lies, caravans with motor movers can turn easier that cars with 4 wheels, however the motor mover will not push wheel up a curb, so I have to park one wheel on curb, then use motor mover, and if I make an error then road blocked until they move their car. Police told me not to confront them, so I just leave the road blocked.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reply to Ericmark,

I suspect there is a legal difference between land with public access and a public highway.

There is plenty of case law that gives the police the right stop and breathalyse a person on private land if they suspect a drink related offence has or is about to be committed.

A pub car park is still private land, but it does have public access, but it is not the public highway. Inxidentally thge pavement and grass verges are considered to be part of the highway.

The SORN notice only requires the vehicle is kept of the public highway

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts