Still learning

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I had someone working for me who took her Skoda in for its first MOT and because it had not done 20000 miles it had not had a service. But she had kept muting/ignoring the service indicator light at start up for 12 months as she hadn’t done 20000 miles.
My son has a 2015 Skoda Octavia - although all VW Group engineering documents specify intervals in km regardless of brand or model, his Skoda converts 30,000km to 18,000 miles while my VW converts 30,000km to 20,000 miles - the arithmetc conversion is 18,641....

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Jeep as standard has the Eco mode from start up however you can switch off the Eco mode. The there is the option of selecting the Sport mode and when doing so the revs normally drop. On the motorway I tend to manually select the gear.
I rarely use anything other than Normal for the trasmission on my Touareg - I do use manual on steep hills and I do use Sport if I'm having a hooligan few minutes.

I can control the air suspension separately - usually on Comfort but switched to Sport when towing as it stiffens and lowers the suspension - on some site access roads I have to raise it to off-road level!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I rarely use anything other than Normal for the trasmission on my Touareg - I do use manual on steep hills and I do use Sport if I'm having a hooligan few minutes.

I can control the air suspension separately - usually on Comfort but switched to Sport when towing as it stiffens and lowers the suspension - on some site access roads I have to raise it to off-road level!
I think on most cars with air suspension it can be controlled using a selector. In addition, when parking up the Jeep automatically lowers itself making exiting the Jeep easy. The driver's seat also moves back.

If driving in the normal mode and you exceed 60mph, the Jeep automatically lowers into the Sport mode, but engine functions as normal unless you select the sport mode.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The last CVT I drove was a Daf 33 van. Weird. The engine revved up, stayed at that RPM and the van kept accelerating.
Are the modern ones the same experience

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The last CVT I drove was a Daf 33 van. Weird. The engine revved up, stayed at that RPM and the van kept accelerating.
Some that are called CVT aren’t totally based on the pulley system like DAF. My Subarus had a pulley system but instead of rubber “ bands” they use sophisticated metal chains. The 150 bhp petrol non turbo did tend to rev up until speed had gone up then the revs back off. Solo it was fine but towing too reactive. The 238 bhp turbo forester drove similarly to a diesel with good low down torque giving very good acceleration where revs built up in line with speed. A very nice drive solo or towing.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
No - almost all modern CVTs have electronically-controlled "fixed" ratios so acts like a conventional automatic.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Some that are called CVT aren’t totally based on the pulley system like DAF. My Subarus had a pulley system but instead of rubber “ bands” they use sophisticated metal chains. The 150 bhp petrol non turbo did tend to rev up until speed had gone up then the revs back off. Solo it was fine but towing too reactive. The 238 bhp turbo forester drove similarly to a diesel with good low down torque giving very good acceleration where revs built up in line with speed. A very nice drive solo or towing.
I think all modern CVTs use metal chains enclosed in oil rather than the exposed belt system used by DAF.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With the introduction of hybrid power trains there are E-CVT that don’t use belt, pulleys or chains, but planetary gears instead.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
With the introduction of hybrid power trains there are E-CVT that don’t use belt, pulleys or chains, but planetary gears instead.
Does it use a fluid flywheel. DSG or something electronic? The Aisin 8 speed in the Touareg is one of the best I’ve had. Very smooth on take off and once warmed up snd moving I think the torque converter fully locks. Very clever. I hear some DSG can be jerky?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Locking torque converter autos have been around for many years now. The two double clutch autos I’ve had (Skoda Suoerb and Kia) both exhibited less smooth response at slow manoeuvres than did my CVTs or right foot/left foot/handbrake on a manual. Although the advent of EPB makes the manual approach a bit less controlled.

E-CVT….. The clues is in the “E”. Here’s a link explaining the Toyota approach. If you search CVT wikedia it’s surprising how many different types and applications there are. I once worked on a Hunt class MCMV. The Slow Speed Drive used when minehunting was a CVT. it comprised Dowty hydraulic swashplate pumps driven by a diesel and hydraulic motors on the driveline. By varying the engine speed or swashplate angle the drive could be very accurately controlled. I wouldn’t recommend it for cars though.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Locking torque converter autos have been around for many years now. The two double clutch autos I’ve had (Skoda Suoerb and Kia) both exhibited less smooth response at slow manoeuvres than did my CVTs or right foot/left foot/handbrake on a manual. Although the advent of EPB makes the manual approach a bit less controlled.

E-CVT….. The clues is in the “E”. Here’s a link explaining the Toyota approach. If you search CVT wikedia it’s surprising how many different types and applications there are. I once worked on a Hunt class MCMV. The Slow Speed Drive used when minehunting was a CVT. it comprised Dowty hydraulic swashplate pumps driven by a diesel and hydraulic motors on the driveline. By varying the engine speed or swashplate angle the drive could be very accurately controlled. I wouldn’t recommend it for cars though.

Swashplates were experimented with as transmissions for buses but never went into serious production - they're fundamental in helicopter rotor design.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All it says on my car yesterday oil change due now and also a orange sign came up on dash does anyone know what that is?
Your owners manual should give details of every icon that comes up on the cars dash or monitor. Orange normally requires action to be taken but doesn’t require immediate attention.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Your owners manual should give details of every icon that comes up on the cars dash or monitor. Orange normally requires action to be taken but doesn’t require immediate attention.
it booked in at the dealer tomorrow they give it a diagnostic check, and thanks for your input about this icon .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the Vehicle heath check everything passed on green and no further work needed also while waiting i offered hot drink this dealer goes above and beyond

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts