STOLEN VAN - OXON/WILTS BORDER

Mar 4, 2007
Visit site
Having had my Abbey Vogue 495 based dealer special Safari stolen off my drive yesterday, I am gutted to say the least.
The "scrots" broke a lump of nearside wheel arch off trying to get the QD H/duty wheel clamp off, this had gouges on it so they were determined.
I am finding it so hard at the moment to get my head round someone in my van using and going through my belongings, making their life more comfortable at my expense.
It is a relatively rare van as there are only about 25 made each year, so if you are offered one get s CRiS check done first and when safe, inform the Police please.
I feel like jacking it all in at the moment, but just in case I change my mind, can anyone recommend and have used, any Trackers or can recommend any other good security devices.
Alko Wheel lock
Hitchlock
Tracker
Thanks for any help on this
Kind regards

Dodger

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rodger
Sorry to hear your bad news. Hopefuly you are fully insured and will be able to agree an early settlement.
Make out a detailed list of all the contents. Over the next week or so you will keep remembering things so add them on. It's the little things that get forgotten!
smiley-smile.gif

Check with the dealer for current prices.
Don't give up caravanning! You know you wil miss it.

On the security side I use the two Al-ko wheel locks, a Bulldog hitchlock, alarm and Tracker plus two steady locks. Touch wood no problems so far . Thus in all honesty I can't say if they have worked but in reality they may have deterred the scabby thief. The Alko wheel locks look pretty thief proof to me.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rodger
Sorry to hear your bad news. Hopefuly you are fully insured and will be able to agree an early settlement.
Make out a detailed list of all the contents. Over the next week or so you will keep remembering things so add them on. It's the little things that get forgotten!
smiley-smile.gif

Check with the dealer for current prices.
Don't give up caravanning! You know you wil miss it.

On the security side I use the two Al-ko wheel locks, a Bulldog hitchlock, alarm and Tracker plus two steady locks. Touch wood no problems so far . Thus in all honesty I can't say if they have worked but in reality they may have deterred the scabby thief. The Alko wheel locks look pretty thief proof to me.
smiley-smile.gif

Let me know if you need any guidance with the insurance claim.
smiley-cool.gif

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
You have my deepest sympathies, Rodger - I understand exactly how you feel, having had our beloved Adria t/a stolen a couple of years ago when we'd bought it brand new and only had it 8 weeks. Ours too was fitted with expensive, good quality wheel clamp and hitchlock, had a tracker, was in a (admittedly, open) barn along with a couple of others (which were ignored). The thieves went to a lot of trouble to get ours out (it was stolen to order) - having used some cutting tool to slice through the security devices, they then had to manoeuvre the van out between the other vans and some large farm machinery, get it across a ditch, break down a fence, drag it (with the corner steadies still down!!) across a large very bumpy field full of cows, up a bank and through another broken down fence to get it out. They certainly were determined.

Under the circumstances I'm afraid I can't recommend ANY security devices - if they want it badly enough and they're 'professional' thieves, they'll get it, no matter what. All I can recommend is that you have full new for old insurance cover with a reputable firm (ours was with the Caravan Club). I know how gutted you must be right now, but if you've got good insurance then in due course you'll be able to get a new van, and replace all your belongings. It changes your outlook on things I must say - my view now is that, however much you love your caravan and the stuff in it, they're only 'things' and you can replace them. Just don't leave anything in the van that you'd be devastated to lose.

Kind regards.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your loss Rodger.
Mine was stolen about 4 years ago from storage, i didnt keep anything other than normal bits in the van and as it wasnt outside my house it didnt feel like they had invaded my personal space, it was very annoying but everything could be replaced apart from a few things that you can never get hold of again.
I had a rob stop 2 bulldog titan wheel clamps and leg locks, all levered off with incredible ease,to stop the alarm going off they took the corner steady sensors off.
Have tracker now at request of insurance company and lots more wheel clamps,tracker seems good

What tracker did you have on the adria Sue?

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Michael, I'm not going to name the tracker on the forum, if you don't mind. It transpired that the tracker wasn't working properly and we were involved in a protracted correspondence with the tracker firm before matters were finally resolved (after a great deal of assistance and intervention by our extremely helpful caravan dealer).

I should also state that we did get our van back, after 5 days, minus the entire contents and with a lot of damage which cost thousands of pounds to repair.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sue
I had no choice . My Bailey came with "Tracker" tracker. I pay £39.95 per annum to keep the contract in force. A bit like a match until you strike it will ever know if it will light?
smiley-wink.gif

Do you still have the stolen repaired caravan?

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Do you still have the stolen repaired caravan?

No, Alan. We kept it for getting on for a year afterwards, but it never really felt the same and I was always conscious of the fact that 'others' had been in it, despite the fact that the dealers did such a good repair job on it that it looked brand new again when we got it back. We eventually traded it in for a newer model.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
My Bailey came with "Tracker" tracker. I pay £39.95 per annum to keep the contract in force.

I'm not sure if you already know but you can pay a one off payment of £99 which will cover you for as long as you have the van.
I can't foresee us changing our Bailey for some years, if ever, so decided to pay up
smiley-smile.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Thanks LB
I'm being robbed.
I'll get in touch with Tracker . No one ever offered me that one off payment!
smiley-yell.gif

Actually I read it on a forum ages ago, long before we bought a Bailey. To my knowlegge it doesn't mention it in the bumpf that came with the caravan. It was when our 12 months expired and we rang up to renew that I asked the person about it. It's not transferable though if you sell the van.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Rodger,first I must say I,m so sorry to hear yor van has been stolen. I think I know how you feel.A year or so back I had a few visits from travellers.first they asked if the van was for sale Then I found them in on my drive walking round the van & obviously checking the security.I had a few restless nights keeping watch on the van & worrying if it would still be there when I got up or when I got home from work.I ordered & fitted a JSB Hublock from Here http://www.jsbhublock.co.uk/indexhtml.html They were very helpfull & it arrived next day. IMHO I do not think it would be possible to cut it off & still be able to tow the van away
Now while I agree its not practical to use while your touring But when the van is in storage I think its unbeatable. I have the hublock on one side & fit my Milenco clamp on the other side .Here is a video of attempts to remove one with an gas cutter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNbUaNXpjA8
Hope you get some satisfaction soon
TD

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rodger, sorry to hear of your misfortune, hope your insurance pays out promptly and in full. Re security I would go along with TD42's advice on the jsbhublock. I bought one several years ago now and reckon it must be one of the best deterrents on the market. Yes you do need to remove a wheel to fit it and obviously replace the wheel before starting off with the van but I find I can do that in about twenty minutes and find that little effort for the peace of mind having the lock in situ gives. If, and hopefully, when you buy another van have a look at the web links TD42 posted.
Good luck
Robert

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
sorry roger i know a few with tracker and one that whent astray he rung the cops who would not step in because they where travellers and needed back up they got the van back it was trashed.the tracker worked but the response was not so good the result was the van was retrevied but recked he would be better if the van was not found.Sorwasry this is not what you want tohere but it dose go onwas your van in storage if not maybe next time .I no you would not want it back like you say your personel stuff dont let the get you down you will miss more good times than the scum will .Thay wont stop at you and you wont change the way they opperate by giving up just you and your good folk will miss out .

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry that you feel this way - Must admit I'm with you on this. If our van was nicked I'd feel like chucking it all in as well. It's not so much the thought of going through replacing everything, but it will be the little things, like pictures the kids did or that something my mum or the in-laws gave us for the caravan - that would upset me the most.

I must admit - I work in Leeds and every-now-and-then "travelers" settle on waste land around the city - I drive past wondering if they OWN the vans.. There's a little group that keeps popping up, and it's got a collection of a few new vans in it (Pegasus, 2010 Elddis). they always leave a trashed van on the land they been, and it makes me wonder - have they stolen one to replace it.

I've also noticed that there's a bit of a departure from using the trusty Tranny as a tow vehicle, they are using more and more cars. I wonder this is in response to more and more campsites refusing pitches to anyone with a commercial vehicle as tow car.

Get on ebay and search for cctv - there are tons of bits on there to build a home system - I have and it's cost me less than £200 - and as I'm using an old laptop - if the power goes off it keep right on going, each of the cameras has a 4 hour battery back up as well.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Just a thought, if someone does attack the jsb hub with a torch and damages it how is removed? as i believe the heat melts the hub.
Would the van then have to be lifted with a grab?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure how I'd feel apart from wanting to see the culprits swinging in the breeze.
It would all depend on the pay out I got for the stolen van I suppose. Living where I do the risk of mine being stolen is slim but not impossible. The point is if these scrotes aren't caught there is a chance they will be back which again might put someone off from having another van. You can rest assured that if they are caught the laws of this land wont deal with them effectively enough. Probably a community order and a suspended prison sentence.
It's all very sad that those who are lower than the life that crawls out of toilets can have such an affect on peoples lives.
Keep us all updated please Rodger.

Mar 4, 2007
Visit site
Thank you all for your kind comments.
The Police and PCSO's have been around the houses nearby asking questions.
The Transit tipper had been seen in the close for 4 days before it went!. I have now placed a 4 figure deposit on a replacement van.The dealer special I had is no longer available, the next build run is in February and there are only 4 left so I had to go for it as the were no guarantees that there would be any built in July.
Been listing contents and pricing up for the Loss Adjusters visit next week.
Guess I have got my head around it!
Thanks again, you have restored my faith.
Kind Regards
Dodger

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
You dont need any cutting device to get the wheel locks off , if you type utube tubular locks into your web browser there are lots of video on there showing you how to open the locks with devices that can be carried in your trouser pocket ,

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Ive seen that, it only cost around £8 too, they do a similar one for locking wheel nuts which is what i believe you secure the jsb hub on the axle with?
The trouble is these tools are so cheap and easy to get hold of ,never stop the determined thieves

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Just read someone said you paid £99 for one off payment to Tracker for the life of your van. Sorry but l didn't get that, l was offered by Tracker £99 one off payment for a futher 4 years having got the first year free with the van and that had to be done within 28 days of the purchase.Has any one else had £99 for the life of the van, if so l will be on to Tracker to find out why.
NigelH

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
I'm not sure if you already know but you can pay a one off payment of £99 which will cover you for as long as you have the van.
I can't foresee us changing our Bailey for some years, if ever, so decided to pay up
smiley-smile.gif

The above is what I actually said.

If you sell the van on it is then void and the new owners would have to pay.
I read this, as I said in my OP, on a forum. It was more than likely this one. Just before our van was 12 months old we had a letter from Tracker telling us we needed to now pay the subscription. It didn't mention the one off payment in their letter as it obviously didn't when you had yours. When ringing up to pay we mentioned the £99 one off payment and they told us this was an option but only for as long as we owned the van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts