stop over in france

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi........ its our first time camping in france this year and we a travelling to Bordeaux. Is it safe to camp over night in the very large pinic areas or service areas. ( i used to when i was a child in the 80's) if not does anyone know a good site near TOURS.

thankyou

jo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo...stop overs in the service area's in France now is a no go. You hear to many reports of problems. If you want a stopover go beyond Tours on the A10 Autoroute, leave it on junc 26 or 27 and travel towards Poitiers on the N10. There are plenty along this road and you shouldn't have a problem finding one. Alternately use Alan Rogers guide, you should find one from that.

Mike

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Jo, While it is possible to park safely at larger service stations, we did last year, I would recommend that you use municipal sites, nearly every small town on the main routes have them. We only stop at service stations if we have done a late night run and then we take sensible precautions. Dont open windows, use just roofhatches for ventilation. I bought a small but loud portable alarm, about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo..my wife and I have travelled extensively in Europe and have normally stopped overnight at a site just off the motorway - we consider this to be the best option. However we have also stayed overnight in garage and service station parking areas on four occasions and have not experienced any problems, but this has not been the experience of other caravaners to whom we have spoken. For peace of mind get onto a site! Roger.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
get hold of the cc a5 directory (compiled by club members) for europe / french section. look up the area you want to stopover at and book or just turn up at a municipal campsite. v good value and your on a site away from the motorway noise. most have an onsite warden.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Out of Tours south on N10. 34 kl. to "St Maure de Touraine" in center of town on left look for "Aire de Repose" sign, this aire is very good for stopover,water+ tiolet, stayed many times never any problems, parking for 15 vans, We have stayed with our motorhome and our caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts