Stopover near Rouen

Dec 10, 2003
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good site for a stopover near Rouen, travelling from Calais to Loire Valley? And also the cost of the tolls on way please for car and 'van. Thanks.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Pont de l'Arche - Camping Eure et Seine might be Ok - it's very pleasantly situated in a village, alongside the river, and has clean facilities.

You can use viamichelin to calculate your journey times, and tolls - input your port and destination in the Loire (which is a very long valley so impossible to give you even an approximate idea). Don't forget to select 'with caravan' in the options.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
If you use ViaMichelin mapping you can work out your route.

Put in Calais as your start point and your destination in the Loire Valley and add Rouen as a stopover and your route should come up. Tick the box to say you are towing a trailer and in the written directions the cost of any toll will be given at the point in the directions where the toll booths will be.

A good stop in Rouen is at Pont de L'Arche which is right on your route.

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi Richard
We often use Camping St Nicolas which is just South West of Rouen in a lovely village called La Bec Helloiun. It's a municipal site with easy access from the main motorway heading North or South. Lovely people own the site, very clean facilities and just recently had an indoor pool added,ideal for cooling off after a drive through Rouen.
We use this site going South to Vendee and normally do a 2 night stop on the way back. Would highly recommend. Cheap easy access fuel at Carrefour in the village too!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd second that - have stayed there many times. However.........

Approach from the north side through Malleville-sur-le-Bec on the D581 from the D438. Go through the village, into the wood, and where the road does a 90 left, turn right. Site is first entry on right. The road down into Le Bec is a bit steep, has a very tight bend, and an angled junction at the bottom.

The site is actually municipal and a new manager was appointed two years to oversee the elderly couple that have been running it for years. Suddenly they have a new office near the gate, a small bar/shop, and wi-fi everywhere. They also took down a huge long Beech hedge which provided very good wind protection, and it is probably the reason why they built the pool. I fear it will spoil what was a quiet, well kept and very friendly site.

Two other points: try their local cider from the office - not strong but what a flavour! And avoid the (open) wi-fi: I used it two years ago and many people in my address book got spammed as a result. By looking back at the date and time of its origin it had to be from that site - the one and only time I used my laptop on a non-encrypted link during five weeks of holiday.

Its Le Bec-Hellouin (spelling) by the way.

TRENDING THREADS