Storing our Caravan at Home

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
We got our new Van in April 2009, our garden is large and was in need of TLC so we got it dug out and washed stones laid and a 6 foot double slatted fence so that our van wouldnt be seen, our house is 130 years old and backs onto a private lane. we stored the van went on holiday for 5 days with it came back and a nasty neighbour has put a unsigned letter through our door whilst we where away with a copy of our deeds highlighing no caravans on the private lane or drive or parking your car in the lane, our car has been parked there for 8 years with everyone elses and our other neighbour had there caravan parked for 4 years with no compliant? what can I do?

G

I would ignore it as it is unsigned. However, if you are chatty with your neighbours, do some sniffing and see who has been making any comments about you in the Post Office etc.

The one thing that may be worth checking though is the prvate lane. Who owns it and do you have right of access to your property. If all the houses that border it, own it, then you have no problem. Was there a gate into your garden, or did you make one? If so the latter, did you check with the Council about making the access? Just keep them happy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi J.

Firstly an anonymous letter has no authority so you can safely ignore it. - But do keep it as a record for any future events or evidence.

It does intrigues me that the neighbour has a copy of your deeds! how did they get them?

I also wonder how a house that is 130 year old has any covenants relating vehicles? they wern't around when the house was built. I can only assume that the access to the property along the private lane is a much more recent thing and the deeds may have have had a codicil added when any rights of access were drawn up.

It very unlikely that any one on the forum is in a position to offer guaranteed advice, as these things are very dependant on circumstances, so I suggest that if you are worried, you need to seek local legal advice.

G

You can probably get copies of any deeds through the Land Registry Office or certainly through the Sasinines here in Scotland. There is no secrecy regarding them anymore. However, it may not have been the exact Deeds for the house, often a separate set of Deeds stipulated any Covenants, as I currently have on my home. It may be that subsequent development meant that either the Council, or a landowner, often the Church asked for these conditions, many of which were included to prevent the setting up of commercial enterprises in residential areas, and this house was included as part and parcel of the estate. However, when 'J' bought his house his lawyers should have advised him of the existence of any such Covenants which should have arisen while the 'Searches' were being done. If 'J' did not use a lawyer, as can happen in England then it is possible this was not done as estate agents are not so enthusiastically inclined. Again here in Scotland a lawyer must be involved so there is no subsequent dispute.

However, I do not think 'J' has too much to worry about. Even if there is a Covenant then it requires other Parties to bring a civil action, which costs money, and I seriously doubt if enough people would be so inclined.

However as I mentioned earlier the lane is the issue as it is privately owned, not a public highway.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
just get storage it helped me and did not cost as mutch as insurance on my drive 300 pounds a year for storage 175 pounds new for old insurance on my drive was 490pounds no new for old

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
It seems to me if you are not blocking access or egress to anyone including the emergency services and you are not blocking light to other properties I think I would just ignore the jealous b******s.

Nov 19, 2006
Visit site
Covenants are usually put on land by the person selling it to contrl things happening on it in the future eg the caravan covenant.However who is going to enforce it as this will cost money? It is my understanding that only the covenantor can do this.

In my case I had a covenant placed on the land by the developer but it lasted only 5 years and that time is long gone so I keep my caravan in the garden

Covenants should not be confused with planning conditions which are more easily enforceable and by the local planning authority. Conditions are often put on planning permissions restricting the keeping of a caravan on the land.If your caravan is on private land not within your curtilage then that is another matter and you could be in breach of planning regulations.

I would ignore the letter. If the author wants to take it further then so be it but the local authority wont want to get involved unless they put the covenant on in the first place.

I would, as you have done, try and mitigate the visual effect that the caravan may have on the adjoining properties.

Leylandii are good for this!!!!!!!!

Apr 21, 2007
Visit site
just get storage it helped me and did not cost as mutch as insurance on my drive 300 pounds a year for storage 175 pounds new for old insurance on my drive was 490pounds no new for old
how much is your storage but? and the traveling back and forward to storage site. if it was me i would be storing it in my back garden

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts