Storm Strap Recommendations

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Does your awning have connector buckled attached at the two from corners? Otherwise the method used was to have a single long strap that went right across the front edge of the awning. To protect the awning from abrasion the strap would have padded sleeves where it goes over the corners of the awning roof.

Whatever type of strap is used it must be pegged down with spring extenders between the strap and pegs. The storm strap sytem should not be absolutely taught. In order to work it should have some give.

I made up an internal storm strap sytem like Isabella uses. Buy two ratchet straps long enough to reach from the front roof corner. Attach one end to the side roof support at the front. Drive a 12+ inch heavy gauge steel peg into the ground. Attach the ratchet strap to the peg using a spring. Fit one at both corners inside the awning.

https://www.penrosetouring.co.uk/isabella-storm-strap.html
https://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-awning-tie-down-kit-p210331&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzO-yw7Dp4AIVxIXVCh1GsQbYEAYYAiABEgL0mPD_BwE&gclsrc"aw.ds"

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Do you have clips on the awning that storm straps secure into? If so, do not bother with the “universal” sets that have clips that supposedly fit all awnings. They don’t! The set we got just pulled out at the slightest tug. Get the awning make specific ones. If you don’t have storm strap clips then you can get the sort that goes all the way over the top of the awning and peg down either side. Never had one of these but I know that they can rub on the awning canvas so you need to pad them where they cross the frame.
Internal straps are a good thing especially on a seasonal pitch. Get ratchet straps( Aldi do 4 in a pack for about a tenner) and loop over the frame and tension and peg down inside the awning.
Hope this helps
Mel

May 24, 2014
Visit site
A lot will depend on the make of awning you have. We have Isabella and the recommended method is to loop the storm strap at the joint of upright and front roof spar, trailing it down the upright vertically and pegging.

Dont be tempted to attach to any hooks on the short stubby poles of the front canopy if you have one.
Im sure the Isabella ones will fit all awnings.
See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-27yJYP38

Other awnings will have a special attachment point and some none at all. You get what you pay for.

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I appreciate you have your own ideas. But I only require recommendations on full awning storm straps, that I can use to fasten over the full length of my awning. Thanks

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The Isabella ones ARE FOR a full awning. They work just as well if not better than one that goes right over and they put any stress in the correct place, not across the centre of the poles. The ones that you mention can chaff the awning fabric and in windy coniditions flap and vibrate all night. They use the same size of ground peg too, so I can only see advantages.

With the Isabella method, you are using two straps, not one, but still only two pegs. Win win as far as I can see.

As far as recommendations, they are all pretty much the same thing unless your specific awning has proper points on it, in which case a recommendation is pointless as you would need to use the manufacturers own.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
alphapets said:
I appreciate you have your own ideas. But I only require recommendations on full awning storm straps, that I can use to fasten over the full length of my awning. Thanks

There’s nothing between them. They will all have similar width webbing, two ground pegs and two springs. I’d go on price and buy one with webbing sleeves to protect the awning from chasing.

Ps. It looks as if these days you only get one spring and no anti friction sleeves. The lattter at around £8 plus pp. Makes Isabella kit look a bargain :whistle: Never thought I’d ever say that!!

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
alphapets said:

If you mean throwing a strap right across over the top of the awning, that is a good way to wear away the fabric ...... thats why most straps are attached to the front three poles to hold them down, its pretty standard. Thats what we do on our seasonal site in windy Snowdonia.
Most straps are made of webbing - I imagine they are all pretty much identical.

Jan 12, 2019
Visit site
As ex wardens on a windy Cornish site we permantly had a storm strap fitted. Where the strap went over the poles we used washing up sponges, sponge to the canvas and green scourer surface to the strap to keep them in place. Easy fix!
We found the strap would ‘sing’ in the wind, like a guitar string, but twisting it before anchoring it fixed that also! Hope this helps.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
"Olivegrower" beat me to it. I learnt years ago about putting a single twist in any awning straps to stop any singing, doesn't weaken it at all and is totally effective.

Apr 2, 2019
Visit site
One word of warning:
The springs of storm straps are just hooked up to the straps. Wind hits over longer periods might push the poles in the earth, creating enough lee in the straps to allow the springs to disengage. You can imagine what will happen then at the next wind burst.
We always put a piece of plywood under the front poles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts