Strange gardening year

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This year has been quite strange for gardening norms in our area. Today I saw that a 6 ft Canna lilly that I started off indoors in February is beginning to show a flower stem. Guara have grown very well but with no flowers until today one opened a single bloom. Yet Nerines an autumn flower are in full bloom, and those late summer-autumn regulars like Rudbekia and Aster Monch have been flowering since early July. All this in a south facing bed. Quite strange as it seems summer has passed some species by, and brought on autumn ones early.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Our very large Laurel did have blooms this year but turned brown soon after. Now the area around has lots of black berries which I understand are poison. Few other thing were Tomatoes , those I planted did not get as many as ones not planted but never the less came up and produced over 100 tomatoes

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I think we'd agree with you. My wife is the gardener and I just do the construction work and the strimming, so I can't say too much about the plants except that the Daffodils seemed to go on a lot longer and the hedgerows that I cut back hard took longer to come back to their fullness.

Grass cutting and strimming has been less this year but the weeds still continue to do well :)

We grow our veggies in a polytunnel and I have noticed a difference this year. A great crop of strawberries - still just going - while the raspberries were late in arriving but are now doing well. Cucumbers never made it and the leaks are slow and somewhat thinner than usual.

The plum tree we have in there was so loaded last year that I had to tie up the branches to the crop bars. This year less plums but each one is twice the size of last years and only one branch needed support. Broccoli is earlier this year.

The potatoes we grow in bags outside didn't do that well compared to previous years. Never, ever had luck with Tomatoes - I think we had two off of one plant this year.

Now the rainy season has set in which is timed nicely as I've just started to build a potting shed and only managed the concrete base so far.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our very large Laurel did have blooms this year but turned brown soon after. Now the area around has lots of black berries which I understand are poison. Few other thing were Tomatoes , those I planted did not get as many as ones not planted but never the less came up and produced over 100 tomatoes
You be eating plenty of salads enjoy

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I think we'd agree with you. My wife is the gardener and I just do the construction work and the strimming, so I can't say too much about the plants except that the Daffodils seemed to go on a lot longer and the hedgerows that I cut back hard took longer to come back to their fullness.

Grass cutting and strimming has been less this year but the weeds still continue to do well :)

We grow our veggies in a polytunnel and I have noticed a difference this year. A great crop of strawberries - still just going - while the raspberries were late in arriving but are now doing well. Cucumbers never made it and the leaks are slow and somewhat thinner than usual.

The plum tree we have in there was so loaded last year that I had to tie up the branches to the crop bars. This year less plums but each one is twice the size of last years and only one branch needed support. Broccoli is earlier this year.

The potatoes we grow in bags outside didn't do that well compared to previous years. Never, ever had luck with Tomatoes - I think we had two off of one plant this year.

Now the rainy season has set in which is timed nicely as I've just started to build a potting shed and only managed the concrete base so far.
Can agree about being second in command, limited to what I can do but do what told to in the garden. Ours is more of a picturesque one, we enjoy having breaks so the garden is more of enjoyment than productivity. The greenfingers belong to my other half whose enjoyment of the outside is [for her] a relaxing experience, now is the time of preparing the garden for the winter period so I will be on hand as gardeners mate to help where possible.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We bought tomato plants that were supposed to produce big tomatoes. Most were the same size as a cherry tomato. Very disappointing as how can you complain a couple of months later!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We bought tomato plants that were supposed to produce big tomatoes. Most were the same size as a cherry tomato. Very disappointing as how can you complain a couple of months later!
My pendulous begonias in baskets are about 2 ft high and enormous. But nothing pendulous about them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts