Strange rocking motion when towing.

Apr 30, 2006
Visit site
I'll start by admiting it was the first time I towed yesterday and towed my friends' Bailey Pageant Provence with my 2.0 TDi VW Touran. Not strictly a good match, but the van was empty.

When towing there was a strange to and fro rocking motion, almost like the brakes were being applied and released. This went on for the whole of the 10 mile trip. We actually stopped once to check the caravan handbrake was off, which is was

I guess this is not normal, any suggestions?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob,

Surging as you describe is not normal.

And you need to describe your journey in a bit more detail - so what sort of road where you driving on?

Was it a typical A-road on the flat with long sections of constant speed driving?

Did you notice the surging when accelerating? or only at constant speed - and what speed or speeds?

What engine revs were you using when you noticed the surging? And is your Touran manual or automatic?

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob

Only time I experienced what you describe was linked to a trailers brakes binding.

Once overhauled all went back to normal.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you friend's caravan was empty, it's noseweight may have been much too light.

Although the static noseweight is constant during towing, the dynamic noseweight varies considerably. If the static noseweight is too low to start with the dynamic noseweight can go negative at times giving just the symptons you describe.

For best stability the noseweight should ideally be set to the LOWEST noseweight limit of caravan hitch, car and towbar. Clearly it must never exceed any of these limits but the heavier the better.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I would tend to go with Roger on this one. I've experienced a similar sensation when towing large trailers with a huge weight over the axles. What happens is exactly as Roger says, the noseweight is constantly switching and heaving at the car. Try making the same tow with a moderate weight in the front locker to satisfy your curiosity.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rob,

Not withstanding any of the good advice already offered, as a novice to towing, you may appreciate the the very dynamic effect that towing has on the car. Do check the nose and weight distributions and if there is no improvement I suggest you ask you friend to take a ride and see if he/she feels there is anything to be concerned about.

Jun 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob,

I have a Touran and experienced the same thing last weekend.

On my outward journey the noseweight was just under 70kg and I could feel a kind of of backwards and forwards tugging motion.

On the return journey I put the noseweight up to approx 80-85kg (not sure how accurate my scales are) and everything was fine.

Regards,

Andy

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like others above , I believe your problem may be linked to the unloaded state of your caravan.

I find my outfit feels more 'jittery' when empty (e.g. when taking it for annual service). I have experienced the surging you describe at these times..

Jul 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

We are experiencing problems towing a new Bailey Pageant Monarch. We are getting side to side sway and also had pitching and bucking. I have posted extensively elsewhere on this. I am certain that the problem is not about loading, weight etc. Done this game for 25 years and never had anything like this. Have the new diesel Honda Accord Tourer estate. Can't use the lockers and wardrobe at all when towing. Some suggest twisted chassis, oval wheels, too much overhang on the car. haven't got it sorted and am actually now scared to tow.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
We had this sort of problem with a Swift some years ago, the van was only "happy" with the nose weight limit full on the limit, but self levelling struts fitted were the main change in the way it towed. The cars suspension was just to soft and over the slightest of bumops the car pitched up and down.

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
a

some times there is a mismatch between v an and car that is difficult to explain. Some years back I towed an Abbey Oxford with a 1.8 Vauxhall Carlton without any problems. I changed cars to a brand new Ford Granada and the unit was unstable. On paper the Granada should have been the better tow car, heavier and more power and torque but the stability was terrible. I tried loading positions, adding air shocks all to no avail. So I swopped the van to a Eccles Emerald. Same weight and size and layout. It was perfectly stable. I put it down to airflow over car and caravan and towing at a 1:1 ratio. I keep to about 70% now and don't get any problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In reply to the comment by a on the Accord Tourer diesel, I have towed with this car extensively and always found it to be extremly stable apart from one occasion when I did not get the chance to adjust the tyre pressures before picking the van out of storage. If you have not already tried it go right up to the 45psi which Honda recommend for the rear tyres, this may just cure your problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts