Stressed Greenhorn says Hello

Oct 11, 2022
Visit site
Started with a caravan, 5 children and water pumped by pressing a button on the floor. Gas mantles and an elsan loo. No pegs to park between. Sweet uncomplicated bliss! Apart from loo needs in the night and chips with meatballs being considered the best camper meal. Now 4 motorhomes and many years later - back to a caravan due to hubby’s health. Just managed first trip but was so stressed I thought I’d left caravan keys at home when we arrived on site. The wardens unhitched us manually and I was ready to meet son halfway with spare keys. Then found keys in back of car with dogs. Took every opportunity to watch sophisticated kit being set up by amazingly competent caravanners. So will no doubt be a frequent visitor to here since all the complicated gadgets and setting up procedures are now down to me Now to master winterising it! You all sound wonderful people and maybe next season it will all become second nature and I will have read the print of the Caravan magazine.

Reactions: SteveW

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to the forum. It does get easier. If you can manage 5 kids you can master a caravan. Just keep asking questions. Folks on here are really friendly and do their best to be as helpful as possible.
mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Hope a bit more experience helps get the stress levels down. Possibly follow my wife's idea which is to have loaded on her tablet a complete list of everything, including keys, that we take and check it before setting off.
Assuming you use the winder to lift he legs before setting off and then lock it in the front locker you have the keys so cannot forget them. We do take both sets though to guard against losing one set but do not leave the spare ones in the caravan as that might invalidate your insurance in a theft claim.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Started with a caravan, 5 children and water pumped by pressing a button on the floor. Gas mantles and an elsan loo. No pegs to park between. Sweet uncomplicated bliss! Apart from loo needs in the night and chips with meatballs being considered the best camper meal. Now 4 motorhomes and many years later - back to a caravan due to hubby’s health. Just managed first trip but was so stressed I thought I’d left caravan keys at home when we arrived on site. The wardens unhitched us manually and I was ready to meet son halfway with spare keys. Then found keys in back of car with dogs. Took every opportunity to watch sophisticated kit being set up by amazingly competent caravanners. So will no doubt be a frequent visitor to here since all the complicated gadgets and setting up procedures are now down to me Now to master winterising it! You all sound wonderful people and maybe next season it will all become second nature and I will have read the print of the Caravan magazine.
Why winterise it? Use it I say 😉. Happy caravanning!

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts