Stupid American Warnings

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
On the tow car forum there is a debate about tow cars which includes a quote from Kanga regarding stickers on 4x4's warning that they may tip up.

On the same kind of subject can anyone explain to me the meaning of the warning written on wing mirrors of American Cars and immortalised by Meatloaf and the Jurassic Park Film.

"Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are"

Just how exactly does this particular distortion of view caused by a convex lense affect safety, surly the only danger would occur from objects being closer than they appear, but it does not say that.

Or am I just being thick?????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Graham,

I have the same warning on the mirrors of one of my motorbikes. Although it beats me why it's there, it can effect the way I ride in so far as I may go to pull out and see something in my mirrors and think better of it, when in reality I would have had enough time and room to carry out what I wanted to.

Changing the subject slighty, I did hear a great story about an American who crashed his camper van and then sued the makers over the wording in the owners manual.

What happened was this, he put the camper into "Autopilot" (Cruise Control) and then left the drivers seat to make a drink! He thought the thing steered itself!

Cheers

Mark

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Mark

It wasn't a story it was true. Winnebago actually changed the wording in the operator's manual and had to pay the guy lots of compensation and replace his motor home. Can't remember the exact year but he was awarded the annual Stella award for it.

For those who don't know, the Stella awards are named after the daft cow who successfully sued Mc Donald's for the hot apple pie issue.

My favourite is the woman who sued a furniture warehouse for damaged as she had been tripped up by an unruly child whilst in the store (it was her kid)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Saw a notice on a bag of peanuts in a greengrocer in cornwall, it said "warning may contain nuts"! (I know its not American but the peanuts probably were)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That story with the motor home and the cruise control, utter codswollop, I read about this and must admit I half believed it but this story was one of those urban myths that people pass around and lets face it maybe it could have been true being an American but sadley not.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A sign on the train into work today said, 'Please do not leave the train while the doors are closed'????????? this was a german made train
Ah! thats just so you stay put whilst they put their towels on the sunbeds!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Once bought a pair of wing mirrors with a sticker on the glass telling me how to remove glass for replacement. A second sticker told me how to remove the stickers! On the subject of stickers how about all the "Child/baby/little person on board" ones. What are we supposed to do about it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Treat that car with real care. The person driving it has probably been staved of sleep, fatigued to the point of exhaustion, wishes that they were totally deaf, have a strange smell about them and realised that their party day are over for good. Like I say, treat that car with care and give them space.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello GrahamW,

Ido wonder if you have quoted the phrase accuratley,as a convex mirror (i.e centre of the mirror bows towards you) would appear to make objects smaller than they actually are.

I think it is likely that Tina has given the quote more accurately.

It is easier to understand the warning in Tina's version, and it fits my perception of reality as well.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lol

while I think you're explanation of the child stickers is spot on(and really funny)can I point out a serious note !?

These stickers have on many an occasion helped save a child that has been thrown from a vehicle in an rta !! the services see this sticker and will check check check and check again ,many a baby found in a field or down the road still strapped in his seat !!!!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina

I must say the r.t.a. situation had not crossed my mind so I hang my head in shame. It's just that some of those stickers are so twee and pretentious.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Yeah I know what you mean, "princess on board" and all that !!

Graham W I believe has "danger-mother in law on board " (only jokin Graham !!!!!!! :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Once bought a pair of wing mirrors with a sticker on the glass telling me how to remove glass for replacement. A second sticker told me how to remove the stickers! On the subject of stickers how about all the "Child/baby/little person on board" ones. What are we supposed to do about it?
I thought it was a warning like "Beware of the Dog"!

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
JohnL

No definatly not mis quoted, the reason I refered to Meatloaf and Jurassic Park in my original post was the exact wwording is a matter of record on the Meatloaf single of the same name. Also you can actually read it on the mirrors in the film when the t-rex is chasing the jeep.

Like you I could fully understand it if it was as Tina has said, her car is, after all, Korean and not American. They obviously got it right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts