Stupid newbie questions about a shower..

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I'm a total newbie; just bought my first caravan, which is old (early 90s maybe?) and in need of MUCH refurbishment! The original shower, if indeed it had one, is gone. I need general advice on the options open to me: Water heaters; Gas? 12volt? 240volt? Pump; 12 or 240v? Are there a single units that both pump and heat the water? It's a small caravan and I don't envisage carrying mega gallons of water, but presumably I have to, or can I run a shower from a convenient cold water source? (ie Go fill the biggest big bucket I can find and put a hose in it) I still have to carry the waste though, so I'll need at least one water tank for that under the floor? Thanking you in advance for your patience..

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Pete

It might be possible to find out more if you could tell us the make and model of your caravan.

Is there a handbook or any other paperwork with it?

I'll try to give a brief outline anyway. Many caravans from the 1990s have water heaters already fitted and these run off gas/12v electrics.The method of drawing water is usually via a pump attatched to the caravan, often made by whale and these are 12v. The water is stored in an aquaroll which is filled from an onsite tap and taken to your caravan and the pump is immersed into the aquaroll. The waste water exits via pipes either to the side or rear of your caravan and it's collected in a waste water container and emptied at a designated point onsite, so there's no question of transporting either clean or waste water onboard the caravan, everything is done when you are set up on site and the weight of the caravan is critical, especially in relation to your towcar.

It might be a good idea to have a look at caravan magazines to glean a better insight into caravan ownership and maybe a trip round a local caravan dealers with an accessory shop might prove to be enlightening, someone might show you the pump conections and heater switch on a caravan which is similar to yours. Copy and paste the web address of towsure into your browser and you'll see many caravan parts and accessories.

http://www.towsure.com/

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I meant to add,on the left of the forum under the Practical Caravan logo click on the blue box labelled HOME PAGE.

Scroll down toward the bottom of the page and click on KNOWLEDGE BASE where you will find an A-Z guide to caravan equipment and systems.This might shed a bit more light on things for you but if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask, we were all new to caravanning once.

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi Pete

I'm new too, so don't know very much, but when we bought our 'van (privately) the lovely guy gave us all his books for sites every possible manufacturers handbook etc and in amongst it all is a book called The Caravan Manual by John Wickersham published by Haynes.

It is full of useful info and photos of how to install and repair various pieces of equipment. It might be worth a look.

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Parksy and Sophie! On reflection I think it's probably older than I thought.. no papers, and the sink has a footpump. Relieved to know I wont have to carry tons of water! I'm pretty sure there's no heater, as there's no shower, although what looks like the remnants of a 'bathroom'.. It's been fairly chopped about; the guy I bought it off was using it as an on-site office, so it had a huge desk area taking up a third of the available space! I'll get hold of a Haynes manual and work it out, along with the online resources you given me. Cheers!

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
If you are totally new to caravans then I suggest you go to a dealer and see what new caravans have. As long as your caravan is sound it can be upgraded with all the new fancy stuff. You will need to buy a water and space heater, fridge, etc designed for caravans but much of the other work uses DIY materials and skills. Just make sure you don't go over the maximum weight allowance of the original design (including camping and personal stuff of course).

Alan

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
After a bit of detective work, in particular on a site called knowsleycaravans.co.uk it appears I am the proud owner of an early 1970's Sprite. That would explain why all the window surround trim has cracked and perished.. The van probably should have perished itself by now, but it's about to get a new lease of life, and some fancy 21st Century upgrades! Theres a lot of satisfaction to be had with a project like this. But I'll get my mechanic to check out the chassis and running gear before I go to town on it. Better take some 'before and after' pics. It's already had a wood burner fitted, for heating. How many caravans have you seen with 3 feet of silver chimney sticking out the top then, eh? Jealous now, aintcha..

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete, just a word of caution.

It is totally illegal to have a wood burning appliance in any caravan, motorhome or any recreational leisure vehicle.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian, does that go for the 'showman' type caravans, I've seen a few recently with wood burning stoves in them.

Not something I'd opt for, given where I work.

Lisa

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I dunno. Can we post pics here? I'm in the west, close to Galway, which is the rockingest town in the country, imho..
Hey Mr Moderator, just stumbled upon this in the forum of www.oldclassicar.co.uk and thought it may be of interest to you guys.. Happy trails!

CONTRIBUTORS SOUGHT FOR BBC4 CARAVAN PROGRAMME!

Do you have fond memories of touring caravan holidays in the 1940s, 50s, 60s or 70s? Or were you involved with the design/manufacture of touring caravans during these decades?

I am looking for contributors to take part in a BBC4 nostalgic social history documentary about British caravanning. The filming will take place in July/Aug/early Sept. As well as interviewees, I'm also keen to track down old photographs, cine/film, advertising material or caravan memorabilia from this period.

We also intend to film two or three actual caravan journeys so we're also looking for individuals/couples/families planning a touring caravan holiday this summer. The aim is to trigger your memories of a holiday from the 50s, 60s or 70s by recreating your original journey (or part thereof). It could be the route of your first ever caravan holiday or a journey that you've been making regularly for decades. Or any place that you would like to revisit; where you can recall special times and interesting, amusing or surprising anecdotes.

We'd like to hear from you if you're staying within Britain or touring abroad. Again, this foreign trip should be an opportunity for you to recall memories of taking your caravan overseas in the 1940s - 70s. Perhaps you travelled to the Costa del Sol before the 1970s, and remember small fishing villages from the era before mass-tourism.

If you'd like to talk to me regarding any of the above, please phone Leona Coulter on 028 9024 3331 or 028 9269 0767 or E-mail lcoulter@doublebandfilms.com

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pete

Thanks for posting the information.

To answer your question, yes you can post pics on here. I'm very interested to see some pics of your van and also hearing about the work you intend to carry out on it.

Lisa

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa, sorry for the delay in replying to your question earlier.

Yes the rules do apply to showman type vans as well, in fact ALL vans, whatever the description, ie statics, touring, motor, as they are a severe fire hazard, they are a severe health hazard as they draw all combustion air from inside the van and they are a severe burn risk hazard for obvious reasons.

Mar 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Pete

Not the first time I've camped in Spiddal !!!

I know everyone starts somewhere and my first one was something like your description....When I finished it I placed a sign on the front shelf 'PROJECT' and boys was it a project but as far as the shower goes I ripped out that corner and made a T.V unit....it was so cosy with new carpet, new upholstery covering (

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Ray! I'm still looking into the whole shower idea. It may prove prohibitively expensive in a van this old, but we'll see. The floor is solid, so that's good news. Got some damp patches of wood panelling to replace, and the causes to investigate.. Upholstery and curtains look good as new after I washed them. No plans for a TV, since I don't have one at home! Bad for the brain I reckon..

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa, sorry for the delay in replying to your question earlier.

Yes the rules do apply to showman type vans as well, in fact ALL vans, whatever the description, ie statics, touring, motor, as they are a severe fire hazard, they are a severe health hazard as they draw all combustion air from inside the van and they are a severe burn risk hazard for obvious reasons.
Thanks Damian.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Pete, with your imagination I'm sure you'll come up with some good ideas. The beauty of having a blank canvass is the sky's the limit.

Personally a Jacuzzi bath is a must, on board home cinema not essential but nice. If your not into TV have you considered a snooker table ? Full size of course.This can also double up as a worktop and dining table. You should be able to invite a few mates round for a bit of craic.

One thing not to forget though, leave enough room for the horse's food.

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Pete, with your imagination I'm sure you'll come up with some good ideas. The beauty of having a blank canvass is the sky's the limit.

Personally a Jacuzzi bath is a must, on board home cinema not essential but nice. If your not into TV have you considered a snooker table ? Full size of course.This can also double up as a worktop and dining table. You should be able to invite a few mates round for a bit of craic.

One thing not to forget though, leave enough room for the horse's food.
I did consider the snooker table.. but then I figured it would be constantly getting wet as people dived into the swimming pool, so it didn't seem practical after all. Plus you would get tomato sauce all over it at dinner time. You have to consider all the angles. Especially with a snooker table..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts