Stuttering Motor Mover

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
If a battery is low and you use a motor mover you may have issues with it cutting out. I was repeating what i was told by the Powertouch technician when he fitted our AWD motor mover. When you apply load it will drop down considerably so probably not rubbish as you put it so eloquently!

My battery appears to be shot. From a standing charge of 12.65v yesterday, after about 24 hours it's down to 12.31v.

Hi Buckman. Could, as the voltage falls, one of the motors cut out, before the other, so that all the load goes onto increasing the load on the opposite motor, so that will keep running? If that makes sense.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The two Powrtouch (Manual and auto) I have owned both stated that intermittent operation could be caused by battery voltage below 12 volts. I know the OP doesnโ€™t have Powrtouch but I feel itโ€™s minimum voltage could be virtually the same..11 volts for stable operation seems low to me. The table below is from Powrtouch.

View attachment 2461
OC. they are similar, my replacement brushes are powertouch

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
its Worth checking the inside of the battery terminal clamps, I had a situation where there was corrosion inside the terminal clamp and I fitted new battery lead clamps and it made a massive difference, inside the terminal isnโ€™t obviously corroded.

BP

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
My battery appears to be shot. From a standing charge of 12.65v yesterday, after about 24 hours it's down to 12.31v.

Was that voltage drop noted when the battery was connected to the caravan?

If so then it might be worth checking if the battery drops voltage when disconnected from the caravan, if the battery retains voltage when disconnected from the caravan then parasitic drain could be investigated.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Another thing that springs to mind is whether yours is the type with a thin, wire receiver/aerial. Is it blocked, damaged or simply needing the remote resetting to it. My last one was like that.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Update. cleaned everything I could. Thought the brushes were a little tight in their slides, rubbed down with wet and dry paper soaked in contact cleaner.
tightened spade connects
. Been away for a week used it just to put van away and once to line tow ball up Ran well, Fingers Crossed.

Edit-- used it to get van out.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Update. cleaned everything I could. Thought the brushes were a little tight in their slides, rubbed down with wet and dry paper soaked in contact cleaner.
tightened spade connects
. Been away for a week used it just to put van away and once to line tow ball up Ran well, Fingers Crossed.
๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคžyouโ€™ve fixed it๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Fingers Crossed ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž

๐Ÿ–– May the force be with me ๐Ÿ––

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Letโ€™s hope it is fixed. But an easy check if you have more problems. If you have a decent car battery simply swap them and see how well that performs.

John

Reactions: DaveA1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts