Subaru Forrester

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I am looking at a new (ish) Subaru Forrester to tow my Lunar Lexon 530 (mtplm 1460)

From what Towcar.com the match is 94%. This worries me a little as its a bit high.

Does anyone else have a Forrester, whats it like? How does it tow?

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi we are on our second Forester and our 5th Subaru in total ( other ones were all Subaru Legacy versions

The towing performance is superb, the permanent all wheel drive is brilliant in the snow and on muddy fields...
Our caravan is smaller than yours ( our tow ratio is around 66%) but the hand book for the car shows the max towing weight as 2 tons (approx)

Many farmers on Exmoor seem to tow a heavy Rice trailer and with a couple of 16hh hunters on board the all up weight is probably a lot higher than it should be....However they seem to keep up a ferocious pace even on major hills like Countisbury. I have even seen a Forester towing a broken down lorry up Porlock hill and they kept up a cracking pace.

The low ratio (lever operated at speeds up to 50mph) works briliantly, and although its not used often...... for Porlock Hill and the like its just the job.

Servicing is reasonaly priced, I can't comment on the price of parts/spares as over the last 20 years of Subaru ownership we have only had to replace one sidelamp bulb...

We have the petrol version 2000cc about 160 or so horsepower and the only slight downside is that its not as economical on petrol as some of its competitors ( Its not bad on petrol its just that some others are a bit better.)

There is a diesel version and this utilises the familiar "boxer" engine configuration that has been tried and tested over the last 20 or 30 years.

For towing and comfort and reliablity and overall performance I wouldn't swap it for any other vehicle.
Regards
paws

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
No low ratio on the diesel. Perhaps the best small SUV for towing if it wasn't for the low kerb weight. The good weight ratio is important towing a caravan at motorway speed.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I came across this You Tube review of the Subaru Forester:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA3zikeX8A&list=PLVga--uHlYdv-GulvUQMXedvmc3guIGvk

It may provide some extra info.
Happy Caravanning
Regards
paws

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I no longer tow but bought a 2.0XE 2014 lineatronic this April. I decided on the petrol as no longer towing I couldn't be doing with diesel and it's associated DPF, turbo,DMF, intercooler and expensive injection kit. But for towing I can see why a diesel is attractive although mine is rated at 2000kg with a Mass in Service of 1577kg. I love driving it and there is more rear leg room than in the Gen 3 XC70. My passengers prefer it too. It has trailer assist, to complement the normal safety aids and SL suspension. Despite what TCOY 2014 says you cannot get an official Subaru option of a full size spare but one does fit. See my post this afternoon in the Tow Car 2014 thread for more info. Why UK Subaru put so much into advertising the rural environment for this car and it's towing credentials yet don't offer UK what they offer OZ defeats me. There is a review of the diesel forester in this months CC mag.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Picking up on an earlier post the Subaru has 12 month or 12000 service intervals and both diesel and petrol are cam chain not cam belt. So that's a major saving on servicing costs as my XC70 cam belt would be £700

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts