Suck it and See Mirrors

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Morning all

I'm wondering what experiences people have with these mirrors that suction on to the existing door mirror glass - like this -

The reviews I can find online are positive but there aren't many of them, and I have a rooted distrust of things that attach by suction - do these really stay as firmly attached as the makers claim? I've tried my old Milenco mirrors on the new car, and they don't fit the sculpted mirror edges very well, and Mrs Gozza (whose name is on the vehicle lease agreement) is paranoid about anything that might leave scratch marks - so if the suction mirrors are any good I'll give them a try!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Are you aware that you can buy adaptors for the Milenco mirrors. We bought them and they work really well. I think there are different feet for different cars. Use Google to search for Milenco mirror adaptor feet.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just make sure you have them on right and there isn"t a problem the safety cord is for peace of mine but i preferred the Milenco mirrors .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Milenco have the best modifiers of feet clamps of any make. They work hard at trying to ensure a wide variety of car models are catered for. You can also fit the Milencos to the bottom edge of the cars mirrors on some cars. Give them a ring their customer service is good.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I am using Suck-it-and-see Delux. My Polestar has frameless mirrors so there is nothing for my old Milenco Aero Grand to clamp on to.

The Suck it and see are WAY better than the Milenco. They are just as easy to fit, Infinitly easier to adjust (as they move with the glass in the mirror), offer just as good a view, and weigh about 1/10th of the Milenco grand. I wish I had found them sooner.

We have towed about 2,500 miles with them, and had one fall off once, the second time we used it (held by the safety cord) - I hadn't fitted it properly. Lesson learned and I test them once fitted to ensure they are solid - they are.

The Delux version that I use have a mirror on the suction handle that works as a blind spot mirror, as well as the main surface of the extension mirror and the remaining glass on the car mirror. Lots of vision opportunities.

Delux with Blind spot mirror

I still have my Milencos if anyone wants to buy them. - DM me!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Suck-it-and-See mirrors don't have type approval. That means the existing outside rear view mirror is the only type approved outside rear view mirror on the vehicle, but the base of the Suck-it-and-See obscures part of the field of view of the standard mirror thereby rendering its type approval null and void. As a consequence Suck-it-and-See mirrors are actually illegal.
Besides, in case the extra load imparted into the mirror adjustment mechanism by the Suck-it-and-See mirrors attached to the mirror glass could cause premature failure of that mechanism or of the adhesive bond between the mirror glass itself and the mechanism.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Suck-it-and-See mirrors don't have type approval. That means the existing outside rear view mirror is the only type approved outside rear view mirror on the vehicle, but the base of the Suck-it-and-See obscures part of the field of view of the standard mirror thereby rendering its type approval null and void. As a consequence Suck-it-and-See mirrors are actually illegal.
Besides, in case the extra load imparted into the mirror adjustment mechanism by the Suck-it-and-See mirrors attached to the mirror glass could cause premature failure of that mechanism or of the adhesive bond between the mirror glass itself and the mechanism.
Suck it and See are E11 approved. Is there some other type approval that is needed? On my car, the mirror glass is an integral part of the mirror housing. The entire housing moves to adjust the mirror. The extra load from a suck it and see is _much_ lower than a Milenco mirror as its so much ligher, and has a much lower wind profile. In addition, there is an integral blind spot mirror on the suction mechanism giving further visibility.

Reactions: Gozza2
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I saw the type approval bit and wonder where the suggestion it is not approved comes from. There are some dodgy things on Amazon so is this one?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In that case I apologise for misinformation. (Suck-it-and-See mirrors didn't used to be type approved). Of course, if the mirror glass is solidly attached to the housing and the entire housing moves when the mirror is adjusted (which is rather unusual) then the reservation that I had doesn't apply. In most cases, however, only the glass is adjusted.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
In that case I apologise for misinformation. (Suck-it-and-See mirrors didn't used to be type approved). Of course, if the mirror glass is solidly attached to the housing and the entire housing moves when the mirror is adjusted (which is rather unusual) then the reservation that I had doesn't apply. In most cases, however, only the glass is adjusted.
The Polestar is a bit (quite a lot) unusual in that sense! It does make for a simple and effective towing mirror solution though. You can mount the suction cup very close to the edge of the mirror without worrying about fowling the frame (as there isn't one). I have to admit - I was worried when I ordered the car that mirrors might be an issue (having been used to the Milenco clamp type for 12 years). It was a pleasant surprise to find how easy they are to use.
I also have to admit that I didn't know type approval for mirrors was needed until about 2 weeks after I bought the Suck-it-and-See. I had to go out and physically examine them to double check the E11 mark was present! It is :) . I will post a decent picture of them attached to the mirror at some point.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi all

Just an update on this which may help anyone thinking of buying these mirrors - I tried a set on a recent short tow. I bought the deluxe version which has built-in blind spot mirror and is E11 approved.

The mirrors stayed solidly attached and were adjustable with the ordinary door mirror adjusters, as advertised. The blind spot mirror works well and is useful.

My only reservation is that compared to any other extension mirror I've ever used, they're tiny! Part of the issue is that when fitted in the way you'd expect, the mirrors are in portrait orientation and that isn't adjustable, so you've got more high -and-low view than you need, and less left to right than would be useful. But they give the legally-required view as long as they're adjusted correctly, and have the definite advantage that Mrs Gozza likes them!

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Given the number of people who tow caravans without towing mirrors and appear to get away with it, I'd be amazed if anyone got pulled on a "Type Approval" breach!

I use Milenco, and are happy with them, they initially do take a bit to set up correctly, but after a few times it's pretty quick, that said I do like the idea of being able to use the OEM mirror to adjust!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I use Milenco, and are happy with them, they initially do take a bit to set up correctly, but after a few times it's pretty quick, that said I do like the idea of being able to use the OEM mirror to adjust!

On should be aware, however, that if the adhesive bond between the mirror glass itself and the adjustment mechanism fails because of the additional load of the Suck it and See mirror, the manufacturer won't accept product liability.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Tobes , does this mean your mirror glass alone cannot be replaced, the whole mirror assembly is required?A quick look showed a used mirror assembly at ÂŁ400 plus I guess the cost of painting. I have found mirror glass is very thin.
I am sure the stick ones have worked for you but I can’t help feel the stick ones may well be overloading the strength of the mirror glass.🤔

May 15, 2023
Visit site
On should be aware, however, that if the adhesive bond between the mirror glass itself and the adjustment mechanism fails because of the additional load of the Suck it and See mirror, the manufacturer won't accept product liability.
On most modern vehicles the OEM mirror glass unit clips into the adjustment mechanism, to take the glass out takes a bit of force with plastic levers. I’m always concerned the glass is going to break when removing it, touch wood it never has! I’d be surprised if these stick on towing mirrors could un-clip the OEM mirror glass.

The only exception is when someone has performed a cheap repair , using a replacement glass that sticks onto the original broken glass with adhesive pads. In this case I wouldn’t trust stick on towing mirrors.

Modern mirror housings can contain a bunch of electronics, indicators, cameras, GPS antennas, heaters, projectors, meaning the need to pop the glass out, for more than just replacement for a broken mirror glass is far more frequent these days.

if you do have to replace the glass, avoid the ”glass only with adhesive pads”, get a proper replacement has the heater an brackets built in, most cost less than £25 and are a 1 minute DIY job to fit.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
On most modern vehicles the OEM mirror glass unit clips into the adjustment mechanism, to take the glass out takes a bit of force with plastic levers. I’m always concerned the glass is going to break when removing it, touch wood it never has! I’d be surprised if these stick on towing mirrors could un-clip the OEM mirror glass.
The mirror glass is seldom clipped directly because then the clips would be visible at the edges. Normally there is a plastic moulding bonded to the mirror glass to which the clips engage that allows an invisible attachment. It was that adhesive bond that I would consider vulnerable - perhaps not so much when the Suck-it-and-See mirror is removed, but more over time in service when there are dynamic loads on the Suck-it-and-See mirror.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
From the pictures and description from Tobes his Polestar mirrors have virtually no outer frame. The appear integrated to the housing.

May 15, 2023
Visit site
From the pictures and description from Tobes his Polestar mirrors have virtually no outer frame. The appear integrated to the housing.
Thats because on these cars to adjust the mirror, the whole housing moves, where as on most vehicles the glass moves within the housing.
The glass is supplied as a separate part to the housing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats because on these cars to adjust the mirror, the whole housing moves, where as on most vehicles the glass moves within the housing.
The glass is supplied as a separate part to the housing.
I am aware of that design feature and have some experience of other types of mirror too.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Tobes , does this mean your mirror glass alone cannot be replaced, the whole mirror assembly is required?A quick look showed a used mirror assembly at ÂŁ400 plus I guess the cost of painting. I have found mirror glass is very thin.
I am sure the stick ones have worked for you but I can’t help feel the stick ones may well be overloading the strength of the mirror glass.🤔
I would not think so, just that he the glass is held into the mirror by the entire "frame" (its frameless so having a frame is a bit odd).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts