Suction Mirrors

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Any good? If not could anyone give advice as to the best towing mirrors? I have a Citroen C4 Picasso which has quite large mirrors that retract when the ingnition is turned off. Thanks.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I tried one ONCE!

Absolutely useless.

They block off the existing mirror and shake about all over the place.

I wouldn't go near them.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
And if your mirrors retract on the car it would mean having to take them off before you can turn off the ignition.

Milenco every time.

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
We've also been using them for years and found them easy to use and very stable - much quicker to fit and will adjust with the mirror itself, unlike those that fix to the mirror casing

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The mechanism of standard mirrors and the adhesive joint between the mechanism and the mirror glass was never designed to take the extra load of a "suck-it-and-see" mirror. It is therefore risky to use this type of mirror and hardly surprising if you experience a mirror vibration problem.

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
The mechanism of standard mirrors and the adhesive joint between the mechanism and the mirror glass was never designed to take the extra load of a "suck-it-and-see" mirror. It is therefore risky to use this type of mirror and hardly surprising if you experience a mirror vibration problem.
I have used these mirrors in all-weathers throughout europe.

I do not have vibration problems - as they are light there is little strain on the door-mirror glass - they stay inplace if you wind the cap onto a dry glass.

I fix and adjust them on the commencment of my journey and remove them when i get to my destination - i do not leave them in place when i fold in my door mirrors - why invite possible damage when there is no need.

GRAHAM

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If you have not had any problems with them, then you have been lucky. It's not so much the weight of them that puts additional stresses into the normal rear view mirror assembly, but the additional forces arsing from their aerodynamic drag, and this can be quite substantial at 60mph.

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
I think that it's hard to beat Milenco Aeros. We had them on our CRV and they would cope with the electric mirrors folding in.

Mike

Catherine, why shouldn't you use your normal mirrors when you are towing?

I fit and use my millenco mirrors AND my normal mirrors as you call them, and in fact the small blind spot mirrors that I have too.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Why not????
Exactly. Why not? All tools are useful and the normal ones don't vibrate either. Just the same as the wide angle ones on my lorry. Extra mirrors = more vision. Simple enough really.

TBH I only fit the extended ones to comply with the law. I can see down the side of the van from the normal mirrors on my Discovery but the car IS slightly narrower than the van so plod says I must have the milencos

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
You should not be using your 'normal' mirrors when you are towing
Exactly. Why not? All tools are useful and the normal ones don't vibrate either. Just the same as the wide angle ones on my lorry. Extra mirrors = more vision. Simple enough really.

TBH I only fit the extended ones to comply with the law. I can see down the side of the van from the normal mirrors on my Discovery but the car IS slightly narrower than the van so plod says I must have the milencos

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
More mirrors = more vision = more safety. Simple enough equation really. The more information available the better informed the decisions.

Or did Volvo fit all those mirrors to my truck for aesthetic appeal?

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
i use the aero 2 mirrors find it much easier plus you get to see down the van with the caravan escically when the road is tight and the areo 2 just clamp ontop

looking back through some back issues i saw a news snippet that local police and vosa pulled a good few caravan with no mirrors on last year. What the legal thingie is with mirrors i dont know but i will be using both the car and the aero 2's

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I found the suction mirrors more a hindrance than using my original strap on mirrors .must admit they are quick but gave me less vision,smaller mirror and as stated the suction blocked my car mirror.

I mark one left and right now and dont need to makelittle if any adjustment .

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
If you have not had any problems with them, then you have been lucky. It's not so much the weight of them that puts additional stresses into the normal rear view mirror assembly, but the additional forces arsing from their aerodynamic drag, and this can be quite substantial at 60mph.
LUTZ IN REPLY TO SUCK ON MIRRORS I HAVE USED THEM SINCE THEY THE CAME ON THE MARKET I TO HAVE TRAVELED ALL OVER AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WHATSOVER SO I MUST BE ANOTHER LUCKY ONE REGARDS DAVE

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts