suction towing mirrors - comments from users ?

g1

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Been considering these. Seem a good idea. Adjustable from inside car (handy when changing drivers), easy to whip off at service stations etc.to avoid them being nicked. Downside would seem that they obscure vision in car mirror and does the extra weight put strain on car mirror and it's motor ? Any commnents from those who've tried them?

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
I've not only tried them, I use them all the time and love them!

Yes, some have said they don't like them because they obscure the vision in the car mirrors and they like to use them to see the caravan wheels with but if carefully positioned, you can still use the car mirrors too. Besides, the field of vision in the Pyramid mirrors is so wide I can see the caravan wheels and what's behind anyway. Plus the fact that you can use the electric mirrors to adjust them means you can alter the view at any time.

As for strain on the car mirrors and motors, no. They are so light there's very little weight on the car mirrors. They stay sucked on too. I've never had one come off yet. And yes, they fit and remove in seconds.

Very happy with them.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I also have them, although only use one. The left hand side one vibrated too much for my liking and I actually prefer driving without one on that side as our mirrors are quite wide and far out. The one on the driver's side is spot on, easy to fix and detatch, light and no problem with the electric motor. It doesn't obscure my car mirror, but that's probably because our door mirrors are quite big. The suction base could potentially take up to two-thirds of a normal car mirror. But Legsmaniac doesn't seem to have a problem with them. Hope I've helped.

Alex.

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I bought one of these suction mirrors, because the ones that I had, had a lot of vibration while driving and pretty useless. So I thought I`d try one, I went to where my caravan was being stored, fitted the mirror, hocked up the caravan, pulled the caravan to the gate, got out of my car opened the gate got back into the car, closed the drivers door and the mirror dropped off and smashed. It lasted all of 10mins. :-(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They are quite simply the best mirrors we have ever used. I really hope this E marking business does not mean they are banned, because we would be very sorry to have to go back to the old-style mirrors we used before. We've used many different brands and styles in over twenty years of caravanning, but these really stand out for excellence.

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi G,

I have a pair of these mirrors and think they are very good.

However I disagree with one of the previous comments about strain on the mirror, motor etc.

Be aware that they can strain the mirror mechanism that they are attached to. This has happened to us, the cars mirror now vibrate slightly even when the 'Suck It and See' mirrors are not attached and when they are, they vibrate more than they used to. May be its specific to our car but it can happen!

Without wishing to open the great E mark debate again, I contacted Pyramid at the end of January asking if their product was type approved. This was their reply

"they were approved a few weeks ago

however technically anything bought before the approval was granted is not approved

As far as we are aware you need approved mirrors for any towing vehicle registered after June 07

It has taken us over a year to get the approval"

So by now I would expect that the mirrors have the E-Mark, but I haven't checked!

Hope this helps

Steve

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

I bought one of these in devon when my usual one got nicked in a service station on the way down??/

if anyone wants it, it can be found by the road side just outside tiverton it dropped off after about 20 mins and got ran over by several cars.

colin

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
Those of you who have had problems with these mirrors are probably not fixing them properly. You need to dampen the suction pad and press it firmly to the glass and then tighten well - not too well of course! We have travelled 1000's of miles with them and only had trouble once or twice when we've not followed our own advice. Even then, the mirror will not fall to the ground if you have fitted the elastic holding band around the wing mirror.

Pyramid have confirmed these mirrors are now 'type approved' and can be given an "E" mark although this is not legally required until 2010 - see my attachment from the Dept of Transport on thread about "E" marks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
E-marked or not I'd be very wary about attaching any load to the glass of an existing standard mirror. For a start, it applies an additional load to the mirror adjustment mechanism - something it was never designed for. Secondly, the standard mirror glass is only stuck in place. Who knows how well this bond will hold up over time if mirror extensions are attached directly to the glass. Thirdly, many mirror glasses also have heating elements in them so if they break due to an unfortunate knock on the 'Suck-it-and-See' mirror, you've got an expensive repair on your hands.

I'm also not sure whether the law does not require unimpaired field of view through the standard mirror, even when additional mirror extensions are fitted.

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
E-marked or not I'd be very wary about attaching any load to the glass of an existing standard mirror. For a start, it applies an additional load to the mirror adjustment mechanism - something it was never designed for. Secondly, the standard mirror glass is only stuck in place. Who knows how well this bond will hold up over time if mirror extensions are attached directly to the glass. Thirdly, many mirror glasses also have heating elements in them so if they break due to an unfortunate knock on the 'Suck-it-and-See' mirror, you've got an expensive repair on your hands.

I'm also not sure whether the law does not require unimpaired field of view through the standard mirror, even when additional mirror extensions are fitted.
ive used these mirrors for a while now never had any problems with them just make sure your car mirror is dry and clean before you attach them and you should have no problems

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts