Suggestions for first caravan

Jan 24, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

We are looking at getting our first caravan and looking for suggestions on what to get as they've changed alot since I went caravanning as a kid. We have a 3 year old and a small dog who will join us.

What layouts work best for putting kids to bed whilst we can still stay up? The rear dinette layouts we used to have don't seem to exist anymore. Also any suggestions for which brands to look for/avoid?

Many thanks!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum marksvg90.

It may help if you can add if you have a tow car already, how many kids and what age, and what sort of budget you have. Also, do you have a B E license?

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

We are looking at getting our first caravan and looking for suggestions on what to get as they've changed alot since I went caravanning as a kid. We have a 3 year old and a small dog who will join us.

What layouts work best for putting kids to bed whilst we can still stay up? The rear dinette layouts we used to have don't seem to exist anymore. Also any suggestions for which brands to look for/avoid?

Many thanks!
We had a 7 meter four berth with fixed bed at the rear when we took two grandchildren and two good sized dogs. The kids were put to bed on the fixed bed and we used the front lounge double bed that we made up. The dogs slept wherever they wanted to.

Practical Caravan magazine shows a range of layouts which could help you think through the options. Also it’s also essential visit dealerships and shows and see the physical arrangements.

Jan 24, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum marksvg90.

It may help if you can add if you have a tow car already, how many kids and what age, and what sort of budget you have. Also, do you have a B E license?

John

Sorry yes - we have one 3 year old. A budget of ~15k and would probably upgrade the tow car. Have a 2019 1.6 petrol Kia Sportage but think it would struggle a bit.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sorry yes - we have one 3 year old. A budget of ~15k and would probably upgrade the tow car. Have a 2019 1.6 petrol Kia Sportage but think it would struggle a bit.

The Sportage 1.6 comes with different HP and also manual or auto and kerbweight varies from about 1500kg to over 1600kg and has a maximum towing weight of 1600kg. This should allow you to safely tow a caravan with MTPLM of 1350kgs until you become more experienced.

Why not do as many others have done? Start with an old small caravan to see if you like it. Use it for a couple of months and then splash out on something more suitable with your preferred layout and then decide if you need to upgrade your car.

For caravan layouts see here. https://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravans.html There are nearly 290 caravan that may suit yourselves.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Members Classifieds for the CMHC contain caravans for sale. Some will be very well looked after and may be being sold for reasons of health or just age. Often all of the kit is included. One thing I would advise is don’t buy a full size awning new fir your van as if you change the van you are then looking at another awning. I would advise something akin to a large porch awning, sometimes referred to as a midi.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
With the car you got you might be okay for a Bailey Orion 450/5 it idea for family there a dedicated kids room to the rear with triple bunks separate from the front lounge .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello Mark, when we were first looking for a caravan, we went around all the dealers within about a 100 radius to us, normally the dealers with more caravans, just to see what different layouts there were. As it happened, I spotted one day a Sterling Eccles Jewel towards the back of a fairly local dealers, we had not bothered to look at it before as it was quite mucky sitting near trees. But it was the one for us a rear fixed bed. Side shower and toilet, and a nice front layout. It came with Aqua roll, and waste carrier and a full awning , which we never used.
Get out to the dealers, haggle for money off if they offer you an awning , you can buy cheap ones, on line.
And good luck.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the only make now available with a bed across the back is Weinsburg, but they are imported only in small numbers. This is possibly the best layout as it does put the child at the back and out of the way. They are well built and lightweight but basic. That apart you may still find some second hand models in other ranges in dealers, but again they will need some searching.
As for quality the recent customer poll by the magazine rated the makes as best Knaus, who build Weinsburg as top followed by Eriba, Adria and Coachman. The remaining UK builders were someway below these and Eldiss came bottom, a position they are normally found.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The Members Classifieds for the CMHC contain caravans for sale. Some will be very well looked after and may be being sold for reasons of health or just age. Often all of the kit is included. One thing I would advise is don’t buy a full size awning new fir your van as if you change the van you are then looking at another awning. I would advise something akin to a large porch awning, sometimes referred to as a midi.
Clive ,has made a good point, On our first van. A brand new Dorema full awning was free, we never used it. To heavy to put up for a weekend, especially with a little one run running around. Light weight midi awnings,to put table and chairs in. We never sit outside wrapped in coats in the evenings,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts