Suggestions for October Half Term.

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi there, I'm after your suggestions and knowledge.

We are still quite new to caravanning and thinking of going away for the October Half Term. The 1st time in the van at this time of year.

We live near Newcastle Upon Tyne and do not want to travel more than a couple of hours.

Been looking at the lakes but nearly all booked and we were just there during the summer. Also looked at the likes of York and surrounding area's with no luck either.

The CC Edinburgh site and Yellowcraig both have availability, what are your comments on these sites considering time of year.

Also Yellowcraig seems to be more grass pitches than hardstanding, what will the grass pitch conditions be like at that time of year.

Also do any of you have any recommendations or site suggestions worth looking at?

We are family of 2 adults and 2 children (age: 6&7) we like a nice peaceful park, good shower block, not realy bothered about a play area.

Look forward to your replies..

Many Thanks

Andrew.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
It's many years since I was at Yellowcraig so wouldn't want to comment now but the Edinburgh site on the Forth is wonderful. Usual high standard of facilities and there is a bus stop not 50 yards from the site gates that takes you into Edinburgh. Don't think of taking your car into the city unless you have arranged a second mortgage for the parking fees.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Andrew,

The site at Yellowcraig has very sandy soil,so drains very quickly if it has been wet.There are plenty of places to visit around the area.....certainly enough for the week.

Have you also thought about River Breamish or Kielder?

Maureen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew, we (hubby+2 kids) use yellowcraigs often at all times of the year, it,s level, with a good shower block and a nice play park , there are sheltered areas and open, grassy pitches too but there are also plenty of hard standings, it,s a level easy walk to the beach and it,s a mile to the village which is easy on bikes, the village has the best ruined castle for exploring (so my kids tell me). My kids love the site as there are plenty of rabbits and places to hide from each other

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
I know this is not Edinburgh but we have been to River Breamish near Alnwick twice this year with a 12 year old who has a thing about castles - of which there are plenty in the area. And once by ourselves for the countryside - of which there is plenty too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts