Summer touring of Scotland

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
Any advice on whether it is necessary to prebook sites at peak times. We are leaving end April and making for Orkneys mid June and Shetland July and returning in August. We prefer not to book sites as never sure if we would like to spend some time in a particular area on way up. Any comments on this would be much appreciated. Thanks Fred

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Fred

We have done Scotland many times and usually pre book. Most are CC sites so no deposit is needed. The commercial sites want deposits, fair enough. You can take a chance but it is possible July / August will be pretty full.

We always stay at Hoddam Castle near Gretna on the way back south. I always pre book there because I know it is full most of the time.

As Clint Eastwood once said "Are you feeling lucky".

Cheers

Alan

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi, We did a tour of Northern Scotland 2 years ago and used CC Sites which we pre-booked.On arrival we found that they were all full so were glad that we had booked ( this was May but not thr bank holiday )

Morvich /Kinlochewe /Brora / Altnaharra

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
My advice would be, to book!

We have been going to Scotland for a good few years, usually late spring/early summer, and have always found the club sites to be very well attended.

May 27, 2007
Visit site
I stayed in Shetland for 5 years and returned last year. There are 2 sites one in Lerwick and a brand new site in the north at Eshaness. Lerwick site has a few stances although the one in the north only has maybe 6 hook ups. However its in a great location if you want remote scenery and peace. The site is brand new and has a licensed restuarant with brand new shower block and laundrette on site.

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi Fred,if you are heading up east coast of Scotland i.e the A9 there are a few sites such as Dornoch,Golspie and i think there is one at Dunnet Head.Alternatively you could head up the West coast and stop at the wonderful sango sands at Durness.Most of them do not require prebooking though dont quote me on this.I regularly travel up this way and rarely have a problem.If you are getting the Aberdeen ferry you can ignore all of the above advice as you wont be anywhere near them!!

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Excuse me for hijacking this thread - but it is relevant.

If travelling up to the west coast, is it wise to go eastward around Glasgow (via Sterling) or is westward around Loch Lomond OK. I have been advised to go via Sterling, but this is taking me on a big detour - I want to get to Carradale Bay, Campbell Town.

A friend has advised, the west route around Loch Lomond, the A82, is not that great for towing caravans. Also what is the A83 like between Loch Lomond and Inveraray?

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi Wombat,

We live just north of Glasgow,and the advice to go via Stirling is only for those going north.

There are absolutely no problems via Loch Lomond because you are only travelling to Tarbet and then turning left onto the A83....Arrochar to Inverary.and onwards to Campbeltown.

We have towed a caravan on this route and it is quite safe,with wonderful scenery as a bonus.If you have any other queries let us know.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Wombat.

Totally agree with Maureen.In April we dragged our van (twin-axle) from Luss on the banks of Loch Lomond up the 82 to Tarbert and then on the 83,over the 'Rest and be Thankful' to Inveraray and Lochgilphead.From there we took the A816 to Oban.

Our total length when towing is 42ft and we had no problems at all. On the contrary,it was an absolutely fabulous journey with scenery next to none.

You'll enjoy it!

Dave (Yorkshire)

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Dave & Dee,

Another route to Oban:-

On reaching Inverary,turn right onto the A819.At the junction ,turn left onto the A85.The road from Inverary is good and also very quiet which suits us caravanners.

Maureen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts