Survived our first trip out!!!

May 14, 2006
Visit site
Just returned from our first ever touring trip away and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were actually gutted when we went to ask the site warden if we could stay another night and they said they were booked up. Thanks to all the help from caravanning friends before we left, we managed to get through without a hitch. Our three year old daughter loved helping daddy with all the water and rubbish emptying. She even managed to remember how to use the toilet correctly (which is more than can be said for the wife!!! Speaking of which, one thing i have learned from our first outing is to go with my instinct and empty the toilet when i think it is getting full and not to wait and test the little red light - because sods law it flashed on at 10.30pm after i had had a few beers and had to empty it incase our daughter got up in the night!!!

Cant wait now to get ready to go again in a couple of weeks time.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Glad to hear you had a great time on your first trip and that all went well.I am however a little concerned with one comment that you made 'went without a hitch' this is not to be advised and can lead to serious accidents as I assume you relied on tying the van and car together with rope!

Seriously welcome to the mad set and enjoy the rest of your caravan holidays.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I to am pleased all went well Lee but like The Plotter I was concerned about a comment you made ......

"She even managed to remember how to use the toilet correctly (which is more than can be said for the wife!!! ......

so I take it your wife is now having to wear nappies whilst in your caravan?

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Always worth explaining very clearly how the toilet works to a guest even if they say they know how it works - I speak from experience.

I had someone who thought it worked like one of those boat toilets with the flap, he spent ages trying to push something down with a brush before coming out very embarassed and admitting defeat - but he had taken one look at it and said he knew how it worked.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I always have to smile when I remember back a few years ago, when I removed the cassette to empty it, and yes madam decided to use it! Humorous but very messy.

Enough said.

Allan & Gill.

PS I'm sure we are not the only ones.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks lee ,thats just the kind of thread i like to reed on this forum .Im glad you enjoyed your 1st trip out ,and hope you enjoy many more

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
nice to hear you`ve enjoyed your trip away lee,please don`t hesitate to ask other caravanners for help or advice when your with your caravan,you`ll find most are more than happy to help you out.

and book early for bank holiday weekends away because you`ll find out just how popular caravanning is when you find the sites fully booked.

enjoy :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lee, You did better than me! On our first trip I thought I was raising the caravan on the jockey wheel, instead I was releasing it from the A frame. Oh dear. A red light indicator eh...sounds rather posh. We have a red indicator on our Bailey but it doesn't light up. Believe me, I watch for this coming round because if you see too much of the red mark it is too full. Made that mistake just the once. Glad you had a great time. P.S. Can your daughter have a word with my 13 year old about helping out? My daughter's idea of help is to stay in the car and read her Jacqueline Wilson books! Best wishes, George T.

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
My daughter's idea of helping is to climb into the caravan and watch the little spirit level when I am setting up.....well we wouldn't want her to strain herself now would we.

The wife has an even more ingenious levelling method. Once unhitched, she pours herself a glass of wine, has a sip then places the glass on the window sill. If the wine is level in the glass, we are all set!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts