Suzuki Jimny

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Folks
Not sure if this has already been asked..... sorry if this is repetition.
I like going to places 'off the beaten track' and I've been offered use of a relatives Suzuki Jimny for towing.I've driven the car solo and was surprised to find a quite liked it

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
See page 68/9 of the May 2012 CC magazine. You need a fairly light van but apart form a little lacking in ooomphhh no issues with it from what I can remember. How far off the beaten track??? Our Defender tows very nicely and takes us everywhere we could possibly want to go and further!!!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys
Thanks for your replies, I should have expected a few tongue-in-cheek replies!
I've got an Astra which I use to tow a boat, but I've be been offered the use of an older caravan to see how the family likes it, and a relative has offered use of his Jimny. The caravan has a low MTPLW (can't remember exactly but under 1000 kg) and the Jimny has a braked weight of 1300 kg and a kerbweight of 1000 kg; I think the combination would be OK - if I take things easy.
I've had a look online at the front cover of the May 2012 CC magazine - I couldn't make out what the caravan was - does anyone know? I'm away to try and by a copy.
Living in Scotland I used to go camping before we had the kids. I'd like to take the kids to the same places and campsites down single track roads, but in the comfort of a caravan, sometimes 'wild caravanning' if I could find suitable location to park for a night or 2. This is where I think a 4X4 would be beneficial.
Thanks again
M
P.S. Have you seen the TG Bolivia Special - it's not a Jimny, but the wee SJ seemed to hold its own in the hands of Captain Slow. LOL

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The van is a Sterckerman Starlett 390CP with a mtplm of 970kg. Don't know anything about them I'm afraid and have only gone as far as looking at the bits of the article relevent to your questions as it's not of great interest to me. A lot of older vans 80's-90's will be around this weight though. I seem to think our old shamal was about that sort of weight. I must say I think Jimny is a better looking little car than most modern cars of it's class and certainly better looking than the SX4, but then we love our Defender for it's looks as well and that's hardly changed since the series 1.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Jimny has the same size petrol engine as the previous SJ 314. This little unit has plenty of umph, but the car is fairly low geared and like a lot of Japanese cars seems to run at higher rpm v mph that some European equivalents. Our SJ is now 24 years old and still going stong. It has a low ratio transfer box just like a Defender and was in fact assembled in the LandRover associate factory in Spain. If the Jimny is as easy to service and look after it could be a good buy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts