Swiflty Embarrassed

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
I am wondering if anybody has incurred the same problem with his or her Swift caravan that I have. I bought my Swift Elegance 565 in March 2016 and unfortunately the problems began immediately. To date I have had the following problems with my caravan:

LED mood lights failed twice
Curtains falling off – (tape adhesive not up to the job)
Water pressure in taps not working (reduced flow at kitchen tap)
Panoramic window trim hanging down across the window
Battery box seal fell off
Worktop cracked after 2 days – we were initially informed that we must have abused the worktop and would have to pay money to have it repaired.
Internal front locker striking against caravan trim
Aerial needed replacing. (14 months wait)
Battery box surround cracked and needed a replacement surround (14 month wait)
Nearside front reflector trim misplaced (Seal has folded under the fitting)
Bottom door hinge looks as though it is rusting beneath the paintwork (It is blistered)
N/S Front seat locker brown trim loose
L/H kitchen cupboard trim loose
O/S bed front locker button sticks in
Edging on all locker doors, drawers, under vanity, radio storage door and flaps coming off
Shower screw caps fallen off
Tyre's x 2 cracking on the inside (Identified at the 2nd service and replaced due to the likelihood of a complete failure)
Panasonic window bowing inwards making it difficult to close the blinds
Front panel 2 x cracks
Rear panel 1 x split
Return valve on water system failed leading to a gradual drain down of the onboard water supply
12 volt socket above the bed failed (Never used)
Front offside window infill pulling out
Front cupboard extending leaf misaligned making it difficult to close

My local dealer has been really helpful but I was informed that due to all the problems the caravan will have to go back to the dealer.

My questions are this: is this the norm for Swift caravans? does anybody else feel that Swift CS fail to deal appropriately when an obvious bad apple has slipped the net?

Swift CS response has been to request me to allow yet more repairs albeit the guarantee is winding down and soon any repairs/problems rising will be outside the guarantee period.

Thank you for reading my extended post :(

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You posted this same thread on the Swift Forum with 57 replies and counting. I agree a new van should not have the faults you have listed, and you've certainly had a lemon, Swift have stepped up to the plate and offered to virtually recondition your van.
But this is a problem that's blighted all caravan makes, not just Swift, maybe owners from other makes will list thire faults. If you sell your swift and buy another make you've no guarantee that it will be fault free.
I own a six year old Swift Challenger, best van I've had, 40 years plus towing most makes. Van due for its service July 4th. Only thing I've had wrong was the dreaded cracked rear panel repaired four years ago, under guarantee, by the dealer who is, normally responsible for any repairs needed, no problem since. ,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
You posted this same thread on the Swift Forum with 57 replies and counting. I agree a new van should not have the faults you have listed, and you've certainly had a lemon, Swift have stepped up to the plate and offered to virtually recondition your van.
But this is a problem that's blighted all caravan makes, not just Swift, maybe owners from other makes will list thire faults. If you sell your swift and buy another make you've no guarantee that it will be fault free.
I own a six year old Swift Challenger, best van I've had, 40 years plus towing most makes. Van due for its service July 4th. Only thing I've had wrong was the dreaded cracked rear panel repaired four years ago, under guarantee, by the dealer who is, normally responsible for any repairs needed, no problem since. ,

Interesting mine now sports a rather nice 2018 rear panel because of the dreaded cracks appearing. A very tidy job done under warranty and if yours is still okay after four years I can breath easily for a while longer.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Bhoòper, wow what a list, and I thought my Coachman was bad with three minor faults, over the last five years and all to do with Fridge and control panels.
Now my Coachman is out of warranty I can add Cup shelfs for the boss above the bed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Bhooper,

This is a sorry list and I feel for you.

I strongly recommend you look up your statutory rights under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act, which may offer some further solace to your plight.

Under the act the seller is in breach of the act if they sell you goods that are faulty or insufficiently durable for their intend purpose. Even though teh manufacture may be clearly the ones you included teh faults, it is the seller who has passed on faulty goods, and that is in breach of your statutory rights.

The CRA considers issues up to 6 Years(in England and Wales) from the date of purchase.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the prof and you should quote the act to the dealer and point out your contract is with them and not Swift. Given the value of the caravan you may want to take further action and if you are a member of either of the clubs speak to their Legal Help Line, if not check if your house contents insurer or any union has one or try Citizens Advice who have a useful help line.
If you paid any part of the purchase price on a credit card or used HP you also have rights against the finance company which you might want to use.
I am afraid that this is not particularly Swift problem but can happen with any make.

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Bhooper,

This is a sorry list and I feel for you.

I strongly recommend you look up your statutory rights under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act, which may offer some further solace to your plight.

Under the act the seller is in breach of the act if they sell you goods that are faulty or insufficiently durable for their intend purpose. Even though teh manufacture may be clearly the ones you included teh faults, it is the seller who has passed on faulty goods, and that is in breach of your statutory rights.

The CRA considers issues up to 6 Years(in England and Wales) from the date of purchase.

Thanks Prof,

My understanding is the CRA will kick in if repairs undertaken are not of satisfactory quality, e.g. the repair fails.

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
DaveA1 said:

Hi Dave,

Happy for you that your van is of a quality you are happy with.

Re why post here? I would have thought that was obvious.....On a Swift forum I get responses only from Swift owners who have registered. On here I get a more broader response

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Bhooper said:
DaveA1 said:

Hi Dave,

Re why post here? I would have thought that was obvious.....On a Swift forum I get responses only from Swift owners who have registered. On here I get a more broader response

There’s a school of thought that says never buy a new caravan or car. Wait a year or so and all the bugs will have been ironed out. Ours is now nine years old from new and performs consistently well, now I’ve fixed the bugs over the years.
All makes seem to perform poorly from new. See the caravan of the year awards. Nothing much in it other than the common problem of poor QA/QC. :woohoo:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Bhooper said:
DaveA1 said:

Hi Dave,

There’s a school of thought that says never buy a new caravan or car. Wait a year or so and all the bugs will have been ironed out. Ours is now nine years old from new and performs consistently well, now I’ve fixed the bugs over the years.
All makes seem to perform poorly from new. See the caravan of the year awards. Nothing much in it other than the common problem of poor QA/QC. :woohoo:

I’d agree with your thoughts about buying new and would agree that it’s quite relevant to cars. But often there seems to be no correlation with caravans. Cars are mostly made on automated lines whereas caravans still rely heavily on manual input. So you can get quality drop offs almost at any times in a caravan models life. Also cars because of the production and sales can start to show weaknesses quite quickly. Caravans sell in lower numbers so some design or production problems take longer to appear and be recognised publically. Caravan makers rarely operate anything like an effective recall sytem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bhooper said:
Thanks Prof,

My understanding is the CRA will kick in if repairs undertaken are not of satisfactory quality, e.g. the repair fails.

Whilst that is possible, it's not all the act does. It actually "kicks in" as soon as you agree to make a purchase, and supports your statutory rights.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
... But often there seems to be no correlation with caravans. Cars are mostly made on automated lines whereas caravans still rely heavily on manual input. So you can get quality drop offs almost at any times in a caravan models life.

Just because a product is assembled by hand rather than by robots, does not excuse poor workmanship. A product that has been properly designed for manual assembly should be just as reliable as automated assembly. In theory, skilled production operatives, might spot imperfections the automated systems can't. Areas where imperfections might arise should be subject to closer inspection, and a redesign to remove the possibility of error.

otherclive said:
Caravan makers rarely operate anything like an effective recall sytem.

Totally agree

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts