swift. ace award firestar -odd mark within front centre window.

May 18, 2008
Visit site
please can anyone advise. I have a new ace award firestar that we have used very little since we took delivery in feb this year.we have noticed that an odd mark within the window is becoming more vivid,dead centre, of the main front window.it looks a bit like a kid would draw a seagull in flight.a bit like a V.it is on the inside area of both the inner and outer panels,about 10 inches across, and its identical...just as if you`ve held a transfer between your palms. i do intend to show the supplying dealer, but its a bit of a trip from our storage.so any info beforehand would be helpfull...many thanks..nigel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel

This is a problem that Swift and the window manufacturer are aware of, we are having the centre window replaced on our Abbey next month at its first service. Speak to your dealer and if you get no joy speak to Kath Powell at Swift.

May 18, 2008
Visit site
Richard.

Many thanks for your quick reply.I will do as you advised.Mystery solved.

Just a bit of an after-thought do you know if will they re-etch your window with the security numbers?

nigel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To be honest I had not thought about the security number on the window, I will have to check it out with the dealer.

It does not suprise me Anthony has the same problem on his Senator as Swift and Bailey use the same window manufacturer.

Jun 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we have an Abbey Specrum 535 we bought last December, and in May of this year we noticed the mark in the front window and our dealer replaced it (they do etch the security mark to the window),everything seamed fine !!!! then while away in August we became aware the same thing had happened again ,we contacted our dealer and they told us that it was a problem they were talking to Swift about ,they would change the window again but could I live with it for the time being till they resolved the problem and are able to fit a new window that wont go wrong again,I wait in anticipation ,perhaps Swift could comment on this problem on this forum

Baza

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel,

We had our front window on a 2008 Challenger replaced earlier this year - it developed lots of "small mottles" (best way of putting it!) on the inner and outer pieces; when it was done, the dealer added the CRIS ID as well.

Bad news is, the new window has developed the same problem!!!

Good news is, it gets swapped for a 2009 Eccles in November!

Good luck with your repair - keep an eye on it.

Neal

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Nigel

The issue of the marks inside the window is a warranty issue and will be changed by your dealer.

The supplier is aware of this issue and are currently doing trials on product to test out a new window.

Some dealers are holding back on changing windows awaiting the success of a new window which will not have this problem.

This issue is not unique to Swift product.

Regards

Kath

May 18, 2008
Visit site
Dear kath at swift & all others.

Many thanks to everyone regarding the window problem.I spoke to my local dealer this morning.I was informed that a warranty claim will be noted, but i was advised that the window will not be exchanged until the fault has been sorted with the supplier.Appears that Swift and the supplier want all future windows to be defect free.Thats fine with me,so its just a matter of waiting.

Dear Kath.This appears to be similar to the info you have kindly provided,so its ongoing, till i`m contacted by dealer.

Many thanks to all.I will keep you informed of developments.

nigel.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Playing Devils Advocate , What is it that POLYPLASTIC have done wrong.WHY the failure??

The last time we had issues with them they slammed the door in our faces.

Let's hope that Swift, Bailey and other caravan manufacturers pile on the pressure for a swift resolution (sic). Before christmas please!!

Cheers

Alan

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for reminding me, I did say I would let you all know.

Polyplastic have increased the depth of the cavity by a minimum of 6mm. Visually, the windows do not look to have changed, but their tests showed that this extra 6mm is sufficient to cope with the normal deflection of the outer sheet at speeds above 60 MPH and to stop it touching/marking the inner sheet.

The new windows are now being supplied to all manufacturers. I can confirm that this is a cosmetic issue and the windows will not crack.

This is a warranty issue and the dealers are aware of it. If anyone is booking in for a service, if you tell your dealer beforehand they can order the windows upfront so that it can all be done at the same time.

Regards

Kath

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kath

Thanks for the update.

As this issue has only just been resolved by Polyplastic what happens to those of us whose windows "fail" outside of our normal warranty period?

I am sure you and Bailey and other manufacturers will have to agree this is an inherent latent defect that may not manifest itself for some time or if at all?

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan,

If this is a manufacturing or design fault, which it sound as though Swift are implying, then the 'warranty' period is not defined under the sale of goods act.

In essence such a defect was present at the time of sale and thus there should be no problem about getting defective units changed for up to about 6 years. Though the longer the defect takes to be come apparent may reduce the compensation you are entitled to as you have had some unaffected use of the item.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John

Thanks.

I have in mind the situation that today most manufacturers and dealers know there is an actual or implied latent defect with these windows. Some may never fail, others will fail during a warranty period whilst other will fail outside any warranties guarantees etc.

I take your point with SOGA. I wonder who is liable when a dealer sells a caravan from today but fails to inform the purchaser of the latent defect that may fail at a later date.

Would you suggested 6 year limitation still apply??

Seems a bit of a minefield.

In reality do you think this warrants a "product recall" now and full replacement of these defective windows at Polyplastics expense?

Cheers

Alan

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

I took my van for it's first service and on returning noticed I had the same problem. We Have a sprite Alpine 4 and the Windows is a one piece unit. I Have asked my dealer to register the issue but would like to know if swift are covering this past the initial 1 years warrenty on the windows. Over to you Swift and thanks in advance.

Thanks

Curtis

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Alan

Just to confirm that I am not recommending a recall to be carried out by the supplier. The reasons for this is that it is not safety critical, it does not cause any consequential damage and it is purely cosmetic.

If the marking occurs it does appear very quickly in use.

Regards

Kath

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kath

Many thanks for that. I understand your point on the safety aspect being irrelevant here.

I assume other manufacturers will take the same stance although that is for them to comment not you of course.

Nevertheless I think it is important that us buyers have to accept all our caravans of whatever make, with these polyplastic windows, may have a latent defect or inherent fault which could "fail" outside our usual warranty period.

Maybe it would not be unreasonable for Swift, Bailey et al to extend the warranty on these particular windows for a six year period from new, all at Polyplastic's expense???

However I think we will all be interested to know what will happen to Curtis, see last post?

At least thanks to your input Kath we do understand what has happened and that a resolution has been found.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Two points strike me, first, 'wind speeds above 60mph, in general then the problem of wind hitting at that speed will be rare rather than common.

Of course though a head wind of 30mph and the van travelling into it at 31mph also adds up to above 60mph, not sure if the effect will be the same though?

So the other point is what's in front, the air leaving the towing vehicle will affect how air hits the van, this I think explains why some are being damaged and others probably never be

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well done Kath

Reassurinng to know Swift have in fact extended the window warranty for this problem to the 3 years.

Now what will the rest of you manufacturers do??

In regard to Gary's point I have to agree many of us will never see this problem. I for one rarely exceed 60mh and with a large , high , tow car the windows are fairly well protected from the wind.

Cheers

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts