Swift caravans 2004

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Has anybody else noticed that the front three windows on the 2004 models leak when left on vent in the rain. I am looking to find out if this is a one off problem or a general design fault on all 2004 Swifts. I have a Challenger 490L which has also been back to the dealer for 5 weeks having a long list of minor defects put right due to poor build quality from Swift, is this the same for other Swift owners?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, had a new Bessacarr (Swift) delivered in July. Haven't had the window problems but had loads of others. Did a lot myself but only just started to see an interest from the dealer to get things sorted. Quality control at the factory must be non-existant and Customer Care is a joke.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This has more to do with common sense than build quality.Because the front slopes so steeply water is bound to run in on vent position.Just leave them closed when it rains and vent through the side windows

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, me again. With regard to the answer from John G I assume you mean by "vent position" that the windows are still locked with the catches but in the just open position (about 1/4" open). If this is the case, we do it all the time and have no problems with rain ingress. In my opinion you shouldn't get the problem as the window edges should still overlap the raised rubber seals in the vent position. However, strong winds could cause the rain to blow in.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suppose if someone is having trouble with their caravan there is always the tendancy for others with similar problems to respond, which could be useful in identifying a common problem etc. But to perhaps put the other point of view I am on my third Swift Challenger (latest being a Challenger 530, new in March 2004). Certainly the build quality has improved over the years and I have to date had no problems with the latest Swift. I have had fairly minor problems with the other models but in all cases these were easily fixed by the dealer, in my case Highbridge Caravans who are excellent.

Many of my caravanning friends who own a variety of different makes have had a wide range of problems so I don't think build quality problems are common to Swift or any other particular make.

When you look at caravan construction and quality it is reasonable bearing in mind the relatively low production numbers compared to cars. Also looking at the amount of kit caravans now have it means very lightweight materials have to be used to keep the weight down and this oftens result in poor quality in itself - just look at the softwood used in bed frames etc. for example.

I am not saying everything is perfect with the modern van but they are getting better and yes there will be problems.

My advice would be to always choose the caravan that suits you but to make sure you purchase it from a really good dealer that does proper pre delivery checks and offers a really good after sales service.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a 98 Swift Corniche which we finally gave up on after a factory re-build to cure leaking front windows and rotting sides. We relly liked the Sterling Eccles range but were reluctant to buy another Swift product. However, after obtaining assurances from Swift in 2001 that they had got their act together, we bought an Eccles Moonstone, 2002 model. Apart from initial problems (caused entirely by a totally incompetent dealer) the van has been wonderfull. We have enjoyed 3 extended tours (6 -8 weeks) in France plus many UK trips, with virtually no problems. So I think Swift are probably as good as your going to get, in the UK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts