Swift Challenger 530 & Mondeo 2.0 TDCi

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
I posted this in the 'Towcars' section yesterday but feel this forum is more appropriate. I apologise if I have broken convention by posting in more than one forum .........

I need some re-assurance. I have recently decided to put my 18 year old trailer tent out to rest and 'move up' to a caravan.

I have done all my homework regarding car and 'van weight matching etc and fully understand weight limits/guidelines/rules etc including legal requirements and car towing limits, especially the 85% of car kerbweight rule/guideline for newbies like me (not a legal requirement I know).

Last September (2008), I attended a Camping & Caravan Club manoeuvring course which included, on top of the practical side of things, all the legal stuff and advice re towing caravans.

In anticipation of my impending caravan purchase, I recently swapped my 2003 1.8 Mondeo Petrol (c1370 kg kerbweight & 125 hp) for a Sept 2008 2.0 TDCI Mondeo Zetec Diesel (1559 kg kerbweight & 145 bhp), partly on the strength of very encouraging reports about this car's towing capabilities. The car's max towing limit is 1800kg and Gross Train Weight about 3700kg if I remember correctly.

About 4 weeks ago, I found the caravan of my choice (my wife fell in love with it right away), paid a deposit and am now waiting to collect the van on 29th May.

The van is a Swift Challenger 530, 2005 Model: MIRO 1209kg and MTPLM 1425kg.

Now clearly, all my homework and studying haven't sunk in because it doesn't take a mathematical genius to work out that if I load the 'van to its MTPLM of 1425kg, then I am towing at 91% of my car's kerbweight.

To stick to the Caravan Club and Camping & Caravan Club, plus numerous other towing organisations' recommendations of not exceeding 85% of the car's kerbweight, I should not load the 'van any higher than 1325kg, a payload of only 116kg!

I am having a motor mover fitted and this, together with gas bottle(s), battery, spare wheel, plus water carriers (even empty) and other basic sundries I imagine will easily take up most of this 116kg leaving no room for further stowage in the van.

I am now extremely worried that I have purchased a van that is too heavy for my car, even if I do try to load it conservatively to keep within the 85% 'rule'. I have read messages in these forums re towing vans not suited to the car resulting in 'snaking' or worse & I do not wish to experience that if I can help it. My first journey home with the 'van will take me up some busy roads with noticeable gradients and I am worried about that also.

I cannot afford to upgrade my newly purchased car so soon. Have I made a big mistake or am I being over-cautious? Should I cancel my caravan and risk losing my £1000 deposit? (I only have about 10 days left to collect time!!!!)

I'm sure this type of question has been asked many times before in these forums but I am becoming more worried about this as each day passes. Any advice would be most welcome.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Paul

You seem to have done your homework and i think you are ok.Once you have got van loaded go to your nearest weighbridge and check the weight of van and car you may be pleasently suprised.Dont know how many in your family but you can always use the car for for some of the heavier items but of course dont overload.When we had our 4x4 i know alot of diference we used to put gas bottles,awning,cool boxes,wheel clamps,aqua rolls,chairs,ground sheet all in the back of the car but with only 2 of us it was quite easy.

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Billy. I think I'm a natural worrier. There are only 2 of us so I do plan on putting as much in the car as poss without overloading it of course. The bulky, lighter items, sleepings bags/duvets/pillows etc that we usually put in the car can perhaps go in the van.

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Paul

I used to tow a Elddis Sorrocco twin axle of about the same wieght as your van, it was approx 90% with the awning in the van, the Mondeo was one of the best tow cars i have ever had, I now have a Senator Louisiana and tow this with a Volvo XC70 92%, I stow all the heavy stuff such as awning in the car and their is no problem, the car copes wonderfully. In all cases if you drive to the capabilities of your outfit there should be no problems.

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Ian.

Yes, I think I do need a mover. I want to store my caravan at the back of my house and the access is not easy ~ a drive with a bend and slope past the corner of my house only inches to spare. Still don't know if I can get a van past my house yet!! I may be in for an unpleasant surprise. On 'paper' I can just do it!

G

One option would be to get a mover that attaches through the towhitch and therefore is removable. OK, you would need to carry it in the car if you want to use it on sites, but it would allow you to move the van at home without affaecting your payload.

As mentioned by others the 85% rule is a guide, not cast in stone and you can go to 90% without too much worry. Also you will probably find your car is heavier than listed. Even your towbar has added 20 kg or more.

Try your combination on the

whattowcar website and play with the loading weights to see what affect it has, It again is not a golden rule, but at least gives you ideas of what you can, and cannot do.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Billy. I think I'm a natural worrier. There are only 2 of us so I do plan on putting as much in the car as poss without overloading it of course. The bulky, lighter items, sleepings bags/duvets/pillows etc that we usually put in the car can perhaps go in the van.
Paul

If there are only 2 of you then you have got it made as you say bulky items in the van heavy items in the car.Dont know to much about the Mondeo but as some on hear are saying it seems a capable tow car .Put your worries to sleep and go and enjoy yourselves maybe a close trip for the first one not so far to go if you forget something lol.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Paul

If there are only 2 of you then you have got it made as you say bulky items in the van heavy items in the car.Dont know to much about the Mondeo but as some on hear are saying it seems a capable tow car .Put your worries to sleep and go and enjoy yourselves maybe a close trip for the first one not so far to go if you forget something lol.
me again

one more tip dont carry to much food with you its easier to carry money and lighter and so much fun playing hunt the supermarket.

Happy vanning

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
We are towing 1420kg with a 2litre TDCi C-Max, so its got the same engine but its a smaller car max towing weight is 1500kg, towing at 94% (assuming that the car is empty and the van is full - which it isn't)

No problems at all, done at least 5k miles with the combination, get 30mpg towing and the car will easily do 70mph with the van on the back (don't get 30mpg then though). Sits all day at 55-60 with the cruise control in 5th gear, will do it in 6th but you need to be doing 60-65 for the engine to be comfortable and you've got to drop a cog on hills.

Sounds like you've got a good combination.

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Dave. That's the type of answer I've been hoping for. Maybe I should have kept my posting simple and just asked 'Will my Mk4 2.0L TDCi Mondeo (140 bhp)tow a 2005 Swift Challenger 530 (MTPLM 1425kg)?'

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul,

First and foremost don't worry unduly about the 85% it is most definitely only a guideline and not in any sense a rule. As in your case it causes so much worry that you can miss some other important facets of towing which can have as much if not more affect on the towing experience. However it is definitely better to keep the trailer as light as possible compared to the tow vehicle.

The Ford Mondeo has earned its self a enviable reputation as a tow car. And even at an indicated 91% ratio I am sure it will acquit its self very well.

I cannot condone Billy's suggestion of putting the gas bottles in the car, they must only be carried upright in the secured harness provided for them in the caravan locker.

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have now got my van and arrived home safely. I must say though I was not prepared for the way the car felt during towing. I don't know what the van weight is but it was loaded with an awning and poles (over the axle) at 30 kg total, an Aquaroll and Wastemaster (about 15 kg) a gas bottle (10 kg) and I had a Motor Mover fitted (35 kg) and a 110 Amp/hr battery (about 15kg) so I calculate the laden weight at about 1315 kg, (MIRO 1209kg) ie, just under the 85% weight match recommended.

I was surprised at the 'constant' response of the car to the movement of the van. I have previously only towed a trailer tent (500kg) and you wouldn't have known it was on the car except for occasional acceleration and braking manouevres.

I measured the nose weight of the van a day or two later, similarly loaded to my journey home from the caravan dealer and it was about 65kg, about 20-25kg short of the recommended value. I don't know if this would be too noticeable regarding stability.

I have been told by friends however that unlike towing a lighter trailer tent, you are always aware of the van on the back of the car whilst towing and that it is something one gets used to.

I am not convinced that I am going to enjoy towing a caravan at all now and I am as nervous as I ever was.

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have now got my van and arrived home safely. I must say though I was not prepared for the way the car felt during towing. I don't know what the van weight is but it was loaded with an awning and poles (over the axle) at 30 kg total, an Aquaroll and Wastemaster (about 15 kg) a gas bottle (10 kg) and I had a Motor Mover fitted (35 kg) and a 110 Amp/hr battery (about 15kg) so I calculate the laden weight at about 1315 kg, (MIRO 1209kg) ie, just under the 85% weight match recommended.

I was surprised at the 'constant' response of the car to the movement of the van. I have previously only towed a trailer tent (500kg) and you wouldn't have known it was on the car except for occasional acceleration and braking manouevres.

I measured the nose weight of the van a day or two later, similarly loaded to my journey home from the caravan dealer and it was about 65kg, about 20-25kg short of the recommended value. I don't know if this would be too noticeable regarding stability.

I have been told by friends however that unlike towing a lighter trailer tent, you are always aware of the van on the back of the car whilst towing and that it is something one gets used to.

I am not convinced that I am going to enjoy towing a caravan at all now and I am as nervous as I ever was.
Paul,

I think you will find that a 110 amp battery will weigh 27/30 kg.

Jim

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Paul

I have towed many years with a 65kg nose weight, when i towed with normal road cars, carina primera, cavalier.

All these cars had a max nose weight of 75kg. If i increased the nose weight, the cars balance would be affected.

So what i am trying to say is experiment with nose weights up to your maximum, and find the balance that suits you. Also the load distribution in the van.

Could be that some suspension aid may be required, i always fitted the rubber doenut type, but i don't know if these are still sold.

i am always aware of the van on the back, even with the xtrail.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, I have been towing caravans for the past 9 years, I am always aware that the van is there and you will get used to it. As others have said play around with the loading, there is a post I placed back in March re stability on my new outfit where I was concerned about how much I was being affected just by cars passing me, turns out I had noseweight too low, running at 65 rather than the 75 my car would allow. Done 3 more trips since and what a difference 10kgs makes, now have a very stable outfit, but I still know it's there.

Ian

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
I tow a Bailey Ranger 550/6 with my Mondoe estate diesel, and I have now towed over 10,000 miles with this outfit.

I do know the van is on the back of the car, depending on the condition of the road surface. In the UK the roads are crap, in France on the toll roads it doesn't feel like I have a caravan behind me anymore. I've found having the noseweight light ( < 75Kg) does affect stability, and any swaying induced usally quickly subsides with the Alko stabiliser.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts