Swift Challenger 580se tow car recommendations please

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I'm hoping to purchase a Swift Challenger 580se caravan with the fixed island bed and wondered if anyone on here also has one and which car they use to tow it.
Currently looking at a Volvo XC90 and Land Rover Freelanders, circa 2010-2015. I like the Jaguar XF from same vintage but I think the kerb weight is not sufficient enough to tow aforementioned caravan. Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I'm hoping to purchase a Swift Challenger 580se caravan with the fixed island bed and wondered if anyone on here also has one and which car they use to tow it.
Currently looking at a Volvo XC90 and Land Rover Freelanders, circa 2010-2015. I like the Jaguar XF from same vintage but I think the kerb weight is not sufficient enough to tow aforementioned caravan. Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks.
What’s the caravans MTPLM?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The XF won Practical Caravan Towcar of the Year award. The Sportbrake could be an option with a kerbweight MTPLM ratio of 92%. Not unreasonable given the car’s characteristics. FL2 is a similar kerbweight too.

Reactions: Hoffers
Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
The XF won Practical Caravan Towcar of the Year award. The Sportbrake could be an option with a kerbweight MTPLM ratio of 92%. Not unreasonable given the car’s characteristics. FL2 is a similar kerbweight too.
It only has a towball limit of 75kg so is that an issue?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It only has a towball limit of 75kg so is that an issue?
It’s 4.5% of MTPLM so above the minimum requirement. Other things have an impact on caravan stability, but if you are concerned, and there will be views expressed that it’s too low then best to look for a car with a higher noseweight. Wonder if a Jaguar owners forum has any members who could advise if the tow a caravan with an XF.

Santa Fe has a very good following, as does Kia Sorento.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts