Swift Challenger Sport 514

May 12, 2019
Visit site
We are thinking of buying a 2014/2015 Swift Challenger Sport 514
Went to see one at a dealer yesterday and apparently they don't warranty the Motor Mover. And they dont have any service documents for it or original information about number of owners.
A friend who is a Caravanner suggested that I buy privately as the chances are that the owner will have more documentation, although obviously I would not get a warranty.
So if anyone can recommend one of these or knows of one for sale please let me know.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I would not worry about the mover, if it works it works. Might go on for years but might fail tomorrow. But would not be too expensive to fix. Unless you get a top deal privately and have the van independently checked. I suggest you buy through a decent dealer with a written warrantee particularly regarding damp.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My caravan not new but i brought it private it was a one owner from new she had all paperwork/damp and service book stamped up i was very happy with my purchase if you after one of these keep and eye on Preloved or Gumtree .

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are thinking of buying a 2014/2015 Swift Challenger Sport 514
Went to see one at a dealer yesterday and apparently they don't warranty the Motor Mover. And they dont have any service documents for it or original information about number of owners.
A friend who is a Caravanner suggested that I buy privately as the chances are that the owner will have more documentation, although obviously I would not get a warranty.
So if anyone can recommend one of these or knows of one for sale please let me know.
If you are a first time buyer then it is preferable to use a dealer as you then have the protection of CRFA 2015. If buying private check service history.
In the past numerous people have been on this forum having purchased a dud privately although this does not mean that all private sales are awful. It is only a minority.
As for motor mover it would probably have been registered so phone the manufacturer to ask them how old it is. If it is over 5 years you cannot transfer any outstanding warranty anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The fact that you have asked for advice suggests to me that you are not comfortable with the caravan on offer at the dealers. My advice would be to walk away from it and keep looking, when you get a van you will probably keep it for a few years, so spend your time now looking for another one that does have a service history, number of owners etc.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I know motor movers do sometimes break but we have been using three different ones over probably last eighteen years and never had one fail. If everything else is right then I would not let the lack of a guarantee put me off. Assuming it was fitted when the caravan was new t would be out of the makers warranty now and the dealer could normally give you no more than 12 months r possibly even six anyway.
If buying from a dealer I would get them to demonstrate that it works though, but whatever they say about a warranty, the sale is actually subject to the CPA, which means they would have to deal with any faults or give you your money back in the short term if it broke. This is vital protection you get buying from a dealer that you would not get with a private sale. Private sales are very dodgy if things go wrong.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The motor mover was likely fitted when the caravan was new, so about 8 years ago - it probably had a 5-year warranty which has now expired just as the original caravan warranty will have expired as well so I don't see the difference.

As Raywood points out, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 means the dealer can't exclude the motor mover but an 8-year old caravan with mover can't be expected top perform like a new one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts