Swift Elegance 645 - usb connection failure

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi
The usb charger connection on our 2015 model Swift Elegance 645 appears to have failed
I have been unable to work out which fuse it would be to check if that is the problem

Any help gladly received
Thanks
Norman

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
It's probably wired into the lighting circuit rather than having its very own. But that is a guess, so check if there is 12v to the back of USB socket.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
It's part of the 12v (not 230v) system, so it's a simple matter to check of there is current to the back of the socket with a multi meter. It's no different to checking if there is power to a tail light on your car, would you pay a garage to check that? .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It's part of the 12v (not 230v) system, so it's a simple matter to check of there is current to the back of the socket with a multi meter. It's no different to checking if there is power to a tail light on your car, would you pay a garage to check that? .
We have to be very careful here . Sadly there are many seasoned caravanners who have absolutely no idea how things work. Same with cars. Today you almost need a degree in microelectronics to change a speedo bulb( not bulbs anymore).
People like you and me know the answers and are cautiously careful and competent. Others like BB , who is disabled , don’t know and can’t take the chance of fiddling with things they don’t know. So I have to endorse his suggestion . However if you and I find out how competent the OP ,is we can give him a steer. It’s never straight forward.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
People do see things so so differently. My next-door neighbour, an elderly lady who lives on her own, had trouble with her old outside tap. I offered to fix it for her. I took the old one out and terminated the supply under the sink with a good quality, lever-operated, ball-fix valve, to make it easy in the future to isolate for the winter. Things were icy then so I offered to finish the job in the spring which I did last week. She now has a brand new outside tap.

As I worked under the sink I disturbed the mess of waste pipes that services the twin bowl sink. It then leaked a small amount. She told me the next day and said she had not had a shower, just in case! I said not to worry, I would fix it.

My services are free by the way.

The old waste was a complete bodge-up, so I tried to pursued her to let me replace it with new. I could have given her half the cupboard space back.

Even when she saw the state of the seals and the gunge inside the pipes she did not go along with it. It would not have been expensive, she can certainly afford it, labour and parts collection, all foc.

So I cleaned it all up and rebuilt the bodge. while I am doing so, she kept telling me there were holes in the pipes! in the end, I took a fitting to her and asked where the hole was. She pointed to the inside of the pipe. I told her that that was where the wastewater flows!!

Later, when both waste and mains water were working perfectly, she said it was still leaking.

I tested and all was OK. I asked her to show me. She connected the hose and the gun attachment was split.

But she is a lovely lady.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After we moved into this hosue in 2019 I need to access a cistern in the en suite and required to turn the water off. Asper the norm the cheap little isolating valve with a flat head screwdriver slot was seized solid. So I went downstairs and turned off the mains isolating tap. After running the water in the en suite it would not stop and just kept flowing. I thought it might be draining large loft tank, which would be unusual as I was certain that tank fed the showers with water via the hot water cylinder. Eventually I had to go into the road to turn off there, and completed the job in hand. So when we had all of the rads renewed I asked the heating engineer to install two lever shut off valves into the lines into the loft.

So when we had a new kitchen installed all was revealed. The mains inlet stop valve was not the first fitting in the domestic supply line. It came after the dish washer, sink and garage and domestic H&C supplies. All it effectively isolated was the washing machine and dishwasher. Some one sometime had installed it totally incorrectly but it was impossible to see due to the old kitchens back boards in the units. So our routine of turning off the mains inlet when away would have been an absolute waste of time. Suffice to say it's where it should be now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fully endorse Dusty's last comment.

There are people who either by circumstance or choice, either can't or don't want to dabble with things. It's not up to us to criticize those circumstances or choices.

Reactions: Parksy and Dustydog
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Going back to the OP question, in my experience the USB sockets rarely fail, I have found the cables used to connect to them often fail, so in the first instance I would try another cable.
I agree, being one of the Internal IT guys for our company I had a recent "issue" with a user complaining that the USB port was not working on his laptop as his iPhone would not charge. He had tried with 3 cables but not working so it MUST be the port!
I plugged in a new cable and it works!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree more often than not its the cables that fail, though just last night I plugged my android pad in to charge, only to find this morning it hasn't, and it definitely is the micro USb port that's loosing contact with the PCB, I will have to try and open it to see if its a solder connection or worse.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I agree more often than not its the cables that fail, though just last night I plugged my android pad in to charge, only to find this morning it hasn't, and it definitely is the micro USb port that's loosing contact with the PCB, I will have to try and open it to see if its a solder connection or worse.
You probably know this, but check the port with a magnifying glass to make sure that non of the pins are bent which can cause a short or bad connection.
As for the port, i'm pretty sure it will be soldered but its all surface mount stuff so can be tricky to re-flow the solder with the pads being so close together. Google "drag soldering technique " to see what you are up against.
Not my favorite thing to do but it is possible with patience
Good luck

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I hD problems with my iPad last year. No cable would charge it. A visit to an Apple shop and it was back working in minutes. The charging port was gummed up fluff /dirt. He cleaned it, pressurised air in can. All good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts