Swift kitchen sink pipe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

Have just returned from a fabulous short break at Hunters Moon, trying out our Swift Challenger (2006 model) for the first time. Traded in our Lunar for this van and we loved the break, van was everything that we hoped for and more!! Just one glitch, has anybody experienced the same problem that we had under the kitchen sink? It seems that if you push the cutlery drawer back too far, it dislodges the waste pipe under the sink causing a major leakage. Fortunately the cutlery drawer managed to catch all the waste water! It would seem that the previous owner was aware of the problem and had put a small stopper under the sink but this had become misplaced. The waste pipe is just a slot in type making it easy to come away from the drainage pipe. Has anybody been aware of this and if so, do you have any tips for a more permanent fix? Also, are Swift/Abbey aware? I may get round to calling them about this, but then I am prone to just not doing anything sometimes!!
Simon V

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The same thing happened to my Abbey , the cutlery drawer would push the waste pipe off and you are right, itis just a push fit.
I solved mine by cutting a semi circular cutout in the backof the cutlery tray and using some Bostick General Purpose glue on the pipe and sleeve.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi weve got a sterling europa and the same thing happened to us, our problem was the waste pipe was cut short and dropped diagonally past the back of the draw.
I went to a plumbing supplier and got a new length of pipe fitted it and attached with U clips.
No problems since.

If your practically minded you can get around it, Swift are aware as its been mentioned on there web site.
If the van is under warranty you can get the dealer to fix it, but it wil probably cost you more towing it there and the hasstles than right or wrongly fixing it yourself.

Cheers
John

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Nick. think you are being a little unfair with your comment regarding Swift acknowledging the problem. your query got answered fully, maybe not to your satifaction, but it got answered.
and at least Swift do have the balls to have a web site, unlike other manufacturers

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
TonyG said:
Nick. think you are being a little unfair with your comment regarding Swift acknowledging the problem. your query got answered fully, maybe not to your satisfaction, but it got answered.
They answered insofar as telling me that PVC glue would stick it back together but they certainly didn't acknowledge that there was a manufacturing or QA problem that I & many many others suffered from.
and at least Swift do have the balls to have a web site, unlike other manufacturers
They are to be congratulated for that but it is becoming very noticeable that they never acknowledge what is obviously (to me anyway) a manufacturing issue in many of the threads there, Spare Wheel Carriers, Awning rail, door locks, TV cupboards, leaking lockers etc.

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Nick, hear what you say and tend to agree. but haven't you just set up a group for swift owners aboard, that has five members and three of them live in the UK, and one of them has never traveled out of England. so you must value the site??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks to replies. I was thinking of perhaps using a little glue but then wondered if it would be a good idea in case there was a blockage in the pipework? Does anyone know if the pipes were originally glued at all? I'm erring on the side of using a mild glue as used by Damion.
Thanks to all
Simon V

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
TonyG said:
but haven't you just set up a group for swift owners aboard, that has five members and three of them live in the UK, and one of them has never traveled out of England. so you must value the site??
I don't really see how that affects my comments, yes, the site has a value but it will start to loose it if Swift don't respond to awkward questions or keep denying there are problems.

Aug 3, 2007
Visit site
Nick,

Where a fault exists, we acknowledge the fault. Some of the issues you have mentioned (TV catches, awning rails, etc.) have been openly discussed, investigated and solution (both for customers and production) put in place. Rather than hiding behind closed doors, answering direct e-mails only, we created our own forum where customers can openly tell us their issues and we can try to help almost 24/7.

You asked very specific questions in your post (“Would it be possible to glue the pipes & if so, what is the best solvent ?”) and I feel we responded to that question. I’m sorry you feel that we have not “admitted” to fault, while we are not perfect and do make mistakes, we will always “own up” if there is cause to do so. I am not aware of us not responding to a single thread where a member has asked for our help, awkward or not.

As for the future of the forum, we will continue to support, moderate and run the site for as long as our members want us too.

Ash

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
SwiftGroup said:
Where a fault exists, we acknowledge the fault. Some of the issues you have mentioned (TV catches, awning rails, etc.) have been openly discussed, investigated and solution (both for customers and production) put in place.
Ash, Thanks for replying, as I said, Swift are to be congratulated in setting up the forum, you must have know that 90% of the postings would be complaints before it went on-line, so it was a very brave decision but my point still stands, nowhere on this particular issue & any others that I have seen, have Swift said that there is/was a design, manufacturing or process problem & that it is being looked into or has been resolved.
You asked very specific questions in your post (“Would it be possible to glue the pipes & if so, what is the best solvent ?”) and I feel we responded to that question.
Agreed, when I posted the question I thought it was just me being heavy handed but the resultant discussion showed there was more of a general problem & as I said, that was never acknowledged.
I am not aware of us not responding to a single thread where a member has asked for our help, awkward or not.
A couple of months ago I asked a question on how to stow the tables in my caravan & no answer as yet
smiley-frown.gif

Also, I am waiting for an answer from Andy regarding a couple of questions I posed about the spare wheel carrier.

Again, thanks for coming over to the 'Dark Side' to reply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts