Swift recall due to screw problems in the front lockers.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
I had the bulkhead separation 2 years ago ,and just out of warranty and thinking it was a one off I decided to repair it myself.I jacked up the van, it’s a 2015 Sterling Eccles Sport 584,and had to remove a heavily mastic covered panel to access the screws and the alloy angle,I noticed on my mates 2018 Swift Challenger it doesn’t have these panels so you can access the screws easily. However, on my van the screws had all broken and left large holes.After new holes and screws it failed again,so I turned to large rivets and up to now they seem to be working.Having not checked the offside I ripped the stuck panel off today and well you’ve guessed it the screws were either slack or broken,so it seems it is not only a 2017 problem on recall but going further back.

May 19, 2021
Visit site
Hi has anyone had the issues resolved and what did swift actually do to repair it. My van (2017 Sprite Major 6 td) has sat on my drive since March 2020 awaiting a swift engineer. I'm in Ireland. They are telling me now that they won't be sending and engineer from the UK and have asked cookstown caravans in Northern Ireland to check and repair. I spoke to cookstown caravan and they have said that they are not will to take on the work. So now I'm in limbo with a caravan I paid £20000 for that I haven't been able to use since summer 2019. I have tried replacing screws, even used stitching screws and they've all come loose after only test towing it 10 miles.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Did you purchase new in NI or Eire?
The Consumer Rights Act 2015 covers the U.K. , including NI.
Two years on ,unresolved , is unacceptable. Swift publicly admit there is a problem. If they have chosen to sell their products via dealers in NI then I see no legal reason why they should not , at their own expense repatriate, repair and redeliver the caravan back to your home. Who have you spoken to or written to at Swift.
I can understand the Dealer being unable to deal with the rebuild. Maybe one of the other NI Swift dealers can help. This is something Swift need to pressed hard on!

May 19, 2021
Visit site
Did you purchase new in NI or Eire?
The Consumer Rights Act 2015 covers the U.K. , including NI.
Two years on ,unresolved , is unacceptable. Swift publicly admit there is a problem. If they have chosen to sell their products via dealers in NI then I see no legal reason why they should not , at their own expense repatriate, repair and redeliver the caravan back to your home. Who have you spoken to or written to at Swift.
I can understand the Dealer being unable to deal with the rebuild. Maybe one of the other NI Swift dealers can help. This is something Swift need to pressed hard on!
I bought in the UK, the caravan was a year old at the time. They've been promising that an engineer would be coming from the UK to assess and possiblily repair on site(I've had 7 different dates for engineer visits but the always cancelled a few days beforehand)
They are now saying that they can't send an engineer from the UK due to travel restrictions which I think is bull, as far as I'm aware it is possible to travel for work.
They said the only dealer qualified to do it is cookstown caravans. But that cookstown are reluctant to take on the work as they're are a lot of caravans in Ireland involved

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi has anyone had the issues resolved and what did swift actually do to repair it. My van (2017 Sprite Major 6 td) has sat on my drive since March 2020 awaiting a swift engineer. I'm in Ireland. They are telling me now that they won't be sending and engineer from the UK and have asked cookstown caravans in Northern Ireland to check and repair. I spoke to cookstown caravan and they have said that they are not will to take on the work. So now I'm in limbo with a caravan I paid £20000 for that I haven't been able to use since summer 2019. I have tried replacing screws, even used stitching screws and they've all come loose after only test towing it 10 miles.
As Dusty has mentioned, you are still covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as it is an inherent fault and the responsibility of the supplier or selling dealership to rectify at their cost.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Sbehan,

NI is a major part of the U.K.,
I agree with Buckman. Thinking aloud as you purchased from a U.K. dealer you should also tell them they are not off the hook. They sold you a caravan with an inherent defect which I believe makes them liable to refund or repair. At the very least they should intervene and start kicking Swift for action. Do you have a Legal Expenses section on your caravan insurance policy? If so ask them to take up the banner on your behalf. I am sure you will soon see more advice from others on here soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts