t-cut for window scratches?

May 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I have heard that you can use t-cut to remove small scratches from acrylic windows. Does anyone have any advice or experience of this? Any information would be great

Thank you

Hamish

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
just bought some stuff from halfords yesterday.

Fendwicks superior windowize

Says on bottle - "sratch remover for plastic/acrylic windows"

will let you know how we get on with it

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The old trick with plastic windows in convertable cars was to use very sparingly a drop of Brasso. It used to work wonders in those days but have not tried it recently. Also was good for getting the chrome work bright and shining although it did require chrome polish afterwards.

May 27, 2006
Visit site
T cut and Brasso do the same job as eachother but Brasso is a 'milder' version.

T cut could be termed coarse sand paper whilst Brasso is fine finishing sand paper.

Use Brasso to finish off for an extra fine finish but start off with T cut to get the worst of the scratch out.

Remember tho that both 'thin' the plastic down a minute bit everytime they are used

May 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Everyone for your advice. Sorry for being so long in replying, caravan in storage on other side of the country! Have used the Fenwicks windowize - excellent results -

Thank you again everyone

Hamish C

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
T-cut and Brasso are good for small scratches. Be careful not to put too much on because they contain petroleum distillates that may damage your windows... try a small area on a small window first for compatibility

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
T-cut, Brasso and toothpaste all work well for these purposes, I have used them all for motorcycle helmet visors and fairing windscreens as well as wristwatch faces (a good test if you are not sure!).

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
The secret with these jobs is not to work with just one product, but to use them in succession. So, kick off with something like T cut, then Brasso wadding, then Mer car polish to finish off. The first 2 will leave some fine marks which the Mer removes for the purposes of caravan windows. Car buffs may go for Meguires waxes which really do remove all fine swirl marks from other polishing.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
The wife decided to clean the windows this weekend and managed to pick up some dirt which put lots of small scratces all over some of the windows.

As polish had been mentioned on this thread and I happened to have some conventional car polish (Autoglym) in the car I thought I would give it a go before trying anything more aggressive.

The results were superb you can not see any of the scratches at all (and I mean 100% invisible) - even a fairsize graize from a branch on the nearside.

When it rained the rain fell off leaving a clear screen with no misting.

I am really impressed - try polish before using any cutting agents like t-cut, brasso, toothpaste etc. I think they would only be required for fairly deep scrathes not surface.

Next time we go away I am going to do the rest of the windows even though they are not scratched, just for its effect in rain etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like you Garry I to have used car polish before with superb results, although I did worry about the long term effect upon the polyplastic. I am going to give Mer a try at the start of the new season (March). Will post any results when tried.

Cheers

John

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
As mentioned earlier in the thread, John, I`ve used `mer` for years and its always produced excellent results.

Also, no long-term effects on the plastic either.

Dec 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi all. im new here as for t.cut. great on windows gets all marks off. as for mer very hard to get off and does not last that long found best thing for me seems to be turtle wax in the tin great shine my van looks like new and its 11 years old

regards paul

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
This is for John and Angus. There is a distinction to be made between polishes and waxes. The former do contain abrasives, and some such as Mer leave an annoying white residue, which tends to cling due to static build up through the buffing action on the plastic window. If the window is uncratched, it would be better to use a wax.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have found Meguires waxes to be very effective in removing even the very fine swirl marks that polishes such as Mer leave, and which are particularly noticeable on dark colours. There is even a 3 stage/product process to achieve the best finish you could wish for - but its a bit OTT for caravan windows...

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Chris, but I only use `mer` on scratched window surfaces, otherwise rely on my cleaner (purchased from `Costco` at a ludicrously cheap price and fully bi-degradable) and a quality chamois leather.

Most polishes for automotive use are abrasive, and as suggested should be used with care.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts