Take a long hard look at this!!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
This was a real test conducted by us yesterday to see just how much anyone would care if our caravan was being nicked.

The perpetrator of the "crime" had only ever visited once before so it was unlikely she would of been recognised and would be classed as a stranger in the camp.

steve in Leo security check.

14 Oct 2006 08:22 AM

Today my sister-in-law is going to use a SDS drill to knock down our front garden wall to take her fathers caravan to her house while we are away.

I wonder how long it will be before someone calls the cops?

1 hour, 2 hours or never!!

I'll update you tomorrow.

Steve L.

steve in Leo

15 Oct 2006 08:35 AM Well as promised here's the answer.

No police, no nosy neighbour, not even next doors dog barking could stir a care in the world.

Even driving off towing the van over the flower bed didn't raise an eye brow.

Even having a tow car with the wrong number plate to the van did nothing to raise a concern.

Now just think of this . If a stranger rattling away with a battery powered SDS drill and chisel for two hours and doing all that work, then the average thief who will do the job in under 15 minuits ain't got a lot to worry about has he??!!

Steve L.

P.S. No wonder we take the law into our own hands when a thief strikes. You ain't gonna see a copper are you??

YOUR THOUGHT FOLKS!!

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Whatever happened to good neighbours? I always mention to mine that the Caravan does not leave the drive unless I am with it.we have a very good neighbourhood watch in out cul-de-sac. so I am hoping my neighbours are all nosey, cause I am, if I see a strange car or person in the cul-de-sac, I want to know what and where they are going,once I see it is a genuine visitor, well then it becomes none of my Business.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
somebody i think must have recognised her.

as for the wrong number plate,well,any amount of vehicles carry a different number plate on the towed trailer,wagons,trailers caravans etc,why they don't get stopped is beyond me,maybe its to much work for people to report or the POLICE to stop,what would you do???? ALL OF US AT SOME TIME MUST HAVE SEEN A NUMBER PLATE DIFFERENT TO THE TOWING VEHICLE???

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
somebody i think must have recognised her.

as for the wrong number plate,well,any amount of vehicles carry a different number plate on the towed trailer,wagons,trailers caravans etc,why they don't get stopped is beyond me,maybe its to much work for people to report or the POLICE to stop,what would you do???? ALL OF US AT SOME TIME MUST HAVE SEEN A NUMBER PLATE DIFFERENT TO THE TOWING VEHICLE???
who cares any more...look after no 1

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Steve in Leo, you never struck me as being anything but sensible but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You knocked down a wall and drove over your garden just to see if anybody noticed.Uh ?

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Nop I didn't my sister-in-law did cos I had taken the security keys with me by mistake when we went off for the weekend.

We thought she was taking a big risk knocking the wall down which did need re-building anyway.

I've actually had a phone call from the council monday to levy complaint that I'd not applied for a demolition permission and have put a prohibition notice on further work, even the re-build until I've put in retrospective planning permission.

We're not in an historic area etc. Just been dobb'd in by our neighbour for demolition without permit!!

Great having curtain twitchers and busy bodies. What ever happened to a genuine good neighbour.

Of coarse, they are all away in their caravans. Well that's the impression I get when on site.

Steve L.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not good news

Strangely this topic came up last week on site when someone was relating the theft of their caravan and how amazed they were that the police alerted them very quickly as they had apprehended the culprits because the van/car no. plates did not match.

This happened to me several years ago when a friend was thinking of buying a similar car to mine and was having a test tow with my car and his van.We got less than a mile before being stopped and the officer concerned made my friend drive to his house and show the matching plate on his car.

Sadly things don't always work out that way.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Steve, before you start blaming the police, perhaps your sister-in-law should have a look at her neighbours first.

Unfortunately due to government red tape, a police officer can't be on every street corner a la Dixon of Dock Green so it is up to people to report crimes.

My parents were burgled many years ago, The neighbours, who had been asked to keep an eye out, saw the offenders in the back garden! However, they didn't think to call the police.

TRENDING THREADS