Taking dog to France - heartworm?

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We are taking our dog to the Dordogne in July. He has his passport so all sorted, until someone told me I should have him treated against heartworm. Has anyone else used a heartworm preventative product; if so which one?

Also, how friendly are the French to dogs now - are they still allowed in shops, restaurants, supermarkets etc?

Many thanks

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi sprite

I take it he's chipped? I don't know what breed your dog is but if it's a rottie or SBT, it won't be allowed on French campsites.

I'm a member of a dog related forum and put a query on there for you.

This is one of the replies from a person who has a holiday house in France:

------

I must say that just about all dogs I have seen in France are ON lead at all times.

The vet here told me that Heartworm and tick / flea treatment is absolutely essential as it is prevalent down there and that it has to be done I think she said a week before you go.

Your dog also has to be treated for ticks / worms IN FRANCE by a French vet 48 hours before your return, our vet said it has to be an approved treatment administered by the vet over there, not one you can buy over the counter and give it your dog yourself.

--------------

I have copied and pasted this from the French Embassy website:

When taking your pet overseas we would recommend you bring an updated vaccination record of the pet and that your animal is treated against diseases that are widespread in Europe such as:

Heartworm (Dirofilaria)

Leishmaniasis

Babesiosis

Ehrlichiosis

Tapeworm

Distemper

Hepatitis, etc.

Please talk to your veterinary surgeon about these.

----------------

I probably haven't been much help but it's opened my eyes.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had ours to the vet yesterday for her annual booster and while there had a good chat with the vet. She recommends Stronghold only which you just put onto the dog's neck after parting the hair to reveal the skin. It's simple and protects quite a few of those nasties.

Jim

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I live in France now and our Old English Sheepdog goes everywhere with us - banks, restaurants, Brico's (B&Q). The French are far more tolerant of dogs than the "dog loving" English. However, we do always ask before we go in.

Stronghold is our treatment of choice for heartworm. If you are going South watch out for processional caterpillars - these are about from April to June - their hairs are deadly to dogs.

A comment on LMH's advice - you have to have the dog checked by a vet more than 24 hours and less than 48 hours before you check in for the return trip.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies - so helpful. Yes, he's chipped and has his passport. I telephoned our vet and he suggested stronghold too so we will aort it out before we leave.

Glad he's allowed in supermarkets etc as I don't want to leave him.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Glad you got it sorted Sprite. My dogs won't be allowed on French campsites, they are one of the banned breeds.

Hope you have a good time.

Regards

Lisa

Mar 27, 2007
Visit site
hi just came back from a 2 month stay in spain and france no problems at all just had the normal jab that she has in the uk.don't forget the 24 hr time slot for returning.we arrived early and they would'nt even let us book in untill 8.45am as that was the time we saw the vet the previous day even though we were'nt sailing untill 10.00am had to come back on time allthe best peter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts