Taking food into Europe whilst caravanning.

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry but this is giving a mixed message. Are you suggesting a citizen who complies with all other laws, can disregard the destination countries food restriction laws?

If the law sets out what must not cross a boarder, the broader enforcement can if they choose to, search any person or vehicle crossing the boarder. Just because you were not searched for food contraband on this occasion, does not set a prescidence to be assumed for others to try to smuggle.

These food rules may seem petty, but there will have been some good reason in the past which has caused these restrictions to be introduced. Smuggling is illegal.

For all you know a car behind you may have been taken apart, whilst you drove off unawares.
You appear to be implying that 'Challenger' is guilty of smuggling restricted foodstuffs across EU borders Prof.
He wrote that EU customs officials showed no interest in the contents of his fridge or food cupboard.
He hasn't suggested that any food restrictions can be disregarded.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
I'm sorry but this is giving a mixed message. Are you suggesting a citizen who complies with all other laws, can disregard the destination countries food restriction laws?

If the law sets out what must not cross a boarder, the broader enforcement can if they choose to, search any person or vehicle crossing the boarder. Just because you were not searched for food contraband on this occasion, does not set a prescidence to be assumed for others to try to smuggle.

These food rules may seem petty, but there will have been some good reason in the past which has caused these restrictions to be introduced. Smuggling is illegal.

For all you know a car behind you may have been taken apart, whilst you drove off unawares.

There is one reason for these restrictions. However I believe we are not permitted to name it here !

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is one reason for these restrictions. However I believe we are not permitted to name it here !
I really cannot get too worked up about it, as back in the 1960s I visited Europe and passport checks were all in place not only to enter France, but also between European countries too. Some were waived, others wanted to see the passports and stamp them. UK is working towards implementing similar checks and restrictions for people, and some foodstuffs/plants etc, but seem to have dropped the ball. Just live with it and get on with the more important things in life.

Reactions: Parksy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I most certainly did not.
You used a quote from a caravanner who's fridge apparently hadn't been searched to point out (presumably to the author of the quoted comment) that smuggling food across EU borders is illegal and because his caravan hadn't been searched for restricted food, he shouldn't assume that the vehicle behind him had escaped scrutiny.
Perhaps I'm wrong and your finger wagging lecture was aimed at all of us, not just the person that you quoted?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Smuggling implies some wilful attempt at hiding something from the authorities with the intent to evade customs duty or seizure. I don't think that a fully stocked fridge that can be readily checked for possible contraband just by looking inside, and for which one fully accepts any consequences should it contain anything that doesn't comply with regulations, amounts to smuggling

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pointing out that a particular caravan was not searched at a particular border point is tantamount to suggesting that particular crossing point is a place where those with smuggling in mind might wish to try as the probability of being detected might be low.

The sixth bullet point of the forum rules says
  • Promoting or describing any illegal or illicit activity is prohibited. We will not allow the discussion of cracking encryption, piracy, or any other illegal conduct in our forums.
If this is the case, then posts which discuss ways to break laws should be called out or deleted rather than those who are trying to explain how certain activities might be contrary to the law or ill advised.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
To say that one was not checked at a particular crossing is hardly tantamount to aiding and abetting an unlawful act. One would have to be rather naive to think that just because someone else wasn't checked, checks are not taking place at all, not even on a random basis.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Pointing out that a particular caravan was not searched at a particular border point is tantamount to suggesting that particular crossing point is a place where those with smuggling in mind might wish to try as the probability of being detected might be low.

The sixth bullet point of the forum rules says
  • Promoting or describing any illegal or illicit activity is prohibited. We will not allow the discussion of cracking encryption, piracy, or any other illegal conduct in our forums.
If this is the case, then posts which discuss ways to break laws should be called out or deleted rather than those who are trying to explain how certain activities might be contrary to the law or ill advised.
This assumption is quite frankly ludicrous.
Now you're accusing a forum member who'se comment that you quoted of somehow attempting to aid and abet smugglers because he mentioned that the border staff weren't concerned about the contents of his fridge.
You're winding us up aren't you Prof?
Thanks for your instructions on how this forum should be moderated by the way, in the unlikely event of you becoming a forum moderator I'll be sure to consult you first before I take any decision.

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
I was referring to the long list of other banned items shall I say of a more serious nature ie explosives, guns, ammunition, etc, which if you are law abiding these restrictions shouldn't worry you, of course all types of smuggling is illegal the law is the law, like it or not. Also we all know that being stopped at customs is a hit or miss affair, they don't have the manpower, I was stopped because I drive a pick up and have a large steel chest in the rear bed which could have held two small people, which ironically they didn't look at :rolleyes: in the 70s/80s travelling around many European countries we was frequently stopped and the caravan was searched inc the fridge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts