Taking money abroad

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
G

Talking of spot fines. Budapest has a very extensive and cheap public transport network. However, tickets are bought in advaance and validated using machines on the trams, buses etc. Of course people seem to think that as there are no obvious checkers they can forget about this. Yes, until you are caught by the plain clothes inspectors who wait until the electric doors close, and then check. They also have inspectors at both ends, and the middle of the bus, tram, so there is no escape. Stating you have 'forgotten' to validate your ticket is not excuse. Being a tourist is also no excuse.

The penalty? An on the spot fine of 5000HUF (

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We were 'spot-fined' in Italy some years ago - stopped at the side of the autoroute, and fined because our bike rack didn't have a long vehicle sign. Because we didn't have the money to pay immediately, in cash (we were on our way out of Italy to France with only enough lira for a coffee stop and it was before the Euro) the two very threatening policemen held us at the roadside for an hour, examining the car and writing down various things in a notebook. They kept adding bits to the fine which had originally been

G

Mysympathies. England had not just beaten the Italians at some sport had they??? cos it sounds like they were in a bad mood for some reason.

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
Valerie

Your car/caravan didn't by any chance resemble a UK HGV ?? (joke) as your story reminded me of my "trucking days" in Italy. When we were stopped, the first question was "You buy me coffee?" if you answered no, that was when the "snap inspections" started, tacho, vehicle documents, load documents, passport, & if still nothing could be found wrong then tey would go & sit in their car with your passport for an hour or so. It was usually better to buy them the coffee, if you were in a hurry, normally enough to buy them coffees for a month!!!

Gordon

Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Valerie

Your car/caravan didn't by any chance resemble a UK HGV ?? (joke) as your story reminded me of my "trucking days" in Italy. When we were stopped, the first question was "You buy me coffee?" if you answered no, that was when the "snap inspections" started, tacho, vehicle documents, load documents, passport, & if still nothing could be found wrong then tey would go & sit in their car with your passport for an hour or so. It was usually better to buy them the coffee, if you were in a hurry, normally enough to buy them coffees for a month!!!

Gordon
Hello All

Thanks for all your information. Sorry - been offline for a few days (computer playing up!!!). We have made appointment to open a Nationwide account next week - thanks for that.

Will take note about eating out in Venice - sounds like a rip-off. I don't mind paying a decent amount for a decent meal, but that sounds like daylight robbery to me.

We will make sure we carry some cash with us - haven't been fined anywhere in Europe yet, but you never know.

Is it true that Pizza and ice-cream are so different in Italy? To be truthful, we can't wait to try the local dishes.

What about buying goods, is there anything we should be looking for in Italy? Apart from shoes that is - I'm afraid I'm past wearing high fashion shoes - I go more for comfort these days!!!

Thanks again though for all this information.

Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry - put this info in the wrong bit!! Still new to this forum thing!

Hello All

Thanks for all your information. Sorry - been offline for a few days (computer playing up!!!). We have made appointment to open a Nationwide account next week - thanks for that.

Will take note about eating out in Venice - sounds like a rip-off. I don't mind paying a decent amount for a decent meal, but that sounds like daylight robbery to me.

We will make sure we carry some cash with us - haven't been fined anywhere in Europe yet, but you never know.

Is it true that Pizza and ice-cream are so different in Italy? To be truthful, we can't wait to try the local dishes.

What about buying goods, is there anything we should be looking for in Italy? Apart from shoes that is - I'm afraid I'm past wearing high fashion shoes - I go more for comfort these days!!!

Thanks again though for all this information.

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
We where in France and Spain in september and I used my Morgan Stanly credit card ( as I get 0.5% back for paying up every moth) and a Cahoot debit card, in both instances I got 1.39 euro to the

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts