Tap Cartridge repair

May 27, 2020
Visit site
Afternoon all
One of our mixer taps is leaking and seems to be coming from the bottom of the tap.
Watched all the YouTube videos I can find and armed myself with the tools to find this (see attached). No metal nut in sight unlike every YT video I've seen.

I'm now completely stuck. The plastic bit doesn't seem to want to move in either direction and worried about using force in case it snaps.

Any ideas warmly welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_20210816_143804.jpg
    IMG_20210816_143804.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210816_125816.jpg
    IMG_20210816_125816.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What exactly are you trying to do? Remove the entire tap or merely fit a new cartridge? My experience says cartridges aren’t very successful. A whole new tap from Screwfix is cheaper and more successful in the long run.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
By the appearance from your photos your water system is with microswitched taps rather than a pressure system - the two wires connecting the tap control to the 12v pump system. It may be why the fitment is different to the expected with a brass nut to hold the cartridge in place to allow the passage of the wires. similar appearance taps seem to start around the £20 mark to operate the pressure system,, but the individually switched rather more expensive. You can check this by seeing if the wires under the taps in the washroom basin or the kitchen sink are connected to anything! If you post some details of the van and year then others may also be able to confirm this for you.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
By the appearance from your photos your water system is with microswitched taps rather than a pressure system - the two wires connecting the tap control to the 12v pump system

The days of makers fitting different taps depending on the micro or pressure operating system stopped a long time ago.
They all fit taps with microswitches, whether they are used or not .

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Out of interest we still do not know how to remove the cartridge in the tap in the photograph, but if a replacement tap ends up being needed then some on line sellers specifically state 'for pressurised systems - not microswitched'. So I thought it best to check what system Thematrix has in the van!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
some on line sellers specifically state 'for pressurised systems - not microswitched'.

Yes that is true, and taps used in caravans are the same as those used in other leisure items, and some of them do not use the same system as caravans, but UK van makers opted to fit taps with the micros because it saves time and stock to have just one item, and of course not to confuse the people fitting them!!!

Personally I think that the microswitched system is just another part to go wrong and having one switch on the pressure system is much better.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts