Tax and old fogies

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I for one have just read from start to finish through this topic discussion and thoroughly enjoyed and learned a terrific amount of possible helpful information that I can use in my up and coming official STATE retirement when I reach 66 and 8 months old (couple of years yet ) . Thank you to all and their opinions giving !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Plotter,
A little birdy tells me its your birthday, so may it the first of many more to come. Pension or otherwise.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. :lol:

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Plotter,
A little birdy tells me its your birthday, so may it the first of many more to come. Pension or otherwise.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. :lol:

yes happy birthday Plotter. welcome to the OAP's club. there is a lot to look forward to,
plenty of free time.
more time to spend with the wife.
day time TV,
regular visits to the doctors from now on.
realising that all those injuries one sustained in ones youth come back to haunt you in the form of aches and pains.
and the best one, waking up in the morning and finding something does not work that worked perfectly well the day before.
NO, on second thought, the best one is just waking up in the morning :woohoo: :woohoo:

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Im sure we all agree that Prof Johns input is most welcome but I would just like to say that some of the info given by HMRC is not always that straight forward and as was said in a previous post there are retirees on this forum and I for one am one of them.So I always think if there is member /friend that has done what what The Plotter was asking then its first hand which is more than useful to us that are not quite so quick to understand.Prof John no offence meant to you .
Sir Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
Im sure we all agree that Prof Johns input is most welcome but I would just like to say that some of the info given by HMRC is not always that straight forward and as was said in a previous post there are retirees on this forum and I for one am one of them.So I always think if there is member /friend that has done what what The Plotter was asking then its first hand which is more than useful to us that are not quite so quick to understand.Prof John no offence meant to you .
Sir Roger

Hello yur Lrdship!
I don't take offence that easily. I didn't object to the fact that others may have experienced a similar situation to Plotter and may wish to comment, hopefully all of us will reach the point where we may have to consider such things, but the fact is that two peoples who on the face of it may be very similar can have very different tax or pension affairs, So offering specific advice is unsafe. As you say in your comment HMRC advice is often unclear, which it is why it's wise to seek professional help rather than rely on a forum, where, after all the professions and abilities of contributors are hidden behind pseudonyms.

Sadly a mistake at the beginning of a pension can have far reaching effects,and has in the past reduced payment for the life of the pensioner, so its important to be certain before taking any action.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
As you say in your comment HMRC advice is often unclear, which it is why it's wise to seek professional help rather than rely on a forum, where, after all the professions and abilities of contributors are hidden behind pseudonyms.

Sadly a mistake at the beginning of a pension can have far reaching effects,and has in the past reduced payment for the life of the pensioner, so its important to be certain before taking any action.

hi John. I absolutely agree, after cocking up my pension pot, and costing me a small fortune for the first 3mths.
until it was sorted by an advisor, [painful experience] I really wish I had made some enquires of the retired members when all the paperwork came through. might have warned me of the pitfalls. all I had was the official gobbledegook that was very unclear to say the least. no official body talks to any other official body [well not to your advantage that is] the tax and pension scenario is a minefield waiting to blow you up.
I am usually the one that believes doing yourself is better, except for this, if you are going to retire soon seek professional help as soon as possible before you send in any forms.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts