terrible drivers

Jul 29, 2006
Visit site
oops somebody needs to revise the highway code, re hgv can only drive at 56mph legally on the motorway.i drive a hgv and tow a caravan,tell me why when im driving my hgv do people cut infront of me at the last minute and then brake hard because the gap theve pulled into is too small causing me to brake and try to stop 32 ton in a space that i left for a safe braking distance,why when i move over to the middle lane on a motorway to allow cars to enter from a slip road do they then speed up and leave you stranded in the middle lane,why isnt courtesy taught when you are taking lessons,a simple wave of thanks doesnt cost anything.too many people want to get where they want to go without any thought for anyone else.ooh now i feel much better

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

One of our RAF Leyland Hippos broke down. I don't know the civilian description, but the RAF called them 10-tonners. 10 litre engine, 3 axles.

It was hooked onto the back of another Hippo, using a solid draw-bar, and the convoy continued on it way ....... until a Morris 1000 overtook the towed truck, and dived into the space between them. :-0

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi John.

I share your sentiments entirely. People today are just out to look after number 1 and don't give a stuff about others. I've flashed my lights to let drivers turn across my path because I'm in no rush and all I got in return was the V's.

In the past i've stated on the web that I can drive fast and on occassions do so, but only when safe to do so. Fast doesn't mean just slap the pedal to the metal, it means driving quickly but safely and being very aware of what is infront, behind and to the sides. I often come across twits in the righthand lane of the dual carriageway and motorway blissfully toddling along when the lefthand lanes are completely empty.

As I've stated on the other thread on this topic, if the police took time to catch and prosecute the bad drivers the safety of our roads would vastly improve. But they would rather hide behind bushes with a hair dryer and catch driver 4 Mph over the national speed limit. I also know why, It's called the quick nick!! This is because a speeding ticket is automatically processed, but doing someone for driving without due care and attention usually becomes a court case. So in the name of economics the blind eye is turned. Now before I get it in the neck from the coal face coppers, I also know that they are given their objectives from the desk jocky's with the pips and stripes who get their orders from the whitehall w****rs, who want to keep their bonuses and perks.

If I could issue a

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I agree that the general standing of driving has fallen dramatically over the past few years. Unfortunately this also seems to include police officers. I'm talking about the day to day driving of normal patrol cars. Parking on yellow lines when popping in to do a bit of shopping, failing to indicate, speeding, using mobile phones and hand held radios etc etc. I know sometimes there are operational reasons for ignoring the laws that would get the rest of us a ticket but the majority of the time it is just plain bad driving. I am in no way "anti police" but until their driving improves it is unlikely they will stop and educate us mere mortals.

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
I agree that the general standing of driving has fallen dramatically over the past few years. Unfortunately this also seems to include police officers. I'm talking about the day to day driving of normal patrol cars. Parking on yellow lines when popping in to do a bit of shopping, failing to indicate, speeding, using mobile phones and hand held radios etc etc. I know sometimes there are operational reasons for ignoring the laws that would get the rest of us a ticket but the majority of the time it is just plain bad driving. I am in no way "anti police" but until their driving improves it is unlikely they will stop and educate us mere mortals.
I put it down to the lack of police patrols, not many are seen on the roads nowadays, there was a time when the ramps on the motorways always seemed to have a patrol car on view, don't seem to see many now...

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi John, can you tell me why lorry drivers tail gate my car / caravan at 56mph as if i brake suddenly i will and my family will be dead.

its not just car drivers that can be idiotic.

I drive many miles on motor ways and the way lorrys get you tail pipe terrifies me.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with philspadders. I have had MORE problems with wagon drivers who, because of the engine size can go past me easily up a long gradient and decide once past will cut in sharply. Not only do they seem to like getting into your air stream they like to cut close to you when overtaking causing that vacum and drawing the unit out.

They know what they are doing so I cannot accept any sort of excuse from any wagon driver who says its down to the person towing a caravan and should have more training when towing.

I have said it before a lot of time "If there is slow moving traffic it is usually down to TWO wagons trying to pass each other at 56 mph and not a caravan unit". Just because a person ends up behind on it does not mean its their fault.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Perhaps some of us don't want to tow at 60mph, it is a lot more economical to tow at 50.

I occasionally drive at what I believe is a true 56mph and HGVs still pass at what seems to be about 5mph.

I am not anti HGVs, they have an important job to do, but I always give HGVs with foriegn plate a wide berth!

Jul 29, 2006
Visit site
hi i agree with the comments about tail gaters,its really dangerous and thats why i get angry when people cut in and break causing me to drop back,i want to know if these drivers would cut in front of a police car and brake,i think not.i also give foreign drivers a wide berth,only they know what they are doing and where they are going.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
To help prevent the draught from HGVs deflecting the outfit, try this: when an HGV is aproaching your rear, gently position your outfit to the outer limit of the inside lane, then just as the lorry draws level with the rear of the caravan, pull into the nearside of your lane. Because the lorry was further into his lane than he would normally have been, there will be a greater gap between you, which he will not have the chance to narrow. Believe me, it works.

G

Amazing really, raccoon, you said you had a HGV LICENSE,on an earlier thread,and yet reading your comments it hard to believe your lack of lorry knowledge,and your strong anti feelings, nay ignorance on the matter.!

As Raymond said earlier,the speed limit for hgv's on m/ways is actually 60 mph and not 56mph, but as of 2007 all vehicles from a 51 plate had to have limiters fitted,I recall firstly it being 04 plates onwards and then back to 51 plates.

This includes all commercial vehicles of over 35cwt! which means non hgv too.

On top of this, there are older vehicles that some had restrictions set at 62mph,as long as they are earlier than 51 plate, then these hgv vehicles are legally allowed to still travel at 60 mph on m/ways.

7.5 tonne vehicles pre 51, and which can be mistaken for 12 toone hgvs can still travel at 70 mph and use the outside lane of the m/way.

Now add to this "my speedos better than yours" mentality,and the generally known factor that lorry speedos are more accurate than car speedos,then it will not be unusual for some to claim they were doing 60,and has a lorry taking over them!

PS speed limiters have a plus and minus limit so many lorries travel at speeds between 52 and 58 legally even though they have to comply with the 56 mph speed limiter

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it makes any diference what you are driving or speed you are going some people do not care about other drivers.

They just seem to have blinkers on.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi john, The 10 tonner I used to use was geard down to 56mph. And as far as my vehicle is concerned I can do a lot more than 60. I prefere to keep at a safe speed and get my family to where we are going. So I let idiots who think its ok to cut people up and other caravaners to do what they want.

Yes I am ANTI wagon driver now because of a LOT of BAD waqon drivers.

G

I suppose racoon by the same token you must also be anti car drivers too then? when one considers the vast amount of poor and reckless solely car drivers that frequent our roads these days,but thankfully they are still a minority, its hard to imagine you would not condone these road users too when you have such a poor opinion of hgv drivers in general, again because of a minority of bad ones!

I suppose using your logic we could extend this to cover caravanners too, have seen a few poorly driven examples of these too, so I suppose its logical to say how bad and inconsiderate ALL caravanners are!!!!!

G

not at all I have said it before there are good drivers and bad drivers, you will find both in cars lorries and towing caravans.

there are bad bikers and good ones, sure point out ones experiences, but to generalise is rather pointless.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Many years ago I sat my HGV 1 driving test which I was lucky enough to pass. Before that in my youth I'd been a transit van driver, then I progressed to 7.5 ton trucks, after that class 3 HGV 4 wheelers up to 16 tons and only then did I sit my class 1.

After that I was given the worst tractor unit on the fleet, the furthest and most awkward jobs etc until I had gained good experience and worked my way up to the newer and more powerful 38 tonne (at the time) artics.

An old driver once said to me that he regarded every single other driver on the road as a useless incompetent homicidal maniac.

He advised me to always expect the worst from other road users and he said that if I did expect the worst I'd never be disappointed.

He was absolutely right of course, there is no one group of drivers worse than any other because by and large they are all bad at one time or another (even me!)

I no longer drive trucks (we used to call them wagons in my day) but I continue to bear in mind the wise old guy's words and I try to drive defensively and considerately.

All the rest are maniac's - honestly!

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Many years ago I sat my HGV 1 driving test which I was lucky enough to pass. Before that in my youth I'd been a transit van driver, then I progressed to 7.5 ton trucks, after that class 3 HGV 4 wheelers up to 16 tons and only then did I sit my class 1.

After that I was given the worst tractor unit on the fleet, the furthest and most awkward jobs etc until I had gained good experience and worked my way up to the newer and more powerful 38 tonne (at the time) artics.

An old driver once said to me that he regarded every single other driver on the road as a useless incompetent homicidal maniac.

He advised me to always expect the worst from other road users and he said that if I did expect the worst I'd never be disappointed.

He was absolutely right of course, there is no one group of drivers worse than any other because by and large they are all bad at one time or another (even me!)

I no longer drive trucks (we used to call them wagons in my day) but I continue to bear in mind the wise old guy's words and I try to drive defensively and considerately.

i agree with parksy about thinking all other drivers are maniac's in charge of a killing machine's. if we are all honest we have done something that would get up other driver's nose.

yes i'm a female driver that drivers 40 miles on motorway every day to get to work and also tows our van when we go away has o/h can't drive.

what i would like to know why do some lady driver's enter motorway at 40mph and then sit in middle lane at 50 and not move over. when you pass them they look scarced to death gripping the wheel so thightly.

sorry to other lady driver's if i've upset you.

ann

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site

That was very good parksy , especially the bit about regarding all drivers as potential homicidal maniacs ,made me laugh any way

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Well put Parksy.

I too treat every motorist as a complete moron who is and will do the most stupid thing at any moment. But I don't loose track of being considerate too.

Having been in motor industry developing chassis technology for Lotus and AML, I can do the sort of "show boating" we see Clarckson and Hamster do weekly. But getting smokey burnouts in corners is actually loosing control of a car at the wrong moment, but it makes good film fodder.

One only has to look at the motorway tarmac to see the stories it tell's of unattentive drivers. Yep, the skid marks where some twit has pulled out in front of a faster vehicle, or where a speeding driver isn't alert and has nearly rear ended another vehicle.

These days the standard of people driving is diabolical, and it isn't helped by the fact that every vehicle manufacturer has a souped up version of their product. For example take the transit, which has been the most popular van for decades. You can get a ST version of that complete with the white racing stripes, alloy wheels and big chromed exhaust. Then the Germans got in on the act with the VW T30 sportline van. Who wants a van that goes like the clappers when legally they are limited to 70Mph an "not" supposed to be in the outside lane of the motorway anyway!!

Well I expect the likes of Andy Berk, Ian diot any Ali Tossa. Because that's usually who we presume must be behind the wheel.

But of coarse being inconsiderate even has it's place with some caravanners too. Take lats friday for instance. I was leaving Birmingham airport at 5am and travelling southish on the M42 to pick up the M5 when I came across two berks together. A soerento towing a pennine trailer tent and a Trooper towing a twin axle caravan with a 200Kg plus nose weight. These two plonkers were driving in lane two (no suprises there), but on a completely empty motorway for as far as the eye could see. So now to legally pass them, I had to go from lane 1 to 3 and back again. Just guessing here but I presume they'd made an early start for the cornish coast I guess.

As I've said on neumerous occassions if the police targeted these types for a change, the roads would soon become a lot safer and the police moneybox would be much fuller than what they get now from speeders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts