Test or reviews

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I sometimes wonder about the tets that certain magazines do on new caravans. Mostly the report is absolutely glowing the caravan is the best thing since bubble gum, however when people start buying them and using them they find all sorts of obvious problems which should have come to the attention of the reviewer.

Do the reviewers actually use these vans for a week or two and trst every concievable facility on board or do they park them up on the nearest car park and just stick their heads inside?

What are your thoughts on ther reviews. I also think that it is time that PC updated their layouts in the magazine to reflect the new layouts in some caravans.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
I totally agree with you Ian, see the threads under "technical" " new Bailey Senator on board water pumps"

The caravan club in its review refer to the new Senator as having "improved locker access" - this is rubbish, the locker door only opens 90 degrees and you end up becoming a hunchback, in addition, the so called improved locker light is concealed and hardly gives off any light at all ( infact ours doesn't work)

The on board water system is so backwards compared to the old system, yet not one of the three reviews I read in Practical Caravan, Caravan or Caravan Club mags mentions it. If you read the strands as above you will appreciate what I mean. In addition, they have done away with the stable door and fly screen, this means that the door has to permanently closed with the window open if you don't want flies, mossies or other flying insects getting in, not only does this reduce the amount of ventilation in the van it reduces the amount of light getting in. How can they say that this is an improvement? There are genuinely some very good improvements, however I don't feel that the reviews properly reflect what real people will think of the vans once they start to use them. Any suggestions? I do intend to write to the editors however with my comments.

Sian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caravan manufacturers don't realy test their products. A week away for one of their directors doesn't really count. Magazines are there to promote products, it's what keeps their advertisers happy.

I've never yet seen a proper test of a caravan, just promotional write-ups.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
In short no i do not think they test the vans by living in them and using them for a decent period, not too long ago i read a review in a monthly mag (not pc) about the ace equirry which we where looking at in its dealer special guise at glossop caravans (celebration 590), after reading a glowing review about how good the van was and how the build quality had improved etc etc we decided to buy one. We have now had the van 2 months its been used 5 times for weekends and its now back at glossop having a list of twelve faults repaired the worst being a side window which we have found to be hanging out of its bracket, this window has never been opened so it was obviousely faulty from new, we only noticed when the van got wet inside as i washed it. having said this we as the buyers are the best reviewers and we have forums like this one to express our views as bailey are currently finding out. i use a forum site called caravansites.cco.uk to find sites to stay on as all the reviews are by caravanners who have stayed on them, you look at some brochures and the sites look fantastic, look it up on caravansites and you might just be glad you did.

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
We may all have forgotten one thing on these caravan reports, ie the hospitality supplied by the manufacturer before any test report is carried out.

Further to the above the latest edition of PC mag has stared to make some adverse comments on products tested, so congratulations PC Mag.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All the coments made on this thread confirm my own opinion that the caravan press is here to promote which ever manufacturor comes up with the most freebys.how many editors actualy buy a caravan ? .How many have the use of a caravan suplied by a manufacturor to [test]HA ha ? The reviews in the CC magazine are so wishy washy and inconclusive that they are a joke. The best and most critical test reports i have read recently have been in the which caravan magazine .This subject has been aired many times without any response from the editors of any of the magazines ,so dont expect any change Coljac

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
In short no i do not think they test the vans by living in them and using them for a decent period, not too long ago i read a review in a monthly mag (not pc) about the ace equirry which we where looking at in its dealer special guise at glossop caravans (celebration 590), after reading a glowing review about how good the van was and how the build quality had improved etc etc we decided to buy one. We have now had the van 2 months its been used 5 times for weekends and its now back at glossop having a list of twelve faults repaired the worst being a side window which we have found to be hanging out of its bracket, this window has never been opened so it was obviousely faulty from new, we only noticed when the van got wet inside as i washed it. having said this we as the buyers are the best reviewers and we have forums like this one to express our views as bailey are currently finding out. i use a forum site called caravansites.cco.uk to find sites to stay on as all the reviews are by caravanners who have stayed on them, you look at some brochures and the sites look fantastic, look it up on caravansites and you might just be glad you did.
I think the address for caravansites is incorrect as all I get is a blank page!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Ian, very sorry the web address is wrong i put down one for a site that closed years ago can,t think how i remembered it. The correct address is www.ukcampsite.co.uk I find it very usefull.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Ian, very sorry the web address is wrong i put down one for a site that closed years ago can,t think how i remembered it. The correct address is www.ukcampsite.co.uk I find it very usefull.
I am a member of UKcampsite and use it regularly to check out sites. We are off to their Hereford meet near Pembridge this weekend

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts