Thank goodness for meerkats

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
2 insurance renewals arrived today, one for house and contents gone up 48% , and one for one of our vehicles gone up 53%, quick initial check shows both can be obtained at considerably less by switching, so that is what we will have to do. We had been with both companies for a number of years with no claims, and minor increases or in one year reductions, so clearly the companies do not value our business.
Seperately an offer of car insurance arrived from Lloyds Bank asking me to get an online quote, so I logged in with personal details to be told'it looks like you already have a policy with us, so you need to phone us' I chose to discontinue the application and won't be phoning them. Obviously the computer or bot or AI that they are using doesn't think we may have more than one car to insure. I may even visit a local broker and see what they can offer, just seems I am at odds with the modern world

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
2 insurance renewals arrived today, one for house and contents gone up 48% , and one for one of our vehicles gone up 53%, quick initial check shows both can be obtained at considerably less by switching, so that is what we will have to do. We had been with both companies for a number of years with no claims, and minor increases or in one year reductions, so clearly the companies do not value our business.
Seperately an offer of car insurance arrived from Lloyds Bank asking me to get an online quote, so I logged in with personal details to be told'it looks like you already have a policy with us, so you need to phone us' I chose to discontinue the application and won't be phoning them. Obviously the computer or bot or AI that they are using doesn't think we may have more than one car to insure. I may even visit a local broker and see what they can offer, just seems I am at odds with the modern world
A number of the “ blue chip” Insurers , approached directly, are currently giving reasonable packaged prices on all home and car(s) multi cars, covers.
Our building contents all risks and my car are under one Insurers umbrella. RSA no longer do motors so next month our other car will be added to the “ family “ policy.
No names but look to those whose HO are Norwich, Stratford upon Avon and Liverpool😉😉

Reactions: woodsieboy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
House renewal went up this year from £310 to £497. Phoned LV and asked if there was any wiggle room. Not a chance, even the automated message stated the renewal quote was the final cost.
Went onto money supermarket and compare the Meerkats.
And found some sensible quotes below £400.
Same with the car a couple of months ago.

May 15, 2023
Visit site
I used to do some work for RSA 20 years ago, and even then their motor insurance made a loss, the “older” insurance companies are straddled with expensive buildings, lots of UK staff, IT systems that require extensive and expensive upgrades.
Contrast to the new kids on the block who are operating with much lower operating costs, admin facilities outside of the UK in low cost countries, it’s no surprise that the traditional firms are bailing out.

One thing that I have never understood is why so many lightly damaged vehicles, that really could be cost effectively repaired get written off by the insurers?
A friend of mine has a 6 year old Golf, whilst parked it was hit by a skip lorry ( who left their details) damaging a headlamp, front wing and a door, the insurance company classed it as a class N write off (non structural damage, but can be repaired) and paid out £10.5K, he bought the car back as salvage for £2.8K. We repaired it, all the parts (pattern but insurance approved) were bolt on and cost less than £600, the paint shop charged £425, our Labour was around 8 hours, so lets say that should have cost £800
A repair total of £1825, let’s add a months worth of hire car, say £1000, grand total of £2825.
No wonder insurance companies margins are so poor!

Reactions: Dustydog
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Martin Lewis did a very good prog on ITV on 7th Nov on insurance. He explained why the day to get your new insurance quotes is exactly 23 days before it is due, and typically 21 days for house insurance. I would recommend anyone about to renew should watch this prog on ITVx - it may save you a lot of money!

Reactions: RogerL
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
House renewal went up this year from £310 to £497. Phoned LV and asked if there was any wiggle room. Not a chance, even the automated message stated the renewal quote was the final cost.
Went onto money supermarket and compare the Meerkats.
And found some sensible quotes below £400.
Same with the car a couple of months ago.
Wow. LV just renewed our house insurance for £261.93, possibly a lesser value, but more likely a post code lottery.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think I have managed to find both insurances cheaper, although still at risk of 'dynamic' price changes before renewal, I don't understand why the companies have to be so different, some of the quotes were even higher than my renewals. Once I change the original companies have lost me, and I would be unlikely to return, i accept that some of the quotes may have been higher because our profile didn't match theirs, but we have 4 vehicles to insure, house and contents and caravan, in the good old days that would have made us attractive customers, but not valued now

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts