That 13 pin socket problems again

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I have mentioned this before that connecting and disconnecting the socket has become nigh impossible. My socket is under the rear panel and have to get on my knees to do it . The socket was so hard when we were about to go on holiday that my younger neighbour had to do it. On campsite the blessed thing would not come out so strapped it up out of the way. Today got underneath to see what is wrong , apart from position of the socket. Could not see why it had the problem . Soaked it in WD 40 and it became bit more easy to do but not easy enough. What else should I look at ?.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Firstly WD 40 is not the best stuff to use as it can cause some plastics to swell. I use a little silicone spray on mine. All I can think of is that due to the awkward location the 90 degree lock has become damaged in some way and forced. Parts are cheap enough, it’s an easy job to change the plug and socket Could also investigate moving the socket to a slightly more accessible place too.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have mentioned this before that connecting and disconnecting the socket has become nigh impossible. My socket is under the rear panel and have to get on my knees to do it . The socket was so hard when we were about to go on holiday that my younger neighbour had to do it. On campsite the blessed thing would not come out so strapped it up out of the way. Today got underneath to see what is wrong , apart from position of the socket. Could not see why it had the problem . Soaked it in WD 40 and it became bit more easy to do but not easy enough. What else should I look at ?.
You are not on your own i to have problems with my 13pin plug mine goes behind the rear bumper and you cannot see it , and you have to lower it down well yesterday the thing would not come down . but someone got it down and now i have left it down for easy access .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had an issue with ours and it was very difficult to fit and remove. The dealer fitted another make and no issues now.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
One assumes that everyone has a plug corrector - that green thing that aligns the pins correctly?
Otherwise as said above a smear of silicone grease or a bit of spray of it will enable the bayonet mechanical connection to work correctly. TAKE CARE not to get silicone grease on the pins or pads as it can cause minor insulation-type problems. If silicone grease is not available GT85 will also do a good job as it leaves a smear of PTFE behind.
Also - apologies if I am preaching to the converted - but if you cannot see the socket always remember that the disc on the side of the plug has to be 90deg anti-clockwise from the socket cover hinge with the cover open. Usually the socket cover will be hinged on the left (9 o'clock) so that disc thingy on the outside of the plug needs to be at 6 o'clock for correct insertion alignment.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
One assumes that everyone has a plug corrector - that green thing that aligns the pins correctly?
Otherwise as said above a smear of silicone grease or a bit of spray of it will enable the bayonet mechanical connection to work correctly. TAKE CARE not to get silicone grease on the pins or pads as it can cause minor insulation-type problems. If silicone grease is not available GT85 will also do a good job as it leaves a smear of PTFE behind.
Also - apologies if I am preaching to the converted - but if you cannot see the socket always remember that the disc on the side of the plug has to be 90deg anti-clockwise from the socket cover hinge with the cover open. Usually the socket cover will be hinged on the left (9 o'clock) so that disc thingy on the outside of the plug needs to be at 6 o'clock for correct insertion alignment.
Have the green thing and all the components look in good order so will clean the plug and apply PTFE . tHANKS

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
A bit surprised by Woodentop's comment about the hinging of the socket - I have only ever had the hinge at the top on several fittings of swan neck (current) or fixed flange bars on a succession of tow cars.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
A bit surprised by Woodentop's comment about the hinging of the socket - I have only ever had the hinge at the top on several fittings of swan neck (current) or fixed flange bars on a succession of tow cars.

If the socket is fitted on the vehicle (as mine have always been using removable unit) the cover hinge has always been on the left.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Same here on all my vehicles since 2006 so maybe Woodentop had his fitted side on?

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi, at last solved the problem with not being able to connect or disconnect caravan. Today solved the problem. Took the fitting off and found the inside had got damaged somehow . Bought another and spent couple of hours soldering the wires where i had to cut them off the old socket. Guess what, the flap is to one side and not on top. The old one was far superior than one bought , the wires would not pull out as they had clips which I could not prize open

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts